AuthorTopic: vaux frontera ?  (Read 7435 times)

Offline blackbob

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
vaux frontera ?
« on: January 22, 2007, 17:30:19 »
step daughter is thinking of getting a frontera swb
apart from the engines being prone to oil starvation and being generaly crap
what else do they suffer from
(not my idea of a good car)sorry frontera owners :(
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline BeJay

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 17:43:39 »
Hi Blackbob,
.....nothing wrong with Frontera's, I used to own one and they're pretty good offroad on a mod for mod par with anything else. The only thing I will say is tell her to go for one with the 2.8 TDi engine in, it's the isuzu engine, much better than any of the vauxhall engines, never had a moments problem with mine and used to get 30 m.p.g. whether I was towing a trailer or not, not sure what it did when I was playing offroad in low box though  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

,,,,,cheers, Jack.

nil illigitimus carborundum

Offline laser_jock99

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 17:52:30 »
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm

VAUXHALL FRONTERA

What's Good

Not bad looking, in a chunky sort of way. Right car at the right time when launched in 1991 to feed 4x4 fashion fad. Initially well-priced as alternative to a Cavalier. Held value well until the public started to wonder why they were driving crude old-fashioned 4x4 trucks instead of proper cars. Reasonably competent off-road. 1998 'round the World' endurance run helped improve public perception of reliability. Range revamped for 1999 with 113 bhp 2.2 direct injected diesel or 204bhp 3.2 litre V6. Sport V6 listed at £19,995 does 114mph, 0-60 in 9.5 seconds but just 15.9mpg in the EC urban cycle. Three year warranty from October 2000. 2.2DTi and 3.2 V6 have maximum towing weight of 2,400kg. Extremely Low 1 out of 9 point death rate from accidents in this model. Vauxhalls generally had below average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 84.4 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

What's Bad

Five door version achieved no more than an average three star 62% rating for crash safety in 2002 NCAP tests with very poor pedestrian protection. Really no more than a dressed-up Isuzu pick up. Legion of quality problems. Short-lived direct injected 2.8 Isuzu diesel withdrawn due to emissions problem. 2.3 and 2.2 petrol engines guzzle petrol. If you want a chunky 4x4 to use as a day to day car the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Santa Fe and Land Rover Freelander are vastly superior. Has been rock bottom in J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Surveys and still second bottom in the 'R' reg survey. S and T platers 4th from bottom in 2001 Top Gear / J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. 2.2 litre direct injected diesels can Some 2.2 litre DI 16v models thought to use a lot of engine oil, but oil from the 16v heads takes a long time to drain down and dipstick can give a falsely low reading. But engine also seems tom have a genuine oil consumption problem. Apparently, the bores were machined with too high a gloss. Running-in oil has been used to attempt a quick fix, has been known to cause other problems. Vauxhall/Opel will not accept liability because it would mean expensive repairs to most 2.0DI and 2.2DI Vauxhall/Opel models. Several pressure groups emerged to try to get Vauxhall/Opel to take responsibility: www.zafirauk.tk and www.peachorlemon.co.uk Repeated alarm system problems reported by readers. In April 2001 a shortage of rear windscreens for the 5-door model with over 400 on back order. Vauxhall dealer advice has been to try and get one from a breakers. Timing belt and tensioner changes re-scheduled from 80,000 miles to 40,000 miles on engiens which have them.Third worst after FIAT/Alfa and MGF for breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. Not recommended. Reports of injector seal failure in 2.2 16v diesels leading to fuel oil leaking into sump oil and also causing poor starting. Ignition control unit of 2.2 petrol engine is prone to burning out. Poor starting and cutting out after starting of 2.2DI 16v caused by airleaks through fuel injector seals.

What to Watch Out For

Is it a townie's car (never gone off road) or is it a farmer's car? Big difference in likelihood of damage to underside and drive train. Has a towing hook been fitted at some time? If so, what has it been towing? (Anything from a one horse horsebox to a mobile catering stand, so look for saggy rear suspension, groaning rear diff., noisy wheel bearings). Look for oil leaks from engine and drive train. Check that it tracks straight. Look for wear in front suspension and steering joints. Listen for big-end rattles, noisy tappets (signs of insufficiently frequent oil changes). Check dipstick for clean oil. Don't park a diesel Frontera facing uphill and leave the vehicle for a few weeks as fuel will drain back out of the line and the system will need to be re-primed.

Recalls

1995: VIN NV500400 to RV628644: faulty bonnet safety catch. 1996 (Sport): fit heat shield between exhaust system and petrol tank (fire risk). Replace catches for removable roof section. Spring 1999: warning issued to all known owners to take vehicles to Vauxhall dealers at 4 years or 40,000 miles for a replacement timing belt and timing belt idler wheel. 1999: all 'new' Fronteras built from June 1998 to September 1999 (6,557 vehicles) officially recalled for a check on steering components. This recall was repeated in 2001 to correct 'steering to the left'. 2001: TSB about voltage spikes from the alternator damaging the camshaft sensor. This is prevented by unpicking the wiring loom and re-routing the cam and crankshaft sensor cables together around the front of the airbox, keeping them away from the alternator.

.....get a Hilux Surf!!!
www.hiluxsurf.co.uk (home Surf forum)
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/laser_jock99/
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/4x4 (more 4x4 photos)
http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=103 (Online Gallery Of My Surf)
Car: 1993 Toyota Hilux Surf
Model: 3.0L TD SSR-X
Mods: 2" Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift 33" MT tyres,
Colour: Brown over blue

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 18:43:32 »
only problem with the SWB is they tend to be more on insurance, SWMBO has a LWB 2.3 and loves it! roomy, reasonably nippy - and not too bad on the old parts front either..
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Drift

vaux frontera ?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 23:23:31 »
Ive had the 20L swb and now have the 2.8 lwb and never had any major problems with either car.
Remember the reviews are made by journalists who read other jounalists reviews then sit in one model for a day :roll:

Check out this site Im a mod on there.
All the Frontera info you will need.
http://fronteraowners.co.uk/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
Ste

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:58:21 »
We have had three, 98 2.0 i sport, 2000 2.2 dti sport, now have a 2.2 dti 5 door Olympus. These were my wife's company cars, but we have now bought the Olympus off the lease co. (very good deal)!

All have been dealer serviced and apart from the odd minor glitch, reliable.

We have done some gentle off roading in them, no problems.

Our main use is for towing our caravan for which they are great.
We now have a Bailey 18' van which the diesel tows perfectly

Last year towing in France (65-70mph) with aircon on it did about 28mpg.

Our  diesel does not use oil rarely needing a top up. You have to check it when hot after waiting 5 minutes.

We tried the Freelander(old model) but preferred the Frontera. More legroom and better driving position plus more reliable ?

We are going to try the new Freelander later.

Ours is one of the last built, Olympus only came in black or silver pearlescent, has aircon, heated seats and half leather trim-its a nice motor.
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD
Kia Sorento XS. (SWMBOs car)
Renault Megane CC(my everyday car)

Offline muddycarl

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 00:41:47 »
Hi
I have a 2.8tdi frontera lwb (the one with the isuzu engine)
it's a very capable truck .....and a very good drive on road too..

i've also had the little 2.0i sport swb .....i drove it from my home in devn to Aston Cantlowe just south of brum had a days playing then another days laning before driving back home ...without missing a single beat

the 2.0's get very hot when in 4wd....and the C20NE engine is the better of the swb's.....for the lwb's get the 2.8tdi or lookout for a 2.8tdi swb
fantastic car and with the right mods ..unstopable :lol:  :lol:
Carl...2.8TDI

Offline ady

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 13:22:27 »
I had a 2.0 sport SWB, moved on to a modded disco, and then back to a Fronty Sport.......nuff said?? :lol:
Administrator www.4x4uk.org
4x4ResponseNE Member

Offline muddycarl

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 15:04:12 »
Hiya Ady
you on here too :D  :D  :D
Carl...2.8TDI

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 15:39:47 »
Hiya Muddycarl and Ady-both of you on here too :lol: .

Offline muddycarl

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 15:50:07 »
mat (fuzion 137) and ste (drifty) are here somewhere too :wink:
Carl...2.8TDI

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
vaux frontera ?
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 17:51:53 »
she got her self another car but not a 4x4 so tks for the info her personal situation changed dramaticaly this week so she changed plans on the 4x4
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal