AuthorTopic: 2 or 3 ?  (Read 645 times)

Offline SnakeLogic

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2 or 3 ?
« on: March 05, 2007, 14:16:52 »
Is there any real difference between a 2" and a 3" lift?  

Well, let be qualify that.  Though I don't teach mathematics, I understand that a 3" lift will give an extra inch of lift.  I'm more interested in required upgrades, handling, etc.  2" seems to be the most popular by far, and I'm wondering why.

AbyssDJ

2 or 3 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 14:27:36 »
yep - 1" ;)

a 2" lift is about as far as you can realistically go without tipping over on corners at anything more than 10mph, and also a 2" lift is roughly at the limits of the prop UJ's etc, so you'll need to change alsorts...

put basically:

2" = the norm, and adequate for pretty much everything. might have problems, might not

3" = the hardcore norm. most likely run into a lot of problems for the sake of an extra inch.......... just fit bigger tyres instead

Offline redhand

Attack Member
2 or 3 ?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 14:37:50 »
Quote from: "abyssdj"
yep - 1" ;)

a 2" lift is about as far as you can realistically go without tipping over on corners at anything more than 10mph, and also a 2" lift is roughly at the limits of the prop UJ's etc, so you'll need to change alsorts...

put basically:

2" = the norm, and adequate for pretty much everything. might have problems, might not

3" = the hardcore norm. most likely run into a lot of problems for the sake of an extra inch.......... just fit bigger tyres instead

And don't forget you could fit a 10" lift and it won't give you any extra ground clearance than a standard discovery already has. The only reason for a lift kit is to allow you to fit bigger wheels and tyres. The diffs are the lowest point on the vehicle snd they're underneath the suspension mountings. Lifting the body doesn't alter the height of the diffs. Ok it will give you a better approach/departure angle but that's all it'll do.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

AbyssDJ

2 or 3 ?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 14:46:03 »
Quote from: "redhand"
And don't forget you could fit a 10" lift and it won't give you any extra ground clearance than a standard discovery already has. The only reason for a lift kit is to allow you to fit bigger wheels and tyres. The diffs are the lowest point on the vehicle snd they're underneath the suspension mountings. Lifting the body doesn't alter the height of the diffs. Ok it will give you a better approach/departure angle but that's all it'll do.

all true, except that the third reason for a lift is to increase articulation if you do a proper job :)

Offline redhand

Attack Member
2 or 3 ?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 15:19:06 »
Quote from: "abyssdj"
Quote from: "redhand"

all true, except that the third reason for a lift is to increase articulation if you do a proper job :)

Agreed :lol:  Wasn't knocking lifts going to fit a 2" lift to mine when I've sorted all the welding, drivetrain knocking problems etc. It's just that I find that a lot of people think a lift will give them lots of extra ground clearance whereas if your offroading consists of greenlaning and RTVs stiffer springs and slightly larger wheels will probably be more than adequate.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline chris.hunt22

Attack Member
2 or 3 ?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 15:29:15 »
Much the same as above, just fitted a 2" lift to mine, didn't go with any bigger as I trust the experience and judgment of people on here and the general concensus was if you go bigger than 2" you are opening up a whole big can of trouble, Have a look at my post (in here somewhere) for before and after pics of my 2" lift, with the tyres I have gained 4 1/2" from what it was, original springs sag over the years so you probably loose an inch in 10 years than when it left the showroom.
'If in doubt, give it a clout!'

1996 Discovery Tdi XS Bright Red
Loads of mods - NOW GONE :-(

2000 Discovery Td5 ES Manual - soon to be chipped!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
2 or 3 ?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 18:45:32 »
Any lift will increase approach and departure angles, breakover angles etc.

A lift plus big tyres will get clearence under the diffs, so it depends on how you tackle obsticles.

Anyway, every inch of lift adds about 1 1/2 degree to the front propshaft UJ and reduces castor by the same amount.

Castor correction makes the top UJ even worse whilst straightening out the bottom UJ (assuming 3 degrees of correction).

But as already said, above 2 degrees you start having to think about a new front prop (cardan or wide angle), you really must fit castor correction (though this can be done with modified swivels), brake lines etc etc, none of which comes cheap.

And it will handle a lot worse.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal