AuthorTopic: Money burning a hole in me!!  (Read 1016 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Money burning a hole in me!!
« on: March 11, 2007, 21:54:54 »
Hey,
Well i thought i would return to the forum after selling my discovery,
I have about £1500 and would like to buy an 90.. What would i get for the money? I saw one with an old turbodiesel engine in for £1000 Would this be a good buy it has lots of off roady stuff, but i heard the engines are pretty bad?!? Im 16 so would only need it for off roading untill im 17 then i could maybe stick a tdi in it?
Can anyone advise me what i could get for my money!
Kind regards
Sam

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 22:36:43 »
Buy the best chassis you can......not a lot else matters..if you want a few ideas check out my site and the build/rebuild/rebuild of my 90, TD to start, then fitted an NA diesel and finally now a TDI... any questions ping me an email..

Cheers Steve

Offline Lawnmower

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 18:48:52 »
Turbo diesals are all right! can still get to 70mph plus, though a bit noisy.

There not as rapid as later engines, but a good entry engine.
--------------------------
FOR SALE Landrover 2.5 TD 90 FOR SALE

Offline dimple

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 20:06:12 »
solid chasis and bulkhead are your main issue, you can still get a good deal on a solid 90, as to TD's mine has done 170,000 i do oil and filter change every 2500 miles and she is still going strong, hope this helps

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 20:25:40 »
Hmmm thats interesting, now i'm not sure which engine to go for, ive seen a lot of td's but thought they were terrible?!?  I notice lawnmower that your 90 is ffor sale, how much may i ask?
Kind Regards
Sam

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 22:42:32 »
Paid 1700 for mine as aTD, the td isnt a definate bad engine, its not good if abused, it can overheat very very easily when rad gets slightly blocked but if you really take care of it it can last a long time. In good nic its reliable, very simple and better than a NA diesel on the power front.

personally and this is from a good few years experience I would go

1) TDI - 200 is a cracking reliable simple lump, overheat it and yes the head gasket will go and head warp, change the cambelt regular or it gets expensive when it breaks, dont block the rad with mud cos its smaller than a NA or TD rad.....

2) NA - superb simple reliable engine, [!Expletive Deleted!] all can really go wrong even if abused, only prob is it is underpowered compared to the rest but get a good un and itll last forever.

3) TD - you may get a good one but for every good one there are 20 bad ones...if there are more than 21 TD's still on the road that is :), you really need someone knowledgeable to look at it.... crankcase overpresssure is common, cracks between cylinders in the head common but not always terminal...overheating a prob, worn turbo impellar grinding ally body into the air intake... worn turbo bearings...remove intake pipe and wobble the impellar to test.

Cheers Steve

Offline Lawnmower

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 18:13:06 »
Quote from: "onzasam"
Hmmm thats interesting, now i'm not sure which engine to go for, ive seen a lot of td's but thought they were terrible?!?  I notice lawnmower that your 90 is ffor sale, how much may i ask?
Kind Regards
Sam

just saw your other thread.

I'll send you a PM
FOR SALE Landrover 2.5 TD 90 FOR SALE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal