AuthorTopic: Winch Mounting  (Read 5593 times)

Offline drum

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winch Mounting
« on: November 01, 2004, 12:38:01 »
Got a bit of a deal on a new winch for the 110, but I need to mount it.

I want to have it mounted so that I can have it on the front as normal or remove it, and mount it above the tow bar, for winching things onto the trailer.

Anybody any ideas?

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 12:41:14 »
Depends on the type of winch really.

You can get a receiver system which will let you move the winch about, put it on the trailer, etc.   It's a standard Warn product.

For an electric winch you will need to fit power connectors front and rear.  For hydraulic, obviously you will need oil lines and couplers.

Have a word with Liz @ devon4x4.com

She should be able to help you out.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline drum

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 14:06:04 »
It's a T-Max 11000lbs Electric, Power connectors are no problem, I can do wiring and stuff, even do othe odd bit of fabrication if I need to. More looking for ideas at the moment rather than a product off the shelf.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 15:04:46 »
Take a look at this :

http://www.devon4x4.com/products/3/Winches+%3A+Portable/14/XD9000i+Muti-Mount

That's the Warn system.  The reason I said talk to them, is that you might find the cost of making something almost as bad as buying.

Cheers,
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline drum

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 18:23:05 »
Looks as if it could be interesting, the one you mention looks like a complete portable winch solution, not quite what I want but I get the idea.

Bit too late to ring them now but if I get chance I'll ring them tomorrow if I get the time (unikely).

I notice several of these portable devices use a class III removable towing hitch. I've always thought these look abit flimsey for any decent towing, never mind the fixing of something like a winch that can technically exert 5 ton of pull, at some strange angle with the added complication of twisting, and bending actions.

Also mounting on the towing hitch could be an issue, one of the reasons for having a rear mount is to tow cars onto the trailer. So I would want the trailer attached at the same time as the winch. I suppose I could fit a drop plate to put the tow bar one, and then mount the winch attachment above that, but if I'm not careful I'll be back into ploughing terroritry and I've just got out of that by fitting an NAS rear step.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 18:33:12 »
I have a receiver hitch and regularly tow a *big* trailer without any worries.  Plus, they tend to be properly rated... having been developed in the over-litigant USA.

I misread what you originally posted about the trailer.  I was thinking you could put a receiver on a post on the trailer drawbar somewhere or at the end of the bed.  That way you can get a straight pull up the trailer bed even if the tow vehicle isn't in-line with it.

Biggest issue with any sort of portable system is of course the weight involved.... especially if you are using a steel winch cable.   It's a lot of lugging to move 50Kg of winch around  :oops:
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline drum

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 18:41:23 »
My thinking was that by mounting it above the towing hitch, I could use the same position, for both rear recovery, and trailer loading, but I don't suppose there is anything to stop me making 3 mounting point, front rear and one on the trailer itself.

This does ofcourse limit my choice of trailers aswell.

Why do I get the feeling my bargain buy, is about to cost me a fortune  :(

Offline drum

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 18:48:39 »
Ofcourse the simple answer is to buy a decent front winch bumper.

And fit a front tow bar to said bumper. This gives better trailer control, and allows the winch to be used for loading etc.

On the down side, I'll have to fit a jockey wheel to the trailer so that I can hitch and unhitch it without the aid of a fork truck  :oops: Don't ask.

Offline drum

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 09:54:14 »
Winch has arrived, the damn thing is too heavy to lift, so I guess it's going to get permanently fixed to the bumper

Offline Ben

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 12:53:10 »
I assume you've got uprated springs then...

What model is the winch? They're not all that heavy (my Fairey 525 is damned heavy - it's PTO driven!!!)

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline drum

Attack Member
Winch Mounting
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 13:55:22 »
To be honest it only weighs about 50kg, it's a T-Max 11000lbs. But it's just abit much to lug about, especially if you put a decent mount on it aswell.

Still on standard springs at the moment, but one of the thing on the list is a 2" lift (although I'm beginning to have second thoughts now)

I bought it cos it was a damn good deal, although I'm thinking now that it might not be quite what I wanted.

Speaking of which, does anybody know where I could get an extension for the remote so that I can run it into cab, for easier use.

Even

Winch Mounting
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 19:08:17 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
I have a receiver hitch and regularly tow a *big* trailer without any worries.  Plus, they tend to be properly rated... having been developed in the over-litigant USA.

HI
You write here that you have a reviever hith.
Where have you bought this hitch?

I have been looking for a reciever hitch to fit a seriesIII and seriesI...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal