AuthorTopic: Series I Workshop manual!!!!!!  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Tinks

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Series I Workshop manual!!!!!!
« on: February 26, 2007, 19:46:46 »
Hello.

Whilst at work today i came across a series I original workshop manual, it has leather cover, it was published in 1951. It doesnt have a spine like normal books, its all held together with metal hinges.  Its stamped as being Rover Co. Ltd, Solihull.

I was wondering if anyone thins that it would be worth any money as i have never seen one ike it and dont seem to have been able to find one on the net any where!

Cheers Tinks
THE BRIGHTER THE BETTER!

Offline Leslie Henson

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 04:37:09 »
If it was published that early it would only cover 80/107 inch S1's. Might be worth a few quid to the right person. Any chance of a picture of it?
I wouldn't attempt to sell it until you have done a bit more investigating - maybe best to contact the S1 Club, or the Register - they would be the best people to advise you on this.

The Register:-

http://www.landrover-register1948-53.org.uk/

S1 Club:-

http://www.lrsoc.demon.co.uk/

Les.

Offline Tinks

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:07:44 »
O cheers mate thats ideal i'll try giving them a call.
I'll make sure i take some pictures of it 2moro at work and i'll post them in the next coupler days.  Its a bit grubby tho its definatly been used and the writing on the front is a bit faded.  :)
THE BRIGHTER THE BETTER!

Offline S188

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 16:33:15 »
Quote from: "Leslie Henson"
If it was published that early it would only cover 80/107 inch S1's.

No the early versions will only cover 80" models!

If this is a proper early one which it sounds like it will actully only cover the 1.6 litre versions.  Remember these books were made for dealers/mecanics to service/repair landys, not home mecanics to work on old models. Thats why they are so good but expect you to have all the specal tools avalable.

It will be worth money to someone but finding that persion is another matter.  eBay could be a good place, maybe kep an eye on there to see if something simular come up and for how much.

The easy way to spot a non prerod series 1 workshop/instruction/parts book is wether it has 'Series 1' written on it.  The originals didn't as there was no series 2 to confuse it with.  The final aditions were first published in about 1960 and carry the series 1 name.  Age will depend on how they are bound as I have a copy that must be from the 60's and a moddern copy which are both the same, plus a proper 1957 model workshop manual, the latter doesn't refer to series 1's or feature info on the diesel version.  Its probubly woth something as its in good nick.  The 60's version would also be worth more than a modern one I'd have thought but mine is in very poor condition (damp damage, bindings failing and alot of oily prints) and hence is probubly only worth anything to me as I have the vehicle it was used with and the greasy fingerprints and written notes document its maintinace years ago.
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline Mike1975

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 16:46:05 »
Well a reprint is £26.05 :D

Offline Mike1975

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 16:49:18 »
I'm not sure if you're allowed to link ebay but this one went for £132 and it's later than yours.

ebay sale

Offline Tinks

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 19:43:47 »
Cheers s188 your a guru of info.  I reckon its a proper proper one cos it makes no mention of the truck being a series I at all.

Thanks for that Mike, now we know its gotta be worth at least 25 quid! :D
My ones not in quite as good nik as the one you set the link for on ebay, it looks alot more retro as well jus like S188 was saying it really looks like it was made for the mechanics fixing them not as a DIY for the owner. :roll:
THE BRIGHTER THE BETTER!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal