AuthorTopic: Difficult to start 2.5TD County  (Read 744 times)

Offline Awkward

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Difficult to start 2.5TD County
« on: January 03, 2007, 15:52:42 »
Good afternoon from a new boy to RRs and this forum.
I have had a Y Plate 2.5TD County for the last month or so and it has started easily and run beautifully until very recently.
Following a run up to Edinburgh from Kent, the engine has been difficult to start and, once started it tends to cavitate and miss indeed, the run back to Kent was a tense affair as the engine took some persuading to start after each of the 4 stops that I made.
This morning was 'pick up the dog from the kennels day' and I had a real kerfuffle getting up and running although once it had been running for 10-15 minutes, the engine returned to its normal efficient self. However, confidence levels are a little low at the mo and I left the engine running at the kennels...
Any ideas along the lines of: glo plugs, dirty fuel, water in the fuel, new filter req'd?
Any and all help will be much appreciated.
Regards to all.

Guardian.

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 18:47:09 »
i would definately get the heater plugs checked out, if it runs fine after 5 or 10 mins, theres not much wrong with her. im not sure but dont think they cost a lot for them either.

Offline sean m

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 20:41:42 »
It sounds like fuel supply problem, when was the fuel filter last changed?
Check for any small leakes of fuel and air filter work through it methodicaly its proberly something minor.You can test glow plugs with test lamp indavidualy by taking off buzz bar and if lamp lights up glow plugs ok

Offline Awkward

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 20:48:34 »
Nice one.
The car was serviced 3k miles ago at 81k but I don't know when the filter was checked or changed - I'll ring the garage that did the work and if they didn't change it then, I'll get a new one.
So that's my AM taken up and I'll keep you posted on the outcome(s).
Many thanks for your advice.

Offline Awkward

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 15:05:40 »
Almost definitely a fuel supply problem!
The fuel running out of the engine-side of the fuel filter is coming through the transparent tubing with 'gaps' in it - not in a continuous flow. There is a 'suck/blow' noise every now and then too, which suggests there is air being sucked into the system at or about the fuel filter assembly area.
I've got the new filter and will fit it whilst checking for cracked seals and so on.
Thanks again for all advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal