AuthorTopic: Newbie - buying a Freelander?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline West-is-Best

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Newbie - buying a Freelander?
« on: December 29, 2006, 15:45:08 »
I currently have a standard Hyundai Sante Fe 2.7V6 Auto which I was considering trying out greenlanning.

However, looking around various sources it seems that there is little in the way of published info / mod kits / accessories / owners clubs etc. for this vehicle.

I am therefore leaning towards getting a new vehicle and quite fancy a Freelander (I am restricted to automatics and there seem to be plenty about).

I will still use vehicle to go back and fore to work. So therefore intend to buy a standard model for 5k or so add some underbody protection, good wheels and tyres, join a group of experianced guys / girls and away I go - is it as simple as that?

Also what model Freelander would you recomend (I also want to occasionaly tow a large caravan locally with it).

Your replies will be appreciated.
Scarlet 'till I die

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 15:55:23 »
TD4.
Good torque, happily cruises at the legal limit (and above!) without excessive noise. Available in auto.

V6.
Quite quick for a 4x4. Will tow with ease, but at the expense of fuel consumption. Also available in auto I believe.

Personally, I would avoid this one. They outnumber the others by a huge margin, but too many suffer from engine trouble. In any case, it isn't the most powerful of motors in this size of car.

3dr vs. 5dr purely depends on your preference. 5dr models tend to hold a premium on price.

The Freelander is surprisingly capable off road, particularly good with wet grass or sloppy mud. The only limitation is ground clearance and this can be improved. It will probably feel more like a car to drive than your Santa Fe.

Check the towing capacity, if the caravan is a large one. It might not be legally able to tow it.

Best thing is to get along to your local dealer a try one.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline jimthelandyman

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 16:35:54 »
Avoid 1.8's !!!!!!

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 19:26:17 »
V6 very quick and capable only available in auto/semi manual version
FREELANDER V6 LPG...GO GAS

http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk/

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 14:51:21 »
I would go for the TD4, only because I have one  :wink: Go for the top of the range if you can.
Suprisingly good, if you want to give green laning a go :D Shame about ground clearance, I have become used to sliding across mud now :lol: , though as V8MoneyPit said this can be resolved with a lift kit.

Cheers
Schuee

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 16:15:00 »
Td4 is the engine to go for.

5dr Station Wagons hold their value better than 3dr models and as said above, go for the highest spec you can get. Personally, we brought a 52plate Td4 5-dr in ES spec - have t osay its great.

Good offroad too - just have to watch ground clearance.

More companies now offer under-body protection and lifts. Once you've got a lift, then you can fit bigger 'boots' to lift the axles a bit more.

I think it was 2001 onwards when Ford got involved that the build quality improved. So try and buy as new / good as you can afford. Prices will be lower now Freelander2 is out!

Good luck!
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 16:26:15 »
Quote from: "Steve ray"
More companies now offer under-body protection and lifts. Once you've got a lift, then you can fit bigger 'boots' to lift the axles a bit more.

There aren't any axles as such  :wink: The suspension lift has the effect of lifting everything except the hubs and the outer end of the suspension arms. It is fair to say that the arms can drag on the edge of ruts. Larger tyres, would as you suggest help here.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 17:54:54 »
Quote from: "V8MoneyPit"
...............There aren't any axles as such  :wink: The suspension lift has the effect of lifting everything except the hubs and the outer end of the suspension arms. It is fair to say that the arms can drag on the edge of ruts. Larger tyres, would as you suggest help here.

You knew what I meant :)

Freelander's are often dismissed (incl other LR owners) but I have to say having used one off-road several times, then you just need to watch 'em in the deep ruts - otherwise they're surprisingly good :)
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 09:27:47 »
Quote from: "Steve ray"
Freelander's are often dismissed (incl other LR owners) but I have to say having used one off-road several times, then you just need to watch 'em in the deep ruts - otherwise they're surprisingly good :)

Couldn't agree more. Ours always amazes me although it never gets used in particularly challenging terrain. My wife would kill me  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:06:06 »
Hi, swmbo has a td4 auto & loves it, its nice to drive, can tow the caravan & good on fuel,

Not allowed to take it greenlaning or off road  :( , I would love to put a lift kit & larger tyres on it but she say's one kitted landrover is enough in our house  :(

If you are ever neer Brum give me a shout & you could have a test drive :wink:

hope this helps.
John.

Offline West-is-Best

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 00:55:56 »
Thanks for replies - Freelander looks good!
Scarlet 'till I die

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 09:23:43 »
On the other hand...  have you considered keeping the Santa Fe and spending a grand and a half on a Discovery?  Would be a shame to buy a new Freebie and then scratch it all up...  for the money you could get a fairly good Disco, quite feasibly with all the kit already bolted on to it, and it wouldn't matter less what you did with it.  I'm the first to praise Freelanders off road, but Discoveries are a step up for off-road use, and you'd still have the Hyundai for daily use.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline West-is-Best

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 10:38:54 »
I've thought of another (third) car but we already have our caravan, sedona and sante fe  taking up the cul-de-sac - a Disco on top would really upset the neighbours!
Scarlet 'till I die

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal