AuthorTopic: Viscous or electric  (Read 1126 times)

Offline ed209

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Viscous or electric
« on: January 08, 2007, 20:49:46 »
Hi All

As the question says Viscous or Electric fan??

As I am quite new to owning a landy i have been reading that some prefer one or the other for different reasons
Where would i find the inline temp switch etc for an electric fan?
Would i need a manual overide?
How reliable are electric fans?

Regards
'67 Series
SWB SW  
2.25 Derv
Parabolics Extended Shackles
Extended Shocks
RRC Diffs
750 x 16's
Roof Rack / Ladder
Bull Bar (Front) + Spots
14" Mountney steering wheel
Centre Cubby Box
Genuine L/R Oil Bath Air Filter for Snorkel
Snorkel  
65amp 110 Alternator  
*Staffie co driver (never complains and hates horses)*

'63 Series
SWB (open top)
2.25 Petrol (for now)
Rear Mount Tank

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Viscous or electric
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 21:04:15 »
Is it for the 67 2.25 diesel?
What do you use your Landrover for?

If you do a lot of off-roading with mucho water splashing, then an electric fan is very useful as you can turn it off to your engine and dizzy being spray washed. With a derv, it will just leave your engine cleaner, as water doesn't matter too much to a dizzy-less engine.

Viscous fans are good for keeping your engine cool, it will also prevent it warming up, some say it's not noticable, some say it is. Equally some say that MPG is improved by removing the viscous fan, others not. You probably get the same amount of MPG savings by ensuring your tyres are correctly inflated, though this is going off topic a bit.

We have a Ford 3 litre V6, it has an electric fan as the PO removed the viscous - it was a bit far away from the radiator to do any good, this engine sits quite low on the same mounts.

An electric fan is quite good, though without an inline thermostat you have to keep an eye on the temp gauge (like I do). You can get inline thermostats though are quite expensive IMO.

As for switches, a simple fan will require just one switch, ours is wired to the dash lights switch, and the dash lights come on with the sidelights.
An inline thermo controlled fan will need a three way switch, off, on, thermo controlled. Both the above give a manual override.

Not sure on reliability, not had it long enough to be classed as reliable, though they do go on for years, however, it should never be as reliable as a viscous fan.

Rob
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline ed209

Attack Member
Viscous or electric
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 21:17:49 »
Hi

I travel to work and back in her during the week 3 miles there and three miles back.
At the weekends i will take her down the local byways for a little fun and to escape with the dog for a while should the opportunity arise.
Don't do quarries as i don't want to wreck it just a jolly jaunt around the countryside for a couple of hours and through the ford on the way home to get the thick of it off.

Regards
'67 Series
SWB SW  
2.25 Derv
Extended Shocks
RRC Diffs
750 x 16's
Roof Rack / Ladder
Bull Bar (Front) + Spots
Centre Cubby Box
Snorkel  
65amp 110 Alternator  

'63 Series
SWB (open top)
2.25 Petrol (for now)
Rear Mount Tank

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Viscous or electric
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 21:48:46 »
Hi ed,

In 3 miles it's not going to heat up with or without the viscous fan. A petrol may heat up without the viscous fan at a push, but not the diesel.

You could get away with removing the viscous fan, and having any old electric fan from any car at the scrappers. You will just need a switch to connect it to. I doubt you would ever use it, apart from your couple of hours jaunt.

I've got a question for you, off this topic...
I see you have RRC diffs in your lanny, with a 2.25 diesel (if original derv engine). How does it go with the lower ratio diffs? I have heard that that engine is not too good for pulling, though that could be just poor rumours etc.
I ask as keep on thinking about an engine change, but just put the RRC diffs in.

Thinking more about your regular spash, change the viscous fan. You will want a fan, 12" if possible, though you should get away with 10" - ours is (bloody PO). It probably needs a fuse, though ours hasn't got one, the PO was not electrician... Then just keep an eye on your temp gauge.

Rob.
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline ed209

Attack Member
diffs
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 22:37:37 »
Hi

It had a 2.25 N/A diesel and some one had turned the fuel pump up, flat out in 4th it'd do 45mph then it blew it's rings going to test station.
For £60 I aquired a replacement 2.25 that had benn dry stored with oil in for 7 yrs (bit of a gamble but what the hell) got it fired up and it ran on 3 so took head off and put my old one on and runs quite sweet.
While all this was taking place above underneath was the diff change. The series diffs came out and luckily too as the back was worn and dry and in went the rangie ones fresh seals too, on standard disco tyres 50mph was easily obtainable but took some time to get there, then i put it on 750's. Hills and head wind are a problem but then 3rd isn't far away, ironic that you ask me this tonight as i checked the speed with tom tom and cruises on the flat at 55-57mph pused to 63mph but didn't like it.
The other thing i've noticed is the engine is working more and temp wise sits at half way on the road as before struggled off the bottom a welcome thing at this time of yr just wondering what it'll be like in the summer
Regards
'67 Series
SWB SW  
2.25 Derv
Extended Shocks
RRC Diffs
750 x 16's
Roof Rack / Ladder
Bull Bar (Front) + Spots
Centre Cubby Box
Snorkel  
65amp 110 Alternator  

'63 Series
SWB (open top)
2.25 Petrol (for now)
Rear Mount Tank

Offline S188

Attack Member
Viscous or electric
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 17:34:55 »
I've been thinking about fitting a Viscus fan on my 2.25 diesel.  Will one fit and what would I need?  At the moment I have a standard fan (which doesn't have a cowl) but in the winter the temp gauge struggles to get over 60°C - somewhat overcooled I recon!

I've used a sucker electric fan (ie where the original goes) But I killed it with not a great deal of mud (aparently it was fitted upsidedown, though it had the wires comming out the bottem as spesified).  Lickally it had a 2 year warentee (Kenlowe).  That warentee came in usefull again after the temp sensor broke due to water (its mounted high up round the back of my rad panel out the way, and its a petrol engine so I don't wade it massively).

I do drive with an eye on the temp gauge but did once only notice I'd forgot to turn it on when it had just passed 100°C - I'd trther have an automatic system and am slightly put off by the electric idea.

A viscous fan must be slightly more efficent than the macanical one I have now.  Any ideas?
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Viscous or electric
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 18:15:03 »
In my own opinion, for your requirements, a viscious would be ideal.  But why not simply keep with the standard Series fan setup?  It's a diesel, so a bit of water splash shouldn't be a problem...

My fear of the electric fan is that if it packs up, you've got no fan and you're stuffed if you suddenly happen to need it. (such as if the rad is blocked up mostly with mud etc.)

Offline ed209

Attack Member
Viscous or electric
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 20:59:25 »
I think i'll avoid the electric
'67 Series
SWB SW  
2.25 Derv