AuthorTopic: Defender 90 Heater system  (Read 1377 times)

Offline zaxxon180

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Defender 90 Heater system
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:15:00 »
Hi just a quick post to see if anyone else is having problems with their heaters.  As the weather has got a bit colder recently i have actually had to turn the heater on for a few minutes.  Problem is that the heater works well but only onto the windscreen.  If I alter the lever position to output to footwell it still booms away on the windscreen.  Not too much of a problem but have done some searching on google and can't find much info on Defender 90 CSW 300 tdi heating systems.  Not sure if it likely to be a matrix issue or a simple blockage.  Thought I would try to post before taking dash apart.

thanks again :(scared):

Offline muck_truck

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 13:15:18 »
This may work.

You know the vents on the bottom of the dash, reach up inside with your fingers and you should feel some foam, if you do pull it out.  If you cant unscrew the vent cover and then have a fish round for the foam and pull it out.

Did this on mine (200Tdi) and it blows a lot better now.

worth a try..
Dan.

Defender 90 200Tdi
www.muckytruckin.co.uk

Offline muck_truck

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 13:17:20 »
double post Doh!
Dan.

Defender 90 200Tdi
www.muckytruckin.co.uk

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 14:57:03 »
Get under the bonnet and check all the cables etc do what they should and are getting there full travel, defenders heaters are ok if set up correctly.
if you you can make it i can break it.

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 17:43:19 »
For what its worth I've had probs with broken/loose cables on 300 and TD5 - don't think the mechanism has changed since 1948.

Clamp under the black plastic cover on RH end of dash/speedo cowl with the 2 levers for heat and split uncovers the cable clamps - have come loose on the heat or splitter in the past?  Had broken cable from there to the heater matrix under the bonnet (connects to a silly turret/lever on the top - dealer fitted it and said it was a complete pain i.e they charged a lot...)  Turned out the lever on the top of the matrix was seized anyway so their work alone made no difference and a couple of gallons of WD40 did the trick.

Yours is the screen/cab split anyway (under the same cover)?  Mine jams one third of the way down - 'flappy thing' under dash/fuse box area can be heard jamming and will make the cable slip in the clamp if you keep pusshing down.  Never got round to fixing it in 6 years - certainly sounds like a 'dash off' job so waiting for that spare weekend..........

Hope yours is just the clamp. A.
3 Defenders on and I'd still buy another.....

Offline Mudmonkey

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 20:31:33 »
I did the same as muck truck and found that mine had a pencil lodged in it stopping the flap thingy inside from lifting up and i kept the vent covers off so it blows onto your legs and not down towards your feet.
Tom ;)8)
Don't Follow The Crowd, Be Different!
Big Blue! The Transformation Continues!

1995 300tdi Blue Defender 90

-------------------------------------------------------
[size=9]http://www.ylrec.co.uk|http://www.korc.co.uk|http://www.4x4prejudice.org[/size]
-------------------------------------------------------

Offline zaxxon180

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:00:23 »
Thanks for all your advice,  I will try and make some time on Sunday and have a look at cables etc before possible dash off and WD40 comes into action. Cheers. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal