AuthorTopic: Engine Change.  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine Change.
« on: February 02, 2007, 21:34:30 »
Right, well the series 3 is now officially off the road, and its going to undergo an engine conversion, but this is my question, what should we change it to, my idea is to fit a turbo diesel out of a 90 and the gearbox and transfer box to match.

does anyone else have any other ideas?  want to fit something with a little more ooomph than the naturally asthmatic engine and preferably with a 5 speed box, but we do have very limited knowledge of how to do things!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

AbyssDJ

Engine Change.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 21:54:27 »
dont forget that if you change to the transfer etc out of a 90 you will be permanent 4 wheel drive

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Engine Change.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 22:10:36 »
aye yeah i know that, was going to use a military front axle for it, or find a way of doing the fwh so that its permanent 4wd lol

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Engine Change.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 22:29:09 »
Er.. Military front axles on a Series are still the same as the Civilian ones, apart from some had strengthening ribs on the casting.  :wink:

You need CVs ideally in the front swivels for permanent four wheel drive, otherwise it is likely the UJ in the Series swivels will fail.  The Stage 1 front axle would be ideal, but those are extremely rare to find, let alone in decent condition.  You can't mate up the coil sprung CV either to the Series axle.

Ashcroft Transmissions did once do a conversion to allow you to mate up the LT77 to the Series transferbox, but as far as I'm aware they have discontinued that.

So why not get an overdrive?  Far cheaper, and far easier to do.  Oh, and the Series transmission is well and truly up to the performance of the 2.5 TD.  Just make sure you've got a good TD otherwise you'll also have the fun of it going pop.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Engine Change.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 23:38:25 »
The military ones are fixed wheeling hubs arent they, cos they dont have free wheeling hubs on them?

Offline reriessandlover

Attack Member
engine swap
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 09:38:08 »
stick a prima in the yoke and she will be grand ,faster, quieter and better fuel consumption and an easy conversion
series 3
perkins prima powered
parabolics
procomp es3000

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
Engine Change.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:58:23 »
i still think the TD out of a 90 is underpowered, but it is a vast improvement over the 2.25 diesel.
my 200tdi goes really well, but does need something done about the gearing
65mph is reached rather quickly, but the engine runs out of revs.
either an overdrive or higher geared diffs are on my shopping list this year.
i run the standard series gearbox/transferbox/diffs and have had no issues yet with things breaking.
you have to be careful how much right foot you give it or it just wheelspins :D

freewheel hubs werent standard on any landrover, they were either an optional extra (i think) or, like mine, an aftermarket add on.
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Engine Change.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 19:00:19 »
Quote from: "BadgersRover"
The military ones are fixed wheeling hubs arent they, cos they dont have free wheeling hubs on them?

Optional fitment to even civilian vehicles.  Many civilian vehicles lack free wheeling hubs too.

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
Engine Change.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 14:09:19 »
Quote from: "BadgersRover"
aye yeah i know that, was going to use a military front axle for it, or find a way of doing the fwh so that its permanent 4wd lol

nowt wrong with perminant 4X4, i run it. no probs so far. and after all new series UJ's arnt that expensive.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal