AuthorTopic: Thinking of getting a rangie  (Read 1909 times)

skip

Thinking of getting a rangie
« on: March 11, 2007, 15:24:23 »
I'm getting a bit chessed off with my cherry. As much as I love it, parts are expensive and I find the driving possition a little cramped and whenever I have passengers in the back they always moan there is no leg room.  also i've given it a lift and a few other minor mods which make it less user friendly, the trouble is I can't really afford all the travelling for the events ect.

So i'd like a standard range rover. ideally a swap would be the order of the day, skintness abounds!

I reckon my cherry is worth between £500-700 notes. What do you guys reckon i'd get for that kind of money. an auto would be nice, a gas conversion a must, age/milage not too much of an issue as long as it's tidy. Diesel is an absolute no no!

any comments please, or if anyone would like some photos to consider a swap, i'd be more than happy to post some.

Offline Skibum346

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 20:55:56 »
Swap a land Rover... for a jeep...?

let me think...   :-k       8-[         [-(

Sorry... can't see it myself....!

Good luck with your search though!

skip

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 21:41:55 »
I can understand you sceptisism. I made the biggest mistake when I bought it.
 I had the chance of my old mans series 1 disco that he bought brand new, but no instead I thought I'd have a jeep just to be different, Oh how I've paid and paid and paid #-o

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:04:29 »
You'll not get much RRC for that money and certainly not with a good LPG system, given that a s*** system will be £350 and a good one £1250 plus fitting.  There are also a lot of pitfalls in buying cheap Rangies :( , you want to spend a bit more and buy one that stands a chance of passing another MOT.

And don't worry, I doubt you will find a decent TDi for your budget and the VM turbo diesel is not very polular, which is a shame as when it works it's a good engine and quieter than the 200TDi.  Just a bit slow.

You'll probably be looking at a mid-80's 3.5 then.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

skip

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 20:25:36 »
I have been keeping an eye on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230103298602&rd=1&rd=1

what'd ya think?

I like the idea of no electronics! i've already had to replace to ECU on the jeep, took 3 failed mots and ages to track it down.

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 20:35:37 »
Ah a PROPER Range Rover - had 2 of those.. and believe me they are a lot beter without all the Drivers 'Aids;... I even had 1 with NO power steering - lol
for that sort of money you COULD get a Discovery - just check for the usual Rot - inner wings - sills - boot floor - Rear door arches..
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 20:48:29 »
Well...unlss your gonna go visit the car i'd be wary of fleabay auctions.

That said... the pics of the underside... assuming it's the same car... look good.

I like the lack of electronics as well... I have a 3.5 carb'd disco.

That's the other thing you could look at... Disco prices are on the floor at the moment...!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 23:07:41 »
Prices aren't going to come back up either, the anti 4x4 movement has taken it's toll.  Perhaps that's a good thing, once mummie's taxi is a people carrier that does less tot he gallon than a Disco they'l pick on someone else rather than us.

Anyway, much as I love older Rangies has anyone noticed how scarce S/H parts have become recently?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 15:10:10 »
There is plenty of parts around, its just where to look :D there is a fella who breaks range rovers in west sussex and he also sends via courier if you organise it yourself.

You will find him in the back of LRM in the classifieds section with a yellow advert.  He is also selling LPG kits at the moment at a very attractive price!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 17:07:55 »
Yes I keep an eye on the RRC spares scene, thinng is it's moving well into the 1990s models and the demand for older parts has fallen dramatically.

skip

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 19:43:21 »
Parts prices of jeeps are crazy, The cheapest a wheel bearing can be had for is £150 and Dizzy caps £30, these arent main dealer prices either. My mate used to bring stuff back from the states when he went on holiday but with the new restictions it's just not possible.

Offline bigrapids_offroad

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 18:02:55 »
you are gonna be stuggling to get a tidy example for that money. i looked at about 15 before i settled on my scruffy lpg'd 1985 rangie.... but she did have new inner wings, sills, floors and pillars ive since spent £500 on top of the £1000 i paid for her and ive still to do the tailgates and bonnet but it did come with a rebuilt engine but the carbs were worn so the extra money has been spent on new carb and inlet, sprintgas lpg mixer and new omlv r90e vapouriser to make the most out of the engine.

personally i think your budget is unrealistic but hey you never know
1985 RRC undergoing improvement
alfa romeo GTV daily drive

Offline bigrapids_offroad

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 18:07:01 »
just to add, ive been watching tht rangie on ebay with interest. id love a 2 door to rebuild but i recon the reserve will be about 5-600 quid and that is without an MOT
1985 RRC undergoing improvement
alfa romeo GTV daily drive

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 14:07:44 »
About a gran would secure a fairly solid nothing special Range Rover V8 with som elife left in it, but at this price I wouldn't hold my hopes out for a good LPG system to be in there too.

skip

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 17:15:49 »
I'd fit my own LPG sytem if I need to, I've already done a 03 renault laguna with OMVL dream xx1, Not that big a deal, takes about 2days on the driveway.

I reckon a mixer system would take a day to 1 1/2 days, i've got half the kit needed already.

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 17:58:38 »
i've got a rangie for sale (with LPG) have a look in the F/S section
James

...lovin dirty days out...

1983 OneTen V8 Station Wagon 3.5 (LPG)
1972 Range Rover V8
1992 Range Rover 4.6 (LPG)
1978 Range Rover Carmichael Commando 6x4
1972 Range Rover - Major project, FOR SALE
1976 Range Rover - Less of a project, FOR SALE
Previously: Range Rovers 1988, 1990 and others...
2005 Volvo V70 T5 SE (LPG) - daily driver

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 01:55:38 »
Quote from: "skip"
I'd fit my own LPG sytem if I need to, I've already done a 03 renault laguna with OMVL dream xx1, Not that big a deal, takes about 2days on the driveway.

I reckon a mixer system would take a day to 1 1/2 days, i've got half the kit needed already.

Dream XXI is what was on RRR, good system and pretty frugal too.

skip

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 17:38:22 »
jjsaul I found your add and I was interested until my misssus rang and said she's had a minor accident in her car on the way home :roll: , I asked what had happened and she said the bit that the back wheels are attached to, it's on the recovery truck behind the car :shock:  sounds like she's been luvin curbs again :roll:  

Sorry bud i'm not going to be buying or selling anything for a while now, except maybe a cheap runaround for the missus unitll the insurance claim is settled

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal