AuthorTopic: Some issues  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Some issues
« on: February 18, 2007, 21:15:41 »
Right, me 3.9 v8 auto is struggling to change up the gears just keeps going up the revs then changes unexpectedly at about 3500rpm (on slow acceleration) and also when i take me foot off the accelerator she isnt decelerating, which obviously she should do!

Any ideas?

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline skucera

Attack Member
Some issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:39:07 »
With automatic transmissions it is always best to eliminate the easiest or cheapest potential causes before panicking and fixing expensive stuff.  First, check your transmission fluid level.  Low fluid level can starve the pump, which means that your shifts become delayed and soft, and the engine can really race while accelerating.  The transmission fluid also acts as a lubricant and coolant, so when it is low your clutch material on the drums wears much more quickly, and heat isn't carried away so wear doubly accelerates.  Of course, if your transmission fluid level is low, you should look for the leak.  That fluid had to go somewhere.

If the transmission fluid is at the proper level when the transmission is fully warm and in Neutral at idle, you may have a clogged transmission filter.  This should be changed every 30,000 miles, and is always the time when you change transmission fluid too.

Once you get past these two simple, cheap steps and your problem hasn't been solved, you're ready to dive into more serious diagnosis, or you're ready to take your car to a transmission shop.  This link has some useful troubleshooting steps:  http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/aa072702a_3.htm.  Myself, I like to have a general idea what the problem might be, if only so I have an idea if the solution proposed by a repair shop is the simplest or cheapest that might solve the problem.  I hate that nagging feeling that I'm helping to send a mechanic's kids through college....

Good luck.

Scott

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Some issues
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 16:42:15 »
Well the box was rather empty  :oops:

Nice and full now (a little over full but that will be dealt with in time!)

Changes gear as and when it should.  Going to check for a leak when its dry so i can get underneath and see whats what :D

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Some issues
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 20:20:19 »
OK, when cold its still giving me the problem of not changing gear, but it seems ok when its warmed up quite a bit :-s

Offline skucera

Attack Member
Some issues
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 20:39:14 »
That might be a symptom of a clogged filter.  The transmission fluid gets through more easily when it is warm and thin than when it is cold and thick.  I don't know how long you've had your Rover, but if you haven't had it very long, and if you haven't changed the transmission fluid and filter yourself since you got it, you can't be sure that the previous owner changed it either.  It might be worth a change.

Scott

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Some issues
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 22:00:22 »
OK, is it an easy job to do? cos its slightly fixed, before i topped it up it was still having bother when warm!

Offline skucera

Attack Member
Some issues
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 00:00:15 »
Easy?  On most cars it is, but on the Range Rover you have to pry the frame rails apart to get a cross-member out of the way before you can drop the transmission's pan.  So, no, it is a real pain by any reckoning.

If the "mostly fixed" is good enough for you, then of course you don't have to fix anything.  It's your car, not mine.  Me, having heard what a pain it is to pry that cross-member out, then to put it back in again, I'll probably pay a shop in town to change my tranny filter.  That's saying something because I haven't taken any of my cars into any shop in seven years.

Scott

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Some issues
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 16:38:17 »
Also try dropping the oil in a week or so and replacing it again, a large quantity is trapped in the torque converter and doesn't come out, so your box is not full of new oil, ever.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Some issues
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 16:42:30 »
OK, bought 8 litres and only used 4 to fill it up, so therefore another 4 should be fine lol

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Some issues
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 16:51:22 »
Yeap, I found that too.  At least 3 liters stay in the T/C sp you have about enough for another change.

You can get the filter kit from Britpart stockist for around £14.  The exhaust and crossmember are a bit of a pain to remove but the worst bit for me was that the new rubber seal was a little too small and wouldn't stay in place whilst I refited the pan.  Also do not over tighten the pan screws :shock:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Some issues
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 16:56:57 »
OK, dont know what i am going to do about the filter, might get a garage to do it, if i have anything left from where i am getting the sills completely replaced lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal