AuthorTopic: Rumbling Noise From Rear  (Read 1258 times)

Offline nicholashay

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rumbling Noise From Rear
« on: February 09, 2007, 10:03:19 »
A couple of weeks ago I noticed a knocking/rumbling from what seems to be the diff, it is right at the back. I looked at the Viscous and it seems ok. I noticed the front diff mount was failing, so I replaced all three. Seemed to fix it. However a day or two later it started to come back, now it is a week later, it is not anywhere as bad as it was prior to replacing the mounts, but still doing it when I am turning into parking spaces or into a driveway at low speed. It seems like a bearing perhaps, but I am not sure. Before the mounts were replaced it was doing it whenever I turned at any speed or when going straight at faster speeds and taking foot of pedal, only to stop when foot put back on the pedal, but again not since mounts replaced. Seems like something has worn and is knocking about, but now that the diff is held more firmly in place with new mounts, it isn't as bad as before...yet that is, give it a few weeks and it could be!
Any ideas???[/b]

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
Rumbling Noise From Rear
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 14:01:09 »
Check the condition of the VCU support bearings.
Not too difficult to change and about £25 each.
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
Rumbling Noise From Rear
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 15:29:39 »
Daft I know but I have similar knocking/rumbling noise which only becomes apparent when turning slowly or car is on a sideslope...Thought of all the nasties invoplved with FL drivetrain and after extensive trial and error found it to be exhaust rummbling against bodywork...Mine has modified exhaust and due to all the horror stories didnt check the basics first....Now before I try and diagnose anything on FL go through the things you would check on the avarage car....each time come up with the answer before getting into drivetrain problems...normally somthing simple
FREELANDER V6 LPG...GO GAS

http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk/

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
Rumbling Noise From Rear
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 21:02:19 »
Hi Nicholas

Had exactly the same noise and got louder when passengers were in the rear seats. Front diff mounting was completely shot  :shock:  changed it and all seems ok now.

When you did all three, did you do them one by one or all together? Manual reckons you should use a jig to set diff in the correct position, but I'm not sure how far to look into that theory  :?
Lee from Brum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal