AuthorTopic: Would not start whats wrong with my disco :(  (Read 1880 times)

Offline tomkbucks

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Would not start whats wrong with my disco :(
« on: February 07, 2007, 13:02:30 »
Put a new Battery in yeserday, this morning just would not turn over. it did start once but putting throttle down did nothing , just died, got it started in the end after connecting a set of jump leads and trying every ten mins, but throttle still not happy, takes ages to pick up - take it this is why it did not start, ive got a new fuel filter to go on and put some treatment in - just in case but any other ideas ? 300 Tdi 98

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 13:35:16 »
If it was fuel then it would turn over still, my guess is the battery you have put on. It has been very cold so this could of zapped the battery power. Can you see how much jungle juice is the the battery, do a simple bulb test with it or if you have something more substansial i.e. battery tester then use that. Sounds to me like a duff battery :?:

Does everything else work ok :?:

Stupid question but have you pressed the unlock button on the fob several times as you said that you put a new battery on it, might be a immobiliser problem.

Go battery first, got a mate who can try his battery on yours :?:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 13:55:58 »
nope battery works fine , put a multimeter on it this morning - yes in the end it was drained after a few attempts starting - it was just refusing to hold the engine once it was started, all power died off... even when it started you plant your foot on throttle and it only very slowley starts to pick up...

Offline philcooper

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 14:01:12 »
My battery gone duff the last couple of days, did a test on it and it was fine and tested the alternator which was fine too. Must be the cold weather.

Bring on the snow :lol:

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 15:18:08 »
Quote from: "tomk_bucks"
nope battery works fine , put a multimeter on it this morning - yes in the end it was drained after a few attempts starting - it was just refusing to hold the engine once it was started, all power died off... even when it started you plant your foot on throttle and it only very slowley starts to pick up...

no rubbish in the fuel system, you've checked for obstructions in the fuel filter, air in the system etc then :?:
Do you get your fuel from supermarkets as cheap diesel can sometimes do funky in cold weather and it has been very cold lately  :shock:

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 15:35:22 »
yup checked - got a new fuel filter today just in case - decent fule in her too... just this wierd lack of power when the engine is cold :(

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 15:42:10 »
yup checked - got a new fuel filter today just in case - decent fule in her too... just this wierd lack of power when the engine is cold :(

I may be wrong, but have you checked the fuel pump recently? or the fuel lines in case there is a leak.
J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 15:55:33 »
there is no fuel leak that i know of , how do i check the pump ? it seems to work when its warm, its just this weird loss of power or wanting to start when cold :(

Offline DiscoCWK

Attack Member
Re: Would not start whats wrong with my disco :(
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 16:10:11 »
Put a new Battery in yeserday, this morning just would not turn over. it did start once but putting throttle down did nothing , just died, got it started in the end after connecting a set of jump leads and trying every ten mins, but throttle still not happy, takes ages to pick up - take it this is why it did not start, ive got a new fuel filter to go on and put some treatment in - just in case but any other ideas ? 300 Tdi 98

I left my disco for six weeks and a bad earth caused the battery to drain down to 6 volts - It wasn't until the battery was fully charged that it would operate the central locking properly and disengage the immobiliser. It won't even turnover if the immobiliser isn't turned off. It sounds like the 10 mins on the jump leads allows you to start it, but the fuel isn't getting through. I guess that is a separate problem

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 16:17:46 »
yup i think i managed to drain the new battery by trying to turn it over... will keep everything crossed that after i put on a new fuel filter and put some treatment through it tomoro it starts !!!!

Offline DiscoCWK

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 16:24:04 »
Another thought - If the turbo is failing to spin up and it's smoking badly try disconnecting the EGR and see if that sorts it. My EGR valve stuck and my engine wouldn't rev properly and smoked like a trooper - it's now removed

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 16:48:02 »
gosh dont know what the EGR is ! its annoying there is not a garage close buy that i trust with this kind of thing to have a look at it for me !

Offline tjsj

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 18:01:34 »
Mine, starts badly in the morning on cold weather too. Turns over really slow a couple of times and then starts but sometimes does't want to rev up like yours, i left it on tickover for a couple of minutes and it was fine. Talked to our local garage and they said that it may be the diesel getting slightly thicker due to the cold weather.
Tom
Tom

G-reg Disco 200tdi
3 inch pro-comp suspension lift
nice set of new machos

WANTED: Cheap snorkel, doesn't really matter what it looks like, just as long as I can do some wading!!!

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 19:41:33 »
Mine didn't want to start this morning, although it was about -5 around here..

I usually run with a bit of SVO in the tank (about 10%) but i filled up with dino diesel today to flush it out.. won't be running SVO again until the spring now... :roll:

I might buy a bottle of fuel additive (do use it when i remember) as i think that is supposed to help cold starts..

My old 300tdi defender was the same... except that handbrake shoes used to freeze on aswell... you had to use low box to pull awy in the mornings!!
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 20:50:23 »
Just a thought.

If a diesel engine starts then surely if the battery is flat or full the engine should still keep going?

I was always told that diesel engines dont need battery power to keep running unlike a petrol engine with spark plugs to power.

Just a thought!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline DiscoCWK

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 21:20:44 »
Quote from: "muddyjames"
Just a thought.

If a diesel engine starts then surely if the battery is flat or full the engine should still keep going?

I was always told that diesel engines dont need battery power to keep running unlike a petrol engine with spark plugs to power.

Just a thought!

Most diesel engines have a stop solenoid in the fuel pump, which stops the engine by cutting the fuel supply. The solenoid is usually help open by 12v so disconnecting the battery can inhibit the flow of fuel to the engine from the pump. Funnily enough I've never looked at the set up on the disco!

It's true that a diesel will run without a battery as long as it has fuel, air and compression as it doesn't rely on a spark for combustion to occur.

Offline UNG

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 21:26:05 »
you have changed the fuel filter but have you checked / cleaned out the sedimenter ?

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 21:33:46 »
i wouldnt bother IMO, your wasting your time  :roll:
its damn cold weather and 300s dont like it, i wont even attempt to start my 300 in this weather, i just go to me 200tdi 90 which hasnt even got any glow plugs connected and it starts  :shock:
o 4 other friends all with 300's dont bother with them either so i duno
o before you start saying its this that and other, its only just done 80 thou and had new glowplugs and a full service inc cam belt by me 3 weeks ago  :shock:
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline tomkbucks

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 11:44:39 »
well it started this morning :) last night changed the fuel filter - and put a load of cleaner in it and gave it a good run - still only just started but got to work ( through the snow ! ) in the end... whats the sedimenter ?

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 11:54:01 »
well it started this morning :) last night changed the fuel filter - and put a load of cleaner in it and gave it a good run - still only just started but got to work ( through the snow ! ) in the end... whats the sedimenter ?

Its located before the rear axle under the rear floor to the right hand side. I think its simular to the fuel filter but this cleans bigger rubbish out first, probably wrong but someone will be on here with more knowledge, thats where it is though :lol:

Offline UNG

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 11:54:35 »
The sedimentor is located above the rear axle on the offside chassis rail in front of the fuel tank. It looks similar to a fuel filter, there is an 11mm bolt head on top which releases the bowl. Don't bother with the drain plug on the base as it usually breaks and any debris never drains out anyway

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 17:25:05 »
Mine only just started today. it splutered like a gooden until i reved it over 3k rpm then it was fine.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal