AuthorTopic: Timing  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Timing
« on: February 16, 2007, 21:32:31 »
how do you adjust the timing accurately with no strobe light thingy and no access to a garage? trying this tomorrow now you see :D

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 21:53:35 »
On a 2.25 Litre Petrol, position the engine to top dead centre by manually cranking it round slowly.  Then adjust the distributor accordingly in getting the points correctly set up.  It shouldn't be far out then, and just advance or retard it slightly by the adjuster on the dizzy.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Timing
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 21:56:32 »
Hi. what engine is it, late or early?
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 22:51:10 »
we think its possibly the 5 bearing, basically i have got the point of doing the engine timing, but i have had a suggestion made to me about something to do with a 12v bulb, but the person couldnt remember quite how the wiring for that went, he said basically you move the dizzy round until the light comes on then move it back ever so slightly??

does that sound about right?

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Timing
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 23:31:43 »
ok then so were looking at a 8:1 compression with a later dizzy.

It might be easier to turn the engine over without the spark plugs in.

On the front crank pully there will be a Little dimple cut into the top edge of the engine side of the V of the bottom pulley. marking TDC. Next to the pulley will be a marker with three little pointers. looking at the engine you will want the LH side marker. This is TDC for the timing.

Mark the setting of the dizzy on the block so when you twist it you can revers the procedure if it goes pear shaped.

Take the cap off and the rotorarm and in the case of the duceiller dizzy the little round plastic guard bit.

Next to set the points gap the 25 thou using a feeler guage.

Now you can losen the clamp on the distributor and turning it in a anticlockwise rotation this is to get the points heel off  the distributor central cam because you are now going to slowly move it forward again to get the points to just start to open as the heel of the points climbs the cam. Then you lock the distributor down as your timing should be about right.

If the timing is a little advanced it will not be a problem. If you can hear the engine pinkng on accelration then you'll need to retard the timing a wee bit by turning the Dizzy clockwise a bit.

HTH
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Nick Bradshaw

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 13:45:02 »
If you want to use the lamp, set the timing close as you can by the timing mark. With mine (engine no 941 first three letters, 6-cylinder petrol) it has to be 2 degrees atdc (After top dead centre) and this is either marked on the pulley wheel or the indicator; others are 2 degrees before TDC. Let me know your engine size and number and I'll be pleased to tell you what your setting is. Then, attach the lamp, with one wire running to the LT terminal on the distributor (or clamp it to the spring of the points) and the other to the base of the distributor or other earth. Make sure the points gap is set first.
Rotate the distributor in the direction of the arrow on the rotor arm. Looking down from the front, that should be anti-clockwise. Do this until the light just comes on. Back it off, gently, until the light goes out. Now, very slowly, turn it anti clockwise  until it comes on again, and stop turning; lock the distributor using the screw at the base of the stem.

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
Timing
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 16:15:24 »
Hi
If its only slightly out then get the engine warm, and slowly turn the fine adjustment screw on the dizzy until the engine coughs and back off abit. Then drive hell for leather up a slope and listern to engine if it pinks then screw the adjuter the other way abit at a time and go back to the slope.
All F1 cars are timed by ear like this as well!!!
BUT before all that check plugs cables etc, and also the dizzy had for signs of wear on the contacts. Also condition of spark plugs will have tell tale signs eg blackened or white which will tell you which way to adjust - white to hot and black not enough ignition, also which fuel are you using? unleaded or super? Super will hide timing problems BUT not correct them.
Cheers
Robbo
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal