AuthorTopic: Stuck Police van!!  (Read 7547 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Stuck Police van!!
« on: January 06, 2007, 16:09:07 »
Just had a call from Sarah who was on her way to feed the ponies. A Police van had taken 'a wrong turn' and ended up along our track leading to the fields. Now, this is an unmade track and we've had a fair bit of rain recently........ you can guess the rest, I'm sure  :lol:

Sounds like they've bogged it up dreadfully trying to get the van out. They aparantly had a winch but didn't know how to use it  :shock:

I was about to leave work to go and pull them out when Sarah rang back and said they'd made it. What a shame, I would have taken some pictures before helping them  :twisted:  :lol: I'm feel sure it would have provided entertainment for you lot!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 16:19:22 »
I hope they will be giving some money to put the road back right???

Someone will have a job to clean all the mud off and if they have a winch they cant use then donate it to me and let me play with it and I will happily pull stuck police vansout all day (and take photos of each one of course!!! :LOL: )
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 18:01:37 »
Turns out there were 2 vehicles. A van leading the way (badly!!) and a Land Rover, which had the winch. And not a tow rope in sight it seems  :roll:

The van ended up caked in mud and the driver was getting a right.... err..... 'telling off' by the other officer!

Unfortunately, Sarah didn't get any details from them so it would be difficult to persue any claim to fix the surface damage. The problem is it forms part of a footpath and I can see local busy bodies (you know the sort) blaming us for the damage.

The fact is that since we've owned the land the footpath has been properly maintained. We regularly repair with brick rubble, etc. Before we 'moved in' it would get into a mudbath during the winter. So now we have a bit more repair to do I suppose  :evil:
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline lenrover

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 21:19:38 »
not this one was it **snigger snigger**

Offline Steven

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 21:21:54 »
:lol: arr they need a Land Rover :lol:

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 22:12:02 »
It happens, More ofter than you know!  :oops:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 22:45:05 »
Trouoble is they often have to 'persue' joyriders and this is the result.  A mate works for Green Flag and you should see the 4x4 they have now for recovering abandoned cars, they places they turn up!

Local scallys were tryin to shunt them down a railway cutting on the the line then torch them all Grand Theft Auto style.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 11:29:50 »
Got an update last night!!

It seems the local toerags have been spotted dealing flour or sugar in little plastic bags (or something like that  :roll: ) in the entrance to our neighbours (to the field) property. The police are now driving by every so often to keep an eye on the place. These two did actually 'take a wrong turning'!! The track only goes to our fields.

Had a look last night and its bogged up a bit, but not too bad really. They have churned up the grass off the track too, but it will recover.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 21:56:59 »
Quote from: "91Steven"

its only cos they are police....they aint got a bl**** clue how to drive a 4x4 offroad only on road  :roll:
them terrano's aint that bad yano, well if you take fuel outta the equasion  :lol:
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 01:32:22 »
Quote from: "thebiggreenthing"

its only cos they are police....they aint got a bl**** clue how to drive a 4x4 offroad only on road  :roll:
them terrano's aint that bad yano, well if you take fuel outta the equasion  :lol:
dan

Excuse me, dear chap, I beg to differ! Most of my time with Norfolk Police was spent driving Plod 90's and Discos in varying types of terrain and conditions at various types of incident! :shock:
I did the Police Off Road driving course and the official Landrover one.
My sergeant used to get very annoyed with me due to the 90 being covered in mud, after I had finished with it.
My best moment was chasing a load of travellers who were hare coursing near Downham Market.
One of their Isuzu Troopers ended up in a ditch. I don't know how that happened as I was looking the other way at the time, although I did feel a sudden loss of acceleration before I went past them.
I then went head to head in a game of chicken with a Subaru Legacy on a dyke top (for the none Norfolk folk among you, a dyke is a water drainage channel, not a lady in comfortable shoes), which ended up with the Subaru skidding to a halt inches from the bumper of my 90.
The final score was Police 5, travelers 0.
We got them done for poaching, trespass with intent to take game, possesion of offensive weapons and criminal damage.
Big fines and they got their shiny cars seized and crushed.
As Sheriff JW Pepper said "You picked the wrong county to haul ass through, boy!"

So in answer to your remark, yes, we do know how to use them! It is also great to be able to drive greenlanes whilst getting paid, and the ramblers can't say a word!  :twisted:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Re: Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 01:33:59 »
Quote from: "V8MoneyPit"
Just had a call from Sarah who was on her way to feed the ponies. A Police van had taken 'a wrong turn' and ended up along our track leading to the fields. Now, this is an unmade track and we've had a fair bit of rain recently........ you can guess the rest, I'm sure  :lol:

Sounds like they've bogged it up dreadfully trying to get the van out. They aparantly had a winch but didn't know how to use it  :shock:

I was about to leave work to go and pull them out when Sarah rang back and said they'd made it. What a shame, I would have taken some pictures before helping them  :twisted:  :lol: I'm feel sure it would have provided entertainment for you lot!

Where roughly was this? It might be some of my old shift that got stuck. I feel some making fun coming on.

Offline lenrover

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 02:03:41 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"

dan

Excuse me, dear chap, I beg to differ! Most of my time with Norfolk Police was spent driving Plod 90's and Discos in varying types of terrain and conditions at various types of incident! :shock:
I did the Police Off Road driving course and the official Landrover one.
My sergeant used to get very annoyed with me due to the 90 being covered in mud, after I had finished with it.
My best moment was chasing a load of travellers who were hare coursing near Downham Market.
One of their Isuzu Troopers ended up in a ditch. I don't know how that happened as I was looking the other way at the time, although I did feel a sudden loss of acceleration before I went past them.I then went head to head in a game of chicken with a Subaru Legacy on a dyke top (for the none Norfolk folk among you, a dyke is a water drainage channel, not a lady in comfortable shoes), which ended up with the Subaru skidding to a halt inches from the bumper of my 90.
The final score was Police 5, travelers 0.
We got them done for poaching, trespass with intent to take game, possesion of offensive weapons and criminal damage.
Big fines and they got their shiny cars seized and crushed.
As Sheriff JW Pepper said "You picked the wrong county to haul ass through, boy!"

So in answer to your remark, yes, we do know how to use them! It is also great to be able to drive greenlanes whilst getting paid, and the ramblers can't say a word!  :twisted:

Funny stuff pmsl :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 02:58:50 »
Just as an aside to this topic, if any of you have the 1/18th scale Universal Hobbies diecast model of the Norfolk Police Defender 90 with the red spot and number '26' on the roof, that is a model of my old partner AO52PKZ. She had a very specialized piece of equipment fitted, a cow herding stick!
We had some wonderful times together, blasting across the marshes, cruising along the beach. Oh, happy days!
I remember stopping a chap for speeding down the A47, and he was most cheesed off at A) having been caught, and B) having a Landy keeping up with him. That TD5 used to go like s**t off a shovel!
In fact if any of you have got a model with the left flap guard missing off the rear, that is how they were made, and the story goes something like this.
That particular Landy was based at Acle, my old station. One of my colleagues was out, 'patrolling the country lanes' when the nearside rear mud flap 'fell off'.
It stayed like that for months, and in the meantime, UH models must have taken some piccys of it and produced the model. They did a run of about 200 before one of my oppos phoned them up and told them, having bought a model with the flap missing. I have one of the later models.
Unfortunately they use Terranos in Hampshire. Not a patch on my old girl, bless her.

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 12:19:05 »

dan

:roll:  :roll:  :roll: Sorry but I agree with Lord Shagg-Pyle, We do off road driving classes. There is always somenone who is going to make the odd mistake, it happens, expecially if there is lots going on around you :!:

Hare coursers are the bind of my life in Lincolnshire at this time of the year.

I had one run from us on the on a cold frosty morning, he forgot that even 4x4's are not good on a sheet of Ice and ended up in the river Witham...  :lol:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 12:28:28 »
people make mistakes... i rolled my landy in october  :cry:

mistakes happen. its life.
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 16:22:08 »
Where roughly was this? It might be some of my old shift that got stuck. I feel some making fun coming on.

New Buckenham, near Attleborough. Maybe a bit far east for your area?
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 16:39:33 »
Quote from: "V8MoneyPit"

New Buckenham, near Attleborough. Maybe a bit far east for your area?

Not at all, I worked in Norfolk from 91 til 05, in the North and East of Nelson's County. Unfortunately I never worked New Buckenham, which was a shame.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 17:42:56 »
Quote from: "Boggert"
[
 :roll:  :roll:  :roll: Sorry but I agree with Lord Shagg-Pyle, We do off road driving classes. There is always somenone who is going to make the odd mistake, it happens, expecially if there is lots going on around you :!:

I'm no PC plod but I have seen quiet a few pictures on MC of people going down lanes and ending up getting stuck and needing a tow out. At least it shows that the Police are trying to catch the b*****ds who pinch our cars.  :wink:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 10:12:24 »
Quote from: "muddyjames"
[

I'm no PC plod but I have seen quiet a few pictures on MC of people going down lanes and ending up getting stuck and needing a tow out. At least it shows that the Police are trying to catch the b*****ds who pinch our cars.  :wink:

Thanks Muddyjames, We are human after all.... well some of us are.... cannot vouch for the others!  :lol:

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 12:14:39 »

Unfortunately they use Terranos in Hampshire. Not a patch on my old girl, bless her.

Hantsamb and St Johns watched the changeover. As a result they have a few Terrannos but bothe have hung onto the Disco and Rangie based veichles :) I think Aldershot SJAB have a REALLY sick 110 V8
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 12:27:39 »
West Yorkshire have a couple of 110's, plus some ex-Northern Ireland amoured

On the point of Traffic cars, I've been told 'off the record' by an Officer that Vauxhall are supposed to be bringing the Commodore over from Oz
(that's the saloon/estate derivatives of the Monaro)

Having had a Monaro on test when they first came over, a few Officers are practically salivating awaiting the Commodore.

Think of the Omega........................ with a 5.7 Corvette sourced V8 :(biglove):
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 13:25:38 »
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 15:24:42 »
When I transferred, HantsPol would not accept all my driving qualifications (Advanced Grade 1, Pursuit, TPAC, off road, Public Order Van Tactics etc) so I had to be assessed for all again.
When it came to the 4x4 bit, I did a couple of the circuits and the instructor said "why are you here? This a waste of my time. You know what you are doing".
What a waste of tax payers money. But again, it was off roading whilst getting paid! Sweet!

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 08:25:48 »
I've just done the sprinter van training which the old LGV test, good fun and as you said got paid for it... I have applied for my 4x4 course... still waiting to hear from them  :roll:

I thought all driver training was transferable between forces.

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 08:34:15 »
Hey I saw that the other day Richard on the Drig bypass...... wondered what it was at the time and Johnty said he thought you had mentioned or even posted pics of them before but he couldnt remember what they were........... so now I know...... thanks :wink:
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 11:12:54 »
Quote from: "sleeplessparadise"
Hey I saw that the other day Richard on the Drig bypass...... wondered what it was at the time  

So now you know Helen  :wink:
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 14:21:56 »
I've just done the sprinter van training which the old LGV test, good fun and as you said got paid for it... I have applied for my 4x4 course... still waiting to hear from them  :roll:

I thought all driver training was transferable between forces.

You have got to be joking matey! HantsPol have a reputation for ignoring all qualifications from other Forces, as they like to do things 'their own way'.
I questioned that when I came down, asking them (in a very sarcastic tone), what was different i.e did they drive on the other side of the road, drive using ESP etc etc?
I was not very popular, especially after I showed the instructor exactly what could be done with a 2.5 V6 Mondeo. Not exactly text book, but it shut him up.

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 14:23:31 »
lol! 8)
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 14:32:16 »
J turns are OK in a Mondeo, but a bit tricky in a Landy, so don't get any ideas, Young Robster! :twisted:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Stuck Police van!!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 14:33:47 »
Quote from: Bush Tucker Man
West Yorkshire have a couple of 110's, plus some ex-Northern Ireland amoured

quote]

I had a drive in one of those whe I did a course with the Met. The Met ones were all V8's and the one I went in had a big sticker on the dash, saying "Do not exceed 40Mph, as the brakes may not function". :shock:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal