AuthorTopic: dodgy indicator stalk  (Read 950 times)

Offline Flimbo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
dodgy indicator stalk
« on: February 20, 2007, 17:08:48 »
i've been working on the series 3 today trying to sort out niggling problems in time for MOT tomorrow.

having replaced the indicator stalk with a brand new part from land rover only two years ago, i expected that to be the least of my worries. BUT...

its let me down once again. its got about 1mm play in the arm which interferes with the dipped beam and wont let them stay on. dipped beam, however, is fine.

i thought i'd cleverly solved this by wedging the end of a tie wrap in the gap to support it. this did fix it, and allowed correct operation of ALL the lights.

but then for no apparant reason, when dipped beam are on, the passenger side indicators come on and stay on (i.e do not flash). this happens without moving the stalk to make them come on.

has anybody else had problems with the indicator stalks being this rubbish? or has anybody had this problem and found a solution?

i'm going to have a look on the net now to see if i can get one cheaper than my local land rover garage - the last one was about £35. does anybody know where i might get one cheaper?

sorry for the long post, its just i wanted to explain everything fully!

cheers, matt

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
dodgy indicator stalk
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 17:20:59 »
Sounds just like how mine operates at the moment. Try this one from ebay :D http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320076769972&rd=1&rd=1

Darren

Offline Flimbo

Attack Member
dodgy indicator stalk
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 17:24:15 »
cheers buddy. i'll see how the MOT goes tomorrow and then i'll look at ordering that.

is yours the same as i described mine then? have you done anything about it yet?

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
dodgy indicator stalk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 17:31:54 »
Quote from: "Flimbo"
cheers buddy. i'll see how the MOT goes tomorrow and then i'll look at ordering that.

is yours the same as i described mine then? have you done anything about it yet?

Mine operates exactly as you describe plus if i turn the indicator to left it turns my spots on :lol: Thing is the wiring was done by the previous cow boy and seeing as i only use the Landy for clearing crap from the garden and for off roading at weekends its one of those jobs i'v not got round to fixing. Saying that, i think i'l order one of those switches now while its fresh in mind :wink:

Darren

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
dodgy indicator stalk
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 17:42:39 »
Yes they are bad, and the contacts are prone for wear very quickly, sometimes you can re-solder the wires where they work loose on the solder, but normally its a disposable part, I've got about half a dozen in a box, all faulty
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Tractorboy16

Attack Member
dodgy indicator stalk
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 19:46:45 »
hi,

i had mine always going, got three 4 in 3 years in the end, thats with the britapart ones,

was rather anoying, had an electrition look at it and he couldn't figure it out at all. power was all correct.

just cheap conectors we put it down to in the end.

me xxx
James Groom 21
88" 2.8TD Hybrid
Td4 freelander

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal