AuthorTopic: How hard would it be...  (Read 1865 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
How hard would it be...
« on: January 21, 2007, 17:04:29 »
... to build a hybrid with my dicovery, would it simply be a case of buying a series vehicle then swapping the bodies over? Or is it a lot more complcated than that and would probably be better to sell my dico for one. Do they have cheaper insurance as i will need it for when im 17?
Thanks Sam  :?

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 17:19:47 »
Hybrid=SVA=Q plate=Insurance difficulties for young'uns I think.

A Discovery 1's wheelbase is 100-inch.  A SWB Series is 88-inch and a LWB is 109-inch.  The rear wheel arch wouldn't fit on the Disco.  The mounts for the body and bulkhead are completely different to modifications to the Disco chassis would be required.

It's a lot of work basically.

However...  Do not give up hope about being insured on the Disco.  Get quotations from places like NFU, and ask them about different policy combinations or setups that would reduce the premium.

On a provisional licence, with NFU it is £500 on my 2A and £950 on a 1985 RRC.  But once I have my full licence the difference will drop to a small amount IIRC.

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 17:42:55 »
I thought that hybrids got cheaper insurance as you can get some that are tax exepmt and on 1973 plates, but are they just logged incorrectly to avoid tax? I would also like a hybrid cause it would be cheaper to replace panels after off roading and i prefer the look of them! Also they are more practical for my kayaking and biking as less trim and more space and can just throw things in rather than being cautious!
Cheers Sam

Offline Mudmonkey

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 17:55:57 »
To get a tax exemt hybrid you would need mainly the parts from the series vehicle if that makes sense because that is the tax exemt one. So if you made a series II with a disco body that could be tax exempt :P
Tom ;)8)
Don't Follow The Crowd, Be Different!
Big Blue! The Transformation Continues!

1995 300tdi Blue Defender 90

-------------------------------------------------------
[size=9]http://www.ylrec.co.uk|http://www.korc.co.uk|http://www.4x4prejudice.org[/size]

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
How hard would it be...
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 17:57:28 »
Quote from: "Mudmonkey"
To get a tax exemt hybrid you would need mainly the parts from the series vehicle if that makes sense because that is the tax exemt one. So if you made a series II with a disco body that could be tax exempt :P

no it couldnt...

cos the only things that would be tax exempt is the vin & panels & the panels count for hehaaw in the scoring system
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline beatmasterdave

Attack Member
  • Toyota Hilux 2.4TD Auto (more kit coming!)
How hard would it be...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 17:58:28 »
yo! im 18 ang got cheaper insurance on my disco cos its a commercial with 2 seats, under van insurance. i had a toyota hilux before and same for that. the number of seats affects our insurance prices a lot at our age, probibly because taking people around is more harmful than taking goods around.
a vehicle that has been modified may bring the insurance price right up because it's been modified. duno really, hope that helps, goodluck!

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 18:00:09 »
so my best bet is to look for a hybrid built on a tax exempt range rover chassis cause then your just changing the body, am i corrcet? haha its so confusing may as well stick with me disco

Guardian.

How hard would it be...
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 18:13:46 »
to be legal it is not at all confusing to be tax exempt it has to be a pre 1972 or 1973 not sure, , not part or bits of, basically the whole thing.
you would get away with a series and putting a defender body on it, but that would be it, you do have to keep the same axles, suspension, brakes etc.
as redline said it is done on a points system, and basically if you change more than 1 major component, you do not have enough points to keep it registered as origional.
however,
we all know in the real world, people just buy an old recker and swap the plates over, this is fine until you have an accident, then you are in the plop, no insurance, and evading tax!
depends on how your cut out.

Offline Mudmonkey

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 18:40:14 »
Quote from: "Redlinemike"

no it couldnt...

cos the only things that would be tax exempt is the vin & panels & the panels count for hehaaw in the scoring system

What about the egine and axels etc? They would be series so count towards the tax exempt bit too. It would only be the body your taking off the series to put the disco shell on.
Tom ;)8)

[size=9]http://www.ylrec.co.uk|http://www.korc.co.uk|http://www.4x4prejudice.org[/size]

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
How hard would it be...
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 18:56:11 »
Quote from: "Redlinemike"

no it couldnt...

What about the egine and axels etc? They would be series so count towards the tax exempt bit too. It would only be the body your taking off the series to put the disco shell on.

you like working in the stone ages :lol:

ReRead his post,he wants to build a hybrid with his disco so thus puting a series body on the disco chassis  :wink:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Mudmonkey

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 19:16:54 »
lol yeah I got that bit but i said it would only be possible to make it tax exempt if you use mainly series parts as i dont think discos are tax exempt :lol: :roll:
Tom ;)8)

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 19:41:35 »
Haha sorry for causing such a stir! Would it be better to buy a hybrid thing that is tax exempt or are they just all a way of avoiding tax?
Is this one actually legal? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Landrover-Defender-90-Hybrid-V8_W0QQitemZ270080685548QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Kind regards Sam.

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
How hard would it be...
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 19:56:43 »
If you use your disco to build a hybrid it will never be tax exempt, plus its a modified vehicle  :shock:

Why if you are willing to tear the disco apart, just buy a roof rack for the kayak and a bike rack to fit the bike.  Then look again if you damage it off road  :wink:  Second hand disco panels are easier to get than series in good cond.

Sounds daft but buy the DVD A 4x4 is Born, He is a [ed - prod with a sharp implement] but you will see what is involved with the work even if you feel he talks to you like a baby  :twisted:

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Guardian.

How hard would it be...
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 09:40:43 »
your link above, to start with it looks like a coilsprung defender chassis!
not saying either way but there are not many legal ones around, ive seen and had several tax exempt landrovers, and i know of only 1 that was actually tax exempt.

Offline suggs

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 14:41:36 »
Hi mate

if your after a very serious fully legal Hybrid, my old one is looking like it may be up for sale. due to a change in circumstances a pal of mine (Thumbs from here) who now has it is thinking of selling it on, theres pics in my profile if you want to get an idea what its like..

cheers
modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 17:04:25 »
Looks lovely but seeing as im only 16 i doubt that i could afford it! Looks lovely though! Think i may as well just spend my money on mods for my disco and just brave the insurance and tax!

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 19:35:44 »
You cannot build a tax exempt hybrid unless you use
a)a pre 1972/3 rr asyour base
or
b)Get a pre 1972/3 series and then fit a pattern coil sprung chassis with rr axlels but you would then have to keep everything else standard

It would be far easier and cheaper to buy an early 90 or 110 that has the right engine etc for what you want and run that although ins is still high.

For cheap insurance at 17 a landy aint the best place to be looking tho.
if you you can make it i can break it.

Offline winx

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 19:38:04 »
I am looking into insurance at the moment for a second discovery to save the  current one from damage.  The NFU who I am currently with quoted me £1550 fully comp for an L plate 200tdi commercial worth £1500 :lol:

Rang Graham Sykes who I insure my beach buggy with and they quoted me £245 fully comp for it, with mods such as lift, wheels/tyres, winch etc.  Wonder which one I will go with! :D
The quotes were based on me being 24, second car, garaged and mileage limited to 8k a year.  Let me know if you need a number and I can dig it out. :)

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 20:18:22 »
See... hmm insurance is depressing.. im  thinking of getting a hybrid but i want to straight swap for my disco... but i want one that is tax exempt and doesnt need that much doing to it  :?  Quite like the look of lightweight hybrids! How hard is it to convert a v8 on su's to lpg?
I keep changing this thread so much! AS my mind changes!

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 21:18:42 »
Quote from: "onzasam"
See... hmm insurance is depressing.. im  thinking of getting a hybrid but i want to straight swap for my disco... but i want one that is tax exempt and doesnt need that much doing to it  :?  Quite like the look of lightweight hybrids! How hard is it to convert a v8 on su's to lpg?
I keep changing this thread so much! AS my mind changes!

You might want to consider that a 3.5litre engine will likely count against you if you're only 17 :)
--

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 21:42:11 »
Well i saw somewhere on here that a v8 is cheaper than a tdi to insure as they are less desierable to theives... and come on its worth the extra for that sound!  8)

Offline redhand

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 21:47:18 »
Looks lovely but seeing as im only 16 i doubt that i could afford it! Looks lovely though! Think i may as well just spend my money on mods for my disco and just brave the insurance and tax!

once you get a into buying a modified vehicle your insurance will go thru the roof
It's an unknown qty to your insurer,
your more likely to drive it aggressively and therefore more likely to damage it.
it is more likely to be stolen.
This is what your insurer will think (not me) and will put the price through the roof. especially at your age.

also If you don't know what to look for you could end up with a right dog. You don't build an hybrid for tootling round town, you thrash the pants off em doing extreme offroading.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 22:02:26 »
Well i saw somewhere on here that a v8 is cheaper than a tdi to insure as they are less desierable to theives... and come on its worth the extra for that sound!  8)

That's true, but only to a degree,  usually the fact that you're a youngster and that you have a large engine works against you before the fact it's not going to get nicked works in your favour ...

I'm sorry to say that at that age the assumption is that you'll have inserted it into someone, or wrapped it around a lamp post long before you get chance to have it nicked ...

I know that sounds very insulting and condescending, but I was in that boat a few years ago :(
--

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 22:29:18 »
I know exactly what you mean, thats why i wanted a hybrid cause then i could of got "classic insurance" which would of hopefully of worked out cheaper cause im not going to be doing that many miles anwyay

Offline redhand

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 22:38:20 »
I know exactly what you mean, thats why i wanted a hybrid cause then i could of got "classic insurance" which would of hopefully of worked out cheaper cause im not going to be doing that many miles anwyay

It doesn't work like that any modified vehicle is going to put your insurance through the roof. The only way to keep your insurance manageable is to buy a bog standard series landy and keep it for a couple of years. you could "make a hybrid up" and phone a few insurance brokers for a quote. Make sure your sitting down though.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 23:04:13 »
given the option again what I would do is to get a cheap series motor (really cheap) and insure that third part on a limited milage affair (limited to around 2 miles a year) and then use my dad's insurance till I hit 25 and could insure something which actually has wheels :D
--

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
How hard would it be...
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 23:33:56 »

Classic policies normally are only available for 21+.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal