AuthorTopic: Classic EFI  (Read 3834 times)

Offline AS90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Classic EFI
« on: February 19, 2007, 16:59:01 »
Hi, Im picking this up tomorrow morning... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150092583101&rd=1&rd=1 ... is there anything I should know about this model, can you tell me anything about the spec. Are there any problem areas I should look out for before I hand over the cash? This will be my first RR and I cant wait to get my hands on it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
'For Ricky to get any smarter he would have to die and come back as a turnip' - Trailer park boys

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
Classic EFI
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 17:49:08 »
looks tidy
problems
Inner wings rust
inner sills rust
top tailgate rust.
Electrics can be dodgy
headliningn usually sags
Likes petrol garages ;)
Plus points
Its a RR
It has a V8
it has LPG
Should have
leccy windows, leccy mirrors, leccy sunroof..lots of wood trim..and a Lovely V8 burble  :D
make sure owner has the cert for the LPG installation, and that the head gaskets are OK.. (take oil filler out and look for Creamy sludge) - also if possible give it a GOOD test drive (15 - 20 miles MINIMUM) to see if anything abnormal crops up when things are up to temperature..also make sure ABS light goes out (if it doesnt it could be a sensor fault OR the system has gone belly up :( )
If its an auto make sure changes are silky smooth..
Looks like a decent RR, change the tailgate and make sure it'll pass another MOT and Enjoy the V8
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Re: Classic EFI
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 18:08:10 »
Quote from: "AS90"
Hi, Im picking this up tomorrow morning...  Are there any problem areas I should look out for before I hand over the cash?

By law you have just signed a contract to buy it  :shock:  :shock:
Why did you not view it before you hit 'but it now'?

Re-listed due to timewasteris normally not a good sign.  As Bezza says check for head gaskets, rust in footwells, inner wings, inner rear arches, chassis, in fact anywhere and any knocks and clonks as for any car this age. Check all electrics work, sunroof not leaking.

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Garth

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 23:24:21 »
200 miles on £20 worth of LPG I very much doubt it (unless he can get cheep LPG). £30 is more like it

As long as sounds OK chassis is reasonable no major clonks everything else can be fixed with lots of TLC and money.
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

Offline AS90

Attack Member
Re: Classic EFI
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 00:19:56 »
Quote from: "hairyasswelder"
Quote from: "AS90"
Hi, Im picking this up tomorrow morning...  Are there any problem areas I should look out for before I hand over the cash?

By law you have just signed a contract to buy it  :shock:  :shock:
Why did you not view it before you hit 'but it now'?

Steve

If there are any major faults he has'nt mentioned or the desciption differs in any way, then the contract is out the window and you have every right to walk away. So if it very obviously has a huge hole in the floor or the power steering is shot etc you can back out before handing over your cash. If you do find something wrong you can use it to knock a fair bit of dosh off, I mean you could walk away and leave neg feedback so it usually works. Im quite confident about the relist because if a buyer go's to pick it up and finds its a complete shed, again they usually leave neg feedback. Its a 300 mile round trip so I hope he has been honest  :)
'For Ricky to get any smarter he would have to die and come back as a turnip' - Trailer park boys

Offline Dr Strangeglove

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:56:09 »
Let us know how you go on - Good luck, I hope it is better than you expect.
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline Matt.t.

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 14:43:33 »
haha i was gonna loook at that one!
Cars beer and women!  in that order!

Offline AS90

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 16:37:47 »
Ive just done a 300 mile round trip to find it was a complete shed! Stay well away! I asked him on the phone before hand if it was all ok and he said it was great, when I got there it would not start, then it would not idle - it would just cut out, then I found the engine had very little power and it wouldn't change out of first gear, the interior was tatty and dirty, you had to use a tent peg to open the tailgate, the headlining was sagging, the body was corroded, as were the sills and inner arches, fumes in the cabin was the last straw. I threatened to report him to ebay if he relisted it with the same description so he has changed it now, but too late for me I spent £40 on petrol and a whole day getting there and back. Ive got £1000 waiting for a decent LPG RR if anybody has got one. Sorry about the rant :)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Classic EFI
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 16:49:25 »
Rant away mate, many of us have been in that situation.  Buyimg a car is a PITA sometimes.

Good news is prices are on their a**e at the moment, anyone see Top Gear on Dunday, 4x4 are no longer cool (yeah, right) might stop yummie mummies buying them I suppose but the prices are way down on last year.

I might have one for sale soon but it needs some work for the MOT (sills and ABS) but there are 1 or 2 already for sale within the club and you might not get your fingers burned buying from someone we all know.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline AS90

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 19:27:31 »
They have filed a square trade complaint asking me to withdraw the negative feedback I left  :lol: It went something along the lines of 'There is nothing wrong with the gear box and nothing wrong with the engine'. Here's my reply...

If there is no fault on the gear box why did it not change gear? And why has it now been relisted with the following added "THERE IS A FAULT ON THE GEARBOX WHICH REQUIRES SLIGHT ATTENTION". The following has also been added "ENGINE NEEDS A TUNE UP TO ENABLE IT TO RUN PROPERLY" These two statements clearly show that you knew about these faults, but decided not to own up to them even when I telephoned to explain how far I was travelling and to make sure the car had no mechanical faults. Had you been honest in the first place I would not have bought the vehicle, I am also not too surprised to find your account has previously been suspended for shill bidding (bidding on your own auctions to inflate the prices). This was a message from a potential buyer of the car today who asked me what it was like and then did a bit of reasearch himself... "These nobbers selling the rangie have been selling loads of items in the past and nearly on every transaction there was an e-bay name of ajones6998 to bump the price up, and if it was sold to this (fictional) ajones6998 the item was relisted within minutes!!". I pride myself on being an honest ebayer, its a shame you dont too!

And the best thing is they left me feedback saying 'Don't purchase before seeing if your not goning to buy, any faults WERE listed' but they left it as a positive by accident  :lol:

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 20:50:32 »
Got that T-Shirt.

Purchased a Gas flowed uprated cam engine described as running sweet, £375 picked it up from the garage that removed it, paid £450 for fitting (long story) and the engine blew more fog than they saw at Heathrow a few weeks ago and had a nice piston slap.

That's Ebay for you, although you only hear about the bad experience people have.

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Classic EFI
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 21:16:35 »
I had a closer look and would not touch it with a stick, I would value mine around that price and it has proper windows all round and a few extras.
As RRB says, prices are low, take a good look round and forget e-bay. That kind of money should get you a good runnner

Steve

Offline AS90

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 23:47:47 »
Now he is trying to say I was using the accelarator wrong! :lol: 'You cant put your foot to the floor in an auto' I dont know what makes him think I did or didn't anyway, I took it out for a run on my own. He is making out that someone got hold of his account details and that is why all his items were being bid up, dont know how that would work  :lol: He has also brought up the fact I got a couple of neg feedbacks for small items 5 years ago!!LOL. Here's the next installment...

'Erm... I know how to drive an automatic, my Alfa is an automatic and my pajero was an automatic, what are you trying to say? Is it that I was getting the kick down confused with it sticking in first gear or is it because I was putting my foot on the brake to start it? I think you will find all modern autos start in this way as its a lot safer.(my alfa and pajero do) As for the rules of ebay I think you will find if the item differs from the description or it is faulty and not fit for purpose then that contract is void. Oh and those neg feedbacks I have were 5 years ago and were not all my fault, they were all followed up and dealt with, some people just dont have the competence to cash a cheque and some dont have the patience to wait for one to arrive, now give this up, you will not win this because you are a proven liar and a cheat ( are you saying someone infiltrated your other account and used it to bid on your items LOL! or are you saying someone infiltrated your account and listed stuff then used their own account to bid on the stuff! LOL It doesn't add up does it?!), now grow up! '

Offline barnhill4x4

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 00:38:01 »
Oh Dear, Looks like someone else just left Negative Feedback!  :wink:  :roll:  :wink:

Offline Rambler-Dents

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:42:14 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It would be really unfortunate if someone else did that again, next time he listed the car.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline AS90

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 11:16:07 »
Now you have turned it into a "scouser vendeta" Im not even a scouser  :lol:

"DON'T WASTE EBAYERS TIME, TYPICAL SCOUSER NO BRAINS AND NO CASH FOR PURCHASES" I think he may regret saying stuff like that on a public forum.

Someone has asked him what is wrong with the box and he says it is a problem with the selector stick! It sticks in first gear the lying b*****d!

http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowAllQuestions&requested=dismith35&iid=150094066404&frm=284&redirect=0&ShowASQAlways=1&SSPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI

Offline barnhill4x4

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 20:08:40 »
Hmmmm,
   Do you know how easy it is to obtain an ebay bidders account? He could be very sorry for trying to rip of a fellow mud clubber

Offline Lincs niva

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 20:23:22 »
Ok, I took your advice and arranged a viewing before I did any bidding.
It aint getting one cent of my money!!
The sills have completely rotted away - it wont run on petrol at all - the engine is totally gutless - aftermarket tacho self tappered to the dash as the original one doesn't work - it is honestly a complete shed of a vehicle. If I was selling it I would be embarassed to offer it as spares or repair.
My advice is to not even go near it unless you want a laugh. Just wish I knew the poor sods that have put a bid on it already.
Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 4x4 Response
www.yorks-lincs4x4response.org

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Classic EFI
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 21:24:24 »
Quote from: "barnhill4x4"
Hmmmm,
   Do you know how easy it is to obtain an ebay bidders account? He could be very sorry for trying to rip of a fellow mud clubber

Do you know something you not telling?? :?  :?

Offline Rambler-Dents

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 21:29:54 »
Several people seem to know exactly where he lives.  No need to go to the trouble of hijacking an eBay account.

Offline Difflock

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 21:42:58 »
Did some one mention a fight  :?:  :?:

Since when have people from the wirral not been scousers,ere probably since they got the CH post codes back,  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :wink:

only joking,KALM DOWN KALM DOWN  :D  :D  :D  :D
Les Tappenden

93 Range Rover 2.5 V+M, +2",235/85/16 Marshal MT's and loads of welding needed to be done(weekend Toy)

Mk2 Nissan Navara (everyday transport)

TRX 850 Yamaha/70's RD250 (Sunny day Toy's)

You'll never get up there in that !!!!!

Offline barnhill4x4

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 23:02:15 »
Quote from: "Rambler-Dents"
Several people seem to know exactly where he lives.  No need to go to the trouble of hijacking an eBay account.

Not on about Hijacking. If you have your own domain name you can sign up for a bidder account without the need for a card. Or at least you could, I have a few

Offline Rambler-Dents

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 23:14:33 »
Ahh I see. When you said about obtaining an account I thought you meant one that someone already held :lol:.

Offline AS90

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 00:31:01 »
Quote from: "Difflock"
Did some one mention a fight  :?:  :?:

Since when have people from the wirral not been scousers,ere probably since they got the CH post codes back,  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :wink:

only joking,KALM DOWN KALM DOWN  :D  :D  :D  :D

Most people from Liverpool are not scousers, you have to be from a very specific part of the Liverpool area to be a scouser. So it's been confirmed that this is a piece of crap, how unfair that I have ended up with neg feedback! This just isn't cricket  :cry:

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Classic EFI
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 12:57:10 »
And E-Blag in their infinite wissdom will not do anything about it, even if it's libelous.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline AS90

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 16:12:58 »
Dont go mad, I bought a Jeep cherry instead  :o

Offline Difflock

Attack Member
Classic EFI
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 16:32:53 »
AS 90,I was only having a Bit of a laugh with you my fellow Liverpudlian,sorry to hear about the Neg feedback but I do believe you can dispute this with E-bay and get it removed/over ruled,give it a go
Les Tappenden

93 Range Rover 2.5 V+M, +2",235/85/16 Marshal MT's and loads of welding needed to be done(weekend Toy)

Mk2 Nissan Navara (everyday transport)

TRX 850 Yamaha/70's RD250 (Sunny day Toy's)

You'll never get up there in that !!!!!

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Classic EFI
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 17:49:42 »
Well it is now £400  :shock:  :shock:
Will have to see if he gets another 'timewaster' and more neg feedback :roll:
Surely you would take a hint if people told you it was a bag of poo.

Steve

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Classic EFI
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2007, 11:35:40 »
If the doors are as good as they look than it's worth £400 inpeices, albeit expensive peices.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal