AuthorTopic: new boy ,electrical fault on my vitara  (Read 587 times)

Offline jamesey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • land rover recovery service.
  • Referrals: 0
new boy ,electrical fault on my vitara
« on: February 24, 2007, 19:48:44 »
hi just wondered if anyone knows where the dim dip relay is on a vitara 1993 model .
when i start the car and put the sidelights on the dim dip comes on and filckers on and off contiuesly , when i turn to position 2 on the stalk it all works as normal and the main beam is fine , as the car is due a test i thought id take the dim dip relay out and either change it or leave it out
ive looked everywhere for it and had no success
please help before test time

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 14:35:36 »
Ello matey

Had this on mine, went away and was followed days later by the multifunction switch smoking when I used the indicators and eventually catching fire.

Hunt the relay down, if its anywhere it'll be up by the fusebox, under the dash on the drivers side someplace. There is one or two by the washer bottle but I'm sure its under the dash.

If not then pull the multi switch out and CAREFULLY (no, really I mean this!) pull it to bits, most of it is spring loaded so do it in a box. once its apart you'll see the contacts. If its anything like mine, they will be charred and marked. You may be able to clean them up but mine had actually burned the board requireing a new set. I got a set from a scrappy, stripped them, cleaned all the contact faces and used some white lithium grease to reassemble it.

The Zook is unusual as its the negative feed toi the lights thats switched, this means any wiring shorts will cause the accessory on the end to come on rather than blow a fuse. hence people complaining of lights that wont turn off etc.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline jalopy joe

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 16:16:03 »
Yeah, really weird wiring until you get your head around it, I was pulling my hair out (not something I can afford to do) trying to wire a couple of spots to work with main beam.
Suzuki Vitara - "Joes Jalopy"
New offroad project following the Niva and the Fourtrak.
Joe Richards

A "Saint" -  if it wasn't for Napoleon nobody would have heard of us.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 17:17:30 »
Its also worth noting that electrical based wiper problems, indicator issues and warning light woes all normally come from this same damn switch  :twisted:
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal