AuthorTopic: Alarm and stuff  (Read 977 times)

Offline marcus20VT

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Alarm and stuff
« on: February 02, 2007, 18:34:34 »
Hi - just bought a vit soft top - can anyone reccomend an alarm that you can use even when the roof is down please?
Also would like to do some sort of laning, but I dunno if I want to go the whole hog into the messy meddy stuff (yet!) - whats the best mod to make, is it a lift, or would you advise AT tyres even though it will be mainly road use?

Cheers People!

Offline larry

Attack Member
Alarm and stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 20:50:52 »
Autowatch alarms are the best they work like a swiss watch

i am not a fan of microwave sensors as they pick up swaying overhead branches and running water in drains under the vehicle

autowatch ultra sonic sensors correctly positioned work a treat they are self calibrating so give little trouble
 (i have been fitting this kind of equiptment  for 14 years let me know if i can help more)

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Alarm and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:06:31 »
Ultrasound wont work in a soft top, too much air disturbance etc. Basically its Microwave or get crafty with something else. When Rabbit's refit is done she'll have door sensors, sea sensors and power drop sensing on it. Should stop most things. Might put a microwave sensor in just to 'chirp' when people get too close.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline marcus20VT

Attack Member
Alarm and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:28:30 »
Cheers for the info - I was thinking of getting something that would protect the interior when the roof is off, if thats possible.
But, if some chav wants to nick your stereo, he'll nick your stereo I suppose!

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Alarm and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 10:21:36 »
Quote from: "marcus20VT"
Cheers for the info - I was thinking of getting something that would protect the interior when the roof is off, if thats possible.
But, if some chav wants to nick your stereo, he'll nick your stereo I suppose!

you can counter this a little by fitting it properly. Not sure about the zook as I dont remeber whats back there but most cars have a rea mo9unting bracket and most radios have the bolt. If you install this there is no way in hell that radio is comming out without getting under the dash and messing about. What the average chav wants is quick, easy and no complications.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline larry

Attack Member
Alarm and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 11:50:16 »
Microwave sonsors are not as good as self calibrating ultra sonics which do work with the roof down unless its really windy micro wave sensors are affected to much by humidity which increases the bubble of coverage when the air is dry and decreases the bubble when its damp so when its dry you can get false alarms and when its real damp you get almost no coverage
,my ultra sonic  sensors work on a double knock system to prevent falsing and have been thatcham accredited (the motor industry and insurance quality testing system )if you want prewarning then i do a dual tech sensor which is both ultra and micro combined i have one fitted on my zuk i would not trust my vehicle to just a micro

i have only been supplying and fitting this type of equiptment for 14 years relying on costomer satisfaction for repeat business and im still at it

i also recomend a tilt sensor which both protects the wheels and detects if the vehicle is climbed on or in

remove the front from your radio and take it  with you or get a car safe

i only know what i do and i do what i know serious anti theft systems

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Alarm and stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 12:09:05 »
I think this really is a case of 'your milage may vary' I design these systems on and off from scratch along with accessories sensors and other bits of kit for a Leading UK supplier of fixed security systems. I'm going from experience here on two systems fitted on two identical cars. The Ultrasound system was an utter arse and the Micro has never caused I problem. There are a lot of variables here and soft tops and open tops are a pain in the bum.

BUT I think you hit the nail roght on the head here:
Quote from: "larry"

remove the front from your radio and take it  with you or get a car safe

It takes 10 secodns to get into a sft-top zook without breaking anything. Undo back zip. pop the side window and open door,. I've done it LOADS of times. Take anything you really want to keep out or make it REALLY obvious that its not comming out easilly. This includes CB radios and GPS accessories, I had mine nicked a few months back.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline larry

Attack Member
Alarm and stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:01:56 »
Thats all well and good but if your going to spend your hard earned cash on buying and preping your mud monster you need peace of mind thats its gona still be there in the morning as scrotes are nicking them and using your parts to build there own i have over a £1000 of security dont want to discuss what i have as that would render it useless it came off my last car that i got rid off so i have had value for money

buy good quality stuff get it fitted by someone who loves to do a good job sleep well at night

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal