AuthorTopic: Winching with a Jackall  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Big G

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winching with a Jackall
« on: February 22, 2007, 20:25:00 »
Now.....

Have had my Defender for a year and a half and its my allround transport but I do like to do the odd trail etc. I was out the other day and and cos of all the rain the trail I was on turned into mud up to the axles.....it was so narrow that I couldn`t turn round and didn`t want to reverse all the way back for about Two miles. The old girl got me out but it started me thinking about how I would get myself out. I could call a mate who is a nearby Farmer but why should he get the bother when its my fault if I balls up!

I carry a Jackall for wheel changing etc. but have begun to think about getting sorted out for using it for a short pull recovery. My questions are....

Is this practical?
What kit and mods if any would I need to the Jackall?
What is the best procedure to use?

My thanks in advance to any body taking the time and trouble to reply with advice......

Big G.

PS sorry to any mod if this is in the wrong place, not sure where best to post it.

Offline Canada Al

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winching with a Jackall
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 22:25:40 »
I have tried using a jack all for short pull winching and found that by the time you have taken up the slack and stretch in the lines you get next to no pull . Since then I have got a turfer and a 20 meter cable in one vehicle and a winch fitted to the other .

ChrisW

Winching with a Jackall
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 22:32:06 »
Have a look at this site, it's more of a last ditch, if all else fails sort of thing as it's flippin hard work (and I thought a tirfor was bad enough)!
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.htm

AbyssDJ

Winching with a Jackall
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 22:46:12 »
beat me to it chris, i was about to google that site.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal