AuthorTopic: Newbie needs towbar help asap!!!  (Read 1106 times)

Offline se4

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Newbie needs towbar help asap!!!
« on: March 12, 2007, 13:28:40 »
Right then who's the expert on here??  :lol:

My girlfriend has a 94 Pajero SWB and needs a towbar to tow her horse box.

I've aquired a towbar from a local scrapy off a LWB shogun, what's the chances of this fitting? Whats involved and what parts will i need if any?

Thanks in advance for your help  :D

Offline Ozzy

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 15:15:44 »
Hi mate,
you'll need a fitting kit for it, should be able to get one from any good towing shop. All of the holes are in the same place, on a shoggy they all have nuts welded into the chassis so you can just bolt the towbar up to them, on the paj only the front holes have these, sometimes they're not quite in line with the holes also so some drilling may be required.
The fitting kit consists of two nuts welded onto flat pieces of steel that fit inside the chassis, you have to line these up with the centre holes, and for the rearmost holes, you should have 2 long bolts that go right through the chassis and a tubular spacer with washers, this is to stop the end of the chassis box section from squashing when you tighten the bolts up.
Top tip..the front holes which have the nuts welded into the chassis are very often rusted up, if you haven't got a tap to fit, find a bolt that fits, grind a nice clean flat down opposite sides and use it as a tap with plenty of WD40
Hope this helps
Lee
1994 Pajero LWB 2.8 Exceed, the clean one
Suzuki SJ410, the dirty one
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2743969
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3622736

Offline se4

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 17:40:58 »
Cheers for the speedy reply, however.......

Got the main frame up and located, but it also came with a large plate which fixes to the original towing point in the middle of the bumper, and also to the main frame i just fitted.

Here's the problem, the large plate is a kind of 's' shape, but looking at it it should be a flat plate so that it meets all the faces.

Probably wouldn't need this extra plate for normal towing but as my girlfriend is going to be towing horse boxes, and her dad is helping me fit it, we'd like to fit this support bracket for extra strength.

Now are you confused???  :lol:

Offline se4

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 18:14:17 »
Not the same year i dont think but definately a mk2

Offline Ozzy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 11:17:58 »
Quote from: "se4"

Got the main frame up and located, but it also came with a large plate which fixes to the original towing point in the middle of the bumper, and also to the main frame i just fitted.

Here's the problem, the large plate is a kind of 's' shape, but looking at it it should be a flat plate so that it meets all the faces.

Probably wouldn't need this extra plate for normal towing but as my girlfriend is going to be towing horse boxes, and her dad is helping me fit it, we'd like to fit this support bracket for extra strength.

Have you got a piccy of it. You shouldn't really need the extra plate, but looking at mine, the face of the towbar where you mount the ball sticks out some way from the towing eye in the bumper so a flat plate wouldn't be any good, difficult to say without seeing it.
Here's mine anyway, not too clear but the only picture I have with the towbar on

You could go here http://www.pocuk.com/forums/index.php if you need any more help, lots of it available.
ATB
Lee
1994 Pajero LWB 2.8 Exceed, the clean one
Suzuki SJ410, the dirty one
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2743969
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3622736

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:59:18 »
Quote from: "Ozzy"
Quote from: "se4"

Have you got a piccy of it. You shouldn't really need the extra plate, but looking at mine, the face of the towbar where you mount the ball sticks out some way from the towing eye in the bumper so a flat plate wouldn't be any good, difficult to say without seeing it.
Here's mine anyway, not too clear but the only picture I have with the towbar on

You could go here http://www.pocuk.com/forums/index.php if you need any more help, lots of it available.
ATB
Lee

Have pulled almost 2.5T on the same setup as above, I dont think a horse box will bother it too much :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 17:29:59 »
Evilgoat i think the clue in the plate is "S" shape HTH lol
1995 300tdi 90 rebuilt and on the road (but still a project)
1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 Auto (failed its MOT and for sale if you want it)

"I Havn't got a Bad Attitude; you just can't handle my personality"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal