AuthorTopic: Which is best.....  (Read 586 times)

Offline diesel-smoke

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Which is best.....
« on: January 25, 2007, 21:02:17 »
Okay, looking for a decent alarm for my car, after a scrote decided to help himself to my tools and stereo.

Can not decide what to go for, but I know I want a decent alarm with immobiliser.

Have been looking at Toad AI606 as this is what I had on my Galaxy previously, but also seen similar items from Clifford, cobra, scorpion and laserline.  But I have heard stories about clifford and scorpion that are putting me of a little.

Not bothered about the installation as I will do that myself.

What would you recommend I go for or avoid.

Thanks in advance

Dave
1996 Discovery V8i Auto

marjan

Which is best.....
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 18:46:38 »
I would definately avoid a Clifford as I had loads of problems with the Concept 300 fitted to my old Shogun.

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
Which is best.....
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 18:57:19 »
The likes of Clifford & Cobra are very good, but have too many 'features' that the majority of users err... won't.  Also means there's more to go wrong.

Autowatch make good, reliable units at a reasonable price.

The installation is the key!  I've fitted the same second-hand Clifford to 3 different cars with no problems.  I've also seen the most horrendous 'professional' installs - a Toad-fitted one that was tucked under the carpet, got wet during valeting and immobilised the car.  In sheer temper I (literally) ripped it out.  Car started fine after that....
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
Which is best.....
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 19:38:26 »
devil duck or big dog and a baseball bat
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Which is best.....
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 13:32:37 »
I'm really [!Expletive Deleted!] off with the toad alram on Julie's, after a couple of days there isn't enough battery to start the car, and it's a new battery.  It locks the doors as soon as the engine is started, a major PITA and it also lock the doors 30 seconds afte opening, even if the doors have been opened.  If it wasn't for the insurance then I'd rip it out and stamp on it, it's a peice of cack and won't stop a determined theif for more than about 20 seconds.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Telaren

Attack Member
Which is best.....
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:19:04 »
I fitted a motorcycle alarm and immobilisor to my defender.  Had no problems.  I wanted an alarm that could be used without the need for shutting all windows - Main aim was to immolise motor.  Shock sensor worked fine once adjusted and immolilisor worked fine.  This unit came with several other features - Remote start / Kill button, panic alarm, light flash and the alarm and immobilisor where activated separetly.

Wired alarm into roof lights and amber light bar.  Looked great when activated.  :shock:

(Bought off Ebay from N Cook Security) even supplied a wiring diagram specific for the defender.  Try link below.  Even does a talking one :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-2007_W0QQitemZ200073913282QQihZ010QQcategoryZ25643QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps
Discovery 200TDI
Mud Pluggin Monster In The Making
235/70/16 MT Insa Sahara
+2 Springs & Shocks
Sanddown Steering Guard
Front + Rear Diff Guards
Dual Charging Unit
Rock / Tree Sliders
12,000lb Remote Operated Winch.
NORTH LAKES 4X4 CLUB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal