AuthorTopic: Discovery ignition and lights  (Read 337 times)

Offline CM

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Discovery ignition and lights
« on: January 02, 2007, 15:32:26 »
I have a 93 Discovery 200 series - On the A1 the other night, 200 miles from home, ignition plus headlights suddenly went dead.  

Have tried all sorts since - one problem is that as far as I can see the ignition and headlights are on two separate circuits and yet they went together!

Nothing is getting through to the headlight and main beam fuses although the motorway flasher works.  Side lights front an back are OK. Have tried new light stalk but still the same.

Could it be the dim dip unit? - I don't see how it should knock out the ignition or vice versa but as far as I can see it's the only place the two meet.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 17:02:18 »
fusable link? i have a 200 disco and mine went yesterday. one mintue i had lights and the next i didnt. i lost lights, interior lights hazzard lights and horn.....all went at once. checked fuses but they were all fine. changed stalk but still nothing. imspanners on plcuk told me to check fusable links.....he was spot on. they had rotted out. so new fuse holders and 40amp fuses i changed the fusable links..... i now have lights again
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline CM

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 19:33:53 »
Quote from: "denviks"
fusable link? i have a 200 disco and mine went yesterday. one mintue i had lights and the next i didnt. i lost lights, interior lights hazzard lights and horn.....all went at once. checked fuses but they were all fine. changed stalk but still nothing. imspanners on plcuk told me to check fusable links.....he was spot on. they had rotted out. so new fuse holders and 40amp fuses i changed the fusable links..... i now have lights again

Thanks for the suggestion - on the lighting circuit, are the fusable links on the switch side of the fuses or the headlight side?  Also, where do I find them on the car?

CM

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 20:36:49 »
look at the drivers side inner wing. follow the small power cable that comes from + side of battery up to the inner wing. you will see a mesh material covering the wire there.... the fused links are in there....you need to cut it open. try pulling them and see if they go. ie pull apart easily..... you dont want to pull hard  :wink:
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal