AuthorTopic: Whats the legal stance on......  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Fuddy as muck

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Whats the legal stance on......
« on: March 12, 2007, 16:58:29 »
Using a land rover 2a pick up with rear bench seats and carrying rear passengers. Is it illegal or due to the age of the vehicle is it something that you can get away with, like not having seat belts?

Darren

Offline edy

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 17:18:21 »
i think that it is fine as long as you fit seatbelts
landy 109 truck-cab ex-mill (currently for sale)
series 2A V6 essex 8)

http://www.freewebs.com/edylandrovers/index.htm
"there is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it aint a train"

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 17:54:12 »
I think its a bit dodgy having it as a pickup unless you fit a proper seat with belts. Fit a ragtop and you will be fine.

You dont need rear seat belts pre 70 something IIRC.

My car is a 1980 and it doesnt have seatbelts in the back and it has passed 4 or 5 mots now in my ownership.

Offline edy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 19:05:56 »
mine is 83, plus i have a rag top, i should be ok fitting bench seats in that, i didnt no you did not need seatbelts though, might fit them still just incase
landy 109 truck-cab ex-mill (currently for sale)
series 2A V6 essex 8)

http://www.freewebs.com/edylandrovers/index.htm
"there is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it aint a train"

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 20:36:41 »
The law on seat belts is summarised here http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/motorvehicles/seatbelt_law.htm#Table

Being on the right side of the law is only part of the equasion though ? Think carefully about the journey you are taking.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 16:01:14 »
I Fully understand the laws on passengers in regards to the station wagon but i wondered if it was illegal to carry passengers sitting on side monted bench seats in the rear tub of a 1969 vehicle. From the reply's recieved so far i think its safe to say this is one of the questions that no one really knows the answer to :D

Darren

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 17:15:31 »
Quote from: "Family Drat"
I Fully understand the laws on passengers in regards to the station wagon but i wondered if it was illegal to carry passengers sitting on side monted bench seats in the rear tub of a 1969 vehicle. From the reply's recieved so far i think its safe to say this is one of the questions that no one really knows the answer to :D

Darren

Why wouldnt it be legal?. seatbelts are not a requirement on that age of vehicle.

Offline S188

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 17:34:30 »
Not sure you need seatbelts on sideways faceing seats full stop! My mate used to have an R reg 90 with sideways seats (bench not Stationwagon) in the back and that never had a problem with an MOT.

Anything built before abotu 1984 only needs front seatbelts (unless like my motor its something like pre 1965 in which case you need nothing).  Aparently the main issure is there needs to be something classed as a seat there like fixed wooden slats or benches to be classed as seats and the insurers must rate it for the number of passengers.  Someone I know once asked a policeman what he could be done for with people sitting on the wheelboxes whilst insured, apanantly the answer was and insecure load :shock: so maybe its just as grey for them!
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 17:41:43 »
Quote from: "S188"
Not sure you need seatbelts on sideways faceing seats full stop! My mate used to have an R reg 90 with sideways seats (bench not Stationwagon) in the back and that never had a problem with an MOT.

Anything built before abotu 1984 only needs front seatbelts (unless like my motor its something like pre 1965 in which case you need nothing).  Aparently the main issure is there needs to be something classed as a seat there like fixed wooden slats or benches to be classed as seats and the insurers must rate it for the number of passengers.  Someone I know once asked a policeman what he could be done for with people sitting on the wheelboxes whilst insured, apanantly the answer was and insecure load :shock: so maybe its just as grey for them!

If the vehice wasn't fitted with seatbelts when it was made then it doesn't need seatbelts. If it was fitted with side facing seats or bench seats then they are legal for the carriage of passengers. The new child seat belt laws make it illegal to use a lapbelt on a child in a side facing seat. this means that you can carry children on a sidefacing seat but you're not allowed to use a lapbelt to secure them in the back. So you are legally allowed to carry adults and children unrestrained in the rear of your landy.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline James.Harwood

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 19:17:55 »
You would be increasing the number of seats, as a truck cab you have 3 seats and are therefore only insured to carry driver + 2 others.

If you add seats you will need to inform dvla and insurance company to be legal.  Other than that no problems.

Unless your registration form doesn't specify body and number of seats in which case you just need to make sure that you only carry upto the number of people you are insured for.

The fact that the rear passengers are 'uncovered' is no problem - see convertable cars.

As for seatbelts in a S2a they are not necessary as they were only fitted in the front when new and never fitted in the back.  If you have anyone in the back just remember there is nothing to stop them leaving the vehicle when you go round that bend to fast or over a speed hump.

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 12:55:06 »
James has got it. You need to tell the DVLA and your insurers. Sideways facing seats do not have seat belts fitted, I think it's more dangerous with than without.  We altered the number of seats in our 101, there was no problem the V5 was changed to reflect it and the insurers were happy.

Chris

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal