AuthorTopic: Checker Plate Wings  (Read 5261 times)

Offline drum

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Checker Plate Wings
« on: October 30, 2004, 19:10:57 »
I've bought some check plate for the wings, on my 54 plate 110 (best protect them now before I bend them), however the ones I've bought are the ones that over lap the intake, with screw holes for the black plastic cover. Is it customery to have the checkplate, or the air intake cover on top.

Also I'll need to remove the ariel to fit the driver's side one, is this just a matter of uncrewing the top holder, and re screwing them ontop of the checkplate along with the rubber washer?

Offline drum

Attack Member
Re: Checker Plate Wings
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 13:50:10 »
In the end I put the black plastic vents on the top, and sealed them with a bead of silicone sealant. Had to replace the black screws with slightly longer silver ones, which actually looks quite neat  :D

The ariel was only held with the top collar as mentioned, and a small clip at the bottom. Very easy to remove and refit, especially with the drivers side "vent cover" removed. And the hoel required to fit the ariel through the checker is exactly the same size as a 1" water pipe hole, so I had the hole saw.

Nice neat job even if I say so myself.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Checker Plate Wings
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 14:15:27 »
A '54' plate??
I'd have a gentle word with the supplying dealer first asking if it will affect the warranty.

After all if it's an after-market part?

Whilst not being in the position with a LR product (so far), we once had problems with a 2weekFiat Punto TD that we had a tow-bar fitted to.
The dealer wasn't too happy & grumbled until we signed a disclaimer against the non-factory/dealer fitted parts.

That was the last car we bought from them
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Checker Plate Wings
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 15:50:39 »
I remember donkey's years ago, when the Sierra first came out, a guy bought one, fitted a new tow-bar to it and went touring to the south coast.  On his return he took the car back to the dealer complaining of a load cracking noise coming from the back suspension.  On investigation it appeared that the towbar had ripped the boot floor out and the car was almost in 2 peices, needless to say a re-shell was on the cards.
Guy complains under warranty, 'it's an aftermarket towbar' he's told, 'your warranty doesn't cover it'!
Guy takes the company to court, 'was there an OE towbar available at the time' they ask the company 'er, no' in fact there still wasn't by this time.
Guy gets a new car from uncle Henry, dust finally settles.
Anyone who has seen an OE towbar for an early Sierra will know what a beast it is, not only does it use the bumper mounts but also has reinforcing within the rear inner wings and finishes below the rear quarter window!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline drum

Attack Member
Checker Plate Wings
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 16:19:14 »
I had a gentle word when buying it, and it is written on the order, that any aftermarket parts I fit, will not effect the warranty unless an independent accessor agrees that the part I fitted is to blame. I'm surprised that they let me get away with it, but then I made it quite clear that I wouldn't buy the car without this either on the order, or a letter from the dealership to this effect. While buying the car I walked out of 4 dealerships that I didn't like, or were'nt interested in dealing with me.

It does mean that I may have to pay for an accessor if I ever have a warranty claim. I was also impressed with a 3 year unlimited mileage international warranty.

Having such a car does confuse several of the 4x4 suppliers, apparently it is a new rear diff in the 110 defenders, and I've had to order the diff guard from our supplier as they don't stock it, and as such I'm getting a discount cos they want to see how it fits for future reference  :D

I've already fitted a Front Diff Guard, Steering Guard, NAS Rear Step\Tow Bar. The Car will shortly recieve a Snorkel, be chipped, and recieve a Suspension Hike and Larger Tyres. And if the power is there with the bigger wheels it will also get an Overdrive. All as funds allow. For the moment I'm skint till my next customer pays me :(

I really should upload the pictures from second day of ownership, they were interesting :D

Offline drum

Attack Member
Checker Plate Wings
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 16:39:47 »
Quote from: "drum"
I really should upload the pictures from second day of ownership, they were interesting :D

If you look to the left, you'll see my 110 the second day I had it, note the missing front number plate.  :oops:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal