AuthorTopic: TD5 coolant loss  (Read 2439 times)

Offline age

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 coolant loss
« on: January 05, 2007, 17:10:46 »
Only found mud-club yesterday so hope this works!  Any help / (polite) suggestions will be welcome.

My Defender TD5 X reg (120k) is losing litres of coolant - came back from Devon last week filling up every 20 miles!  Header emptied completely on Hill to Cribbs Causeway and temp guage went to 3/4 with 'tappety' rattle coming on - otherwise not showing over temp at all.  I switched off and pulled over and AA came and refilled.  Started up no probs and filled up more carefully all the way home.

No sign of any leaks when run up to working temp on ramps.  New header cap.  After longer faster hot run water spray up under bonnet above header and puddles of coolant in ribbing on top of gearbox.

When taking header cap off to refill there is 'bubbling' into header from bottom feed pipe.  Bleed point on radiator hose releases lots of steam every time.

Help?!  Does this ring any bells with other TD5 owners?  I'm getting a bad feeling about gaskets/heads but hoping for something more simple....

Cheers, Age
3 Defenders on and I'd still buy another.....

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:30:54 »
Doesn't sound good.

I had similar problems on a 'W' plate Disco - it was fine on 'easy' runs, but give it some stick (it was fine under 60mph !), or a long hill (so the engine has to work), and it soon boiled. Tried changing the thermostat - made no difference, drained and flushed the cooling system - no change.

Had the head gasket done (and replaced the plastic  :shock:  head locating dowels with the later steel ones) and problem solved.

We we investigated the old gasket, it seemed to have gone between one cylinder and a water-way - so the engine compression was literally forcing the coolant out via the cap on the expansion tank.

Hope this helps.
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline age

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 13:14:19 »
Unfortunately sounds right on the button......  Did you do the gasket yourself or good workshop?  See you're in Herts so might be worth the trip if highly recommended....

Er, and about how much..........??  I see a service exchange head is getting on for a grand if that's damaged.  Happy New Year eh??

Cheers, A.

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 14:26:29 »
My tame mechanic did the job for me - tbh it was a couple of years back and I can't remember how much (had the clutch done at the same time !)

If you get a garage to do it - make sure they know what they're up to - most people (including LR) say that you CAN'T skim a Td5 head, although others in the know say that you can take the barest minimum off. As long as you've not boiled the thing to death, the head *should* be ok.

There are (I think) three different thicknesses of head gasket, identified by punched holes at one end - you can't see these marks until the heads off though  :roll:

As I mentioned earlier, the early Td5's had plastic dowels to locate the head - these have since been upgraded to steel dowels, so you'll need them as well. And don't forget to replace the head bolts - they are designed to be a use-once thing !
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Offline age

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 15:08:42 »
Really appreciate the advice.  Thame Land Rover (independents) have a pretty good rep around here. I'll get a quote from them and make sure all the studs etc are included.  I'm praying I haven't cracked it!!  I'll let you know when its confirmed/booked/done and how the overdraft goes!  Cheers, A.

Offline mmgemini

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 18:34:33 »
Having read the posts I thinbk I'll second Jimbo here.
Sorry but that's what it looks like.

Have you the plastic header tank ??  Have you checked that it hasn't split at the back of the tank, although I thought that they's sorted the tank out.
mike
nil illegitimate carborundum.

I can cause trouble in am empty house !!!

Offline age

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 23:28:57 »
Thanks for reading it through Mike - I will check the tank just in case - its the 'globe' plastic job.  Otherwise take a deep breath and book her in....

Cheers, A.

Offline paulkielder

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 23:09:33 »
had a similer thing on my td5 110, but that was the head gone????????? while your head is off it might be worth getin a preasure test done on it to make sure that it is in good condition????
a garage by me fitted 2 head gaskets to a td5!!!! then they found out it was the head itself hat was gone!!!!

dont man to scare you :shock:  just to warn you of what COULD happen!!!!
I'll get through that!!!!
balks i'm stuck!!!!!!!!

paul td5 110

Offline age

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 19:21:02 »
Thanks Paul - I think............!

Thame have crack detector and I'm optimistic that I've caught it before any major damage.  Did that sound convincing????

Watch this space......... A.

Offline age

Attack Member
TD5 coolant loss
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 20:12:18 »
Paul/Mike & co - pleased to report the new gasket is in and 'apparently' no head damage.............. fingers crossed.

Had the steel dowels - the LR parts system still calls up the nylon ones for Defender, but metal for Disco.....??

Old dowels had visible step in them and the No 5 exhaust valve was polishing the lip of the cylinder bore with so much movement in the head!

Not unadjacent to £500 ...........

Thanks for your input.  Cheers, A.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal