AuthorTopic: Maverick fault ?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline gag

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Maverick fault ?
« on: January 14, 2007, 12:55:06 »
Any ideas on this one guys and gals ?  No poblems on starting since fitting the new battery to the Mav, (2.7 gls) but after 10 to 15 miles or so, on stopping for traffic lights etc,etc, the engine sometimes, (not always), cuts out. After ten seconds or so, the engine starts with no bother but the engine management light remains on. Once the engine is stopped at the end of the trip and then re-started, the light stays off. This happens around every couple of weeks or so. It says in the handbook that if this particular light comes on and stays on, to proceed to the nearest Ford Dealer to have it checked over. To clarify matters, the light I refer to is the amber - coloured light shaped like an engine. am I  doing any damage by not having this checked out as the engine seems to be running fine even with the light on ? Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers  :D

George.
George.

Offline Jonathan M

Attack Member
Maverick fault ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 20:18:45 »
The MIL (Malfunction indicator light) can come on for a variety of reasons. A common cause on the 2.7 diesel Terrano/Maverick is a faulty MAF sensor near the air filter. But this doesn't sound like atypical MAF failiure (loss of power, poor fuel economy).

Could it be a fuel supply problem? Blocked filter or even the small fuel pump mounted "micro" filter that the older terrano/Mav's have?

Might be worth a go on www.nissan4x4owners.co.uk for more specific type information.
Nissan terrano 2 SWB Kumho tyres hella lights

Offline gag

Attack Member
Thanks Jonathan.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 23:22:26 »
Thanks for the reply Jonathan. I think you may have hit the nail on the head regarding fuel filters. I have noticed that whilst on the move, with the motor warmed-up, when I put my foot down there is sometimes a bit of hesitation before the motor responds. This doesnt happen every time I am on the move but it is getting more regular lately. I will have the filters checked out as I am putting it in for a service shortly.

Thanks Again.

George.
George.

Offline auto

Attack Member
Maverick fault ?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:28:48 »
defo fuelling probs! Whilst youre checking the system, replace filetr obviously, and also check all pipes connecting the tank etc, make sure that there are none that are perished causing leaks in the system! be it air leaks etc.

Offline gag

Attack Member
Maverick fault ?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 03:59:42 »
Cheers Auto, will do mate.

Thanks.
George.
George.

Offline Jonathan M

Attack Member
Re: Thanks Jonathan.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 13:32:16 »
Quote from: "gag"
Thanks for the reply Jonathan. I think you may have hit the nail on the head regarding fuel filters. I have noticed that whilst on the move, with the motor warmed-up, when I put my foot down there is sometimes a bit of hesitation before the motor responds. This doesnt happen every time I am on the move but it is getting more regular lately. I will have the filters checked out as I am putting it in for a service shortly.

Thanks Again.

George.

The micro filter that I mention is on the fuel pump, and it is highly likely that even a ford/nissan garage would not bother cleaning it out, yet it can cause problems on the pre intercooled engines as it can become obstructed, usually with small fibres from the fuel filter itself.

i don't have experience of this filter myself, as the TDI does not have it fitted, and I can't link to the workshop download on the Nissan 4x4 owners club website, as the site is members only (£10 per year) but post in the guest section there, see what the consensus is, and consider the mini/micro filter on the fuel pump.
Nissan terrano 2 SWB Kumho tyres hella lights

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal