AuthorTopic: Kenlowe fans playing up  (Read 4667 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Kenlowe fans playing up
« on: November 08, 2004, 15:25:48 »
After a bit of serious muddy water at the weekend, my twin Kenlowe fans have decided to stay on permanently. On the way home the warning light for them was flicking on and off all the time, even though the temperature was nowhere near high enough. Now they come on as soon as I switch the ignition on.

The thermostat is mounted high up near the top hose just under the top of the LH wing. It did get a bit yucky and I assume there is a short in it. So I'm hoping it will sort itself out as it dries out! Hosed the engine bay down today, so it's wet again now  :D , but I'll see what happens later.

I have a manual switch to isolate the fans when wading, so I am leaving them off until it gets hot. The really odd thing is that when I switch them on the engine slows and runs rough. That bit is a little worrying. Any ideas anyone?
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Ben

Attack Member
Kenlowe fans playing up
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 16:02:25 »
The really odd thing is that when I switch them on the engine slows and runs rough

Sounds like they're taking a lot of current, and the alternator's having to work overtime to keep up...

Once the electrical "moving" parts - I assume it's all PCB's - are clean and dry, I would have thought normal service would be resumed.

Mud and water can be quite efficient at shorting PCB's...

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Kenlowe fans playing up
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 16:20:23 »
Thanks for your suggestion. Hope that is the case  :? I may have to cobble up (sorry, carefully fabricate!) a shroud for the thermostat. Or maybe some more liberal spraying of chain grease!

Can't remember who it was who suggested motorcycle chain grease as a water proofer, but it certainly works. The V8 dizzy cap has been sprayed with the stuff and it started on the button after washing the engine bay. It would never have done that before. Thanks whoever you are  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal