AuthorTopic: Bulkhead rot  (Read 693 times)

Offline Whitelandyman90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Deepest darkest west of Ireland
  • Referrals: 0
Bulkhead rot
« on: January 19, 2007, 15:10:41 »
Just recently noticed the early signs of bulkhead rot on my 90 in the shape of a small amount of rust under the seal just above the front drivers side vent. It seems soft so I reckon it's gone through.  :(

Anyone got any advice as to the best gear to apply etc to stave off the inevitable for a little longer?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it ain't dirty, do something about it!!

Yeah, I know it's not white and it's not a 90 but my last one was :-)

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Bulkhead rot
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 20:09:09 »
If the rot has already taken hold then there is no way of turning the clock back and believe me, for all the rot you can see it will be a whole lot worse when you take it apart to carry out welded repairs.
You can try any widely available rust-killer but I wouldn't hold out much hope and I would start looking out for a replacement bulkhead (plenty of new ones still available for not very much money).
Yes you can weld it but as I said, be prepared for the rot to be a lot more widespread when you have removed the screen frame, dash etc.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
Bulkhead rot
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 15:37:10 »
You can get top corners for the bulkhead, which I have done on my 1985 90.  These are well worth a look at as they are a lot easier to replace than the whole bulkhead - Believe me I know!!!!!!

Though if you do the whole bulkhead GET IT GALVANISED!!!!!
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"
Langley Farm Booking Secretary - Camping
Yorkshire Land Rover Owners Club
Langley Farm 4x4 Show 7th - 9th September 2007

Guardian.

Bulkhead rot
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 19:16:20 »
NOT WORTH THE MESSING ABOUT, BRAND NEW GENUINE BULKHEADS ON EBAY 245 QUID, ON THERE ALL THE TIME. AND THEY ARE NOT THAT HARD TO SWAP, JUST TIME CONSUMING REALLY.
AND BEFORE YOU ALL START, THERE NOT MINE OR ANYONE I KNOW, JUST TRYING TO BE HELPFUL.

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Bulkhead rot
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 20:23:46 »
I'm with you all the way.
By the time you have done a thorough repair and eliminated all the rot (if you can) you might have well replaced it for a brand new one. I have done two brand new replacements now and I would do another one if I had to as at the end of the day it is only nuts & bolts and you end up with a far better/longer lasting job. A while ago brand-new bulkheads were only fetching between £100-£150 but even at the current price of around £250 they represent fantastic value for money.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Bulkhead rot
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 23:08:33 »
and also whilst you changing the bulk head, you can change the outriggers before they drop off,  :wink:
thinking ahead into future like a year or so when holes start appearing
id go new bulkhead, makes sense really
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal