AuthorTopic: twin tanks and a lot of leakage  (Read 1083 times)

Offline landroverkeith

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
  • Referrals: 0
twin tanks and a lot of leakage
« on: December 24, 2006, 11:33:08 »
hiya all im hoping someone could help

my series 2a has twin tanks fitted under the seat however when i bought it the guy told me the 2nd passenger tank doesnt work as it has no fuel line too it....

my m8 was over and asked what the little lever does so i showed him but as the lever was over ive noticed that there was a awful lot of petrol pouring and i mean pouring out from under the car...

2 questions about it   :roll:

1. how easy would it be for a complete spanner monkey like me too fix it??

2. why was so much fuel coming out of a dry tank? ive never used it since ive owned the car it stops when i change switch direction and starts again when moved over ??
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 13:54:19 »
It sounds like whan you switched it over to the tank that you were either
A) getting runback out of the LH tank outlet that was switched to as there would be already petrol in the line going up to the lift pump and carb.
B) there is actually some fuel in the LH tank.

So take the lid off and have a look at the tank, is there a pipe actually running to pick up pipe? and is there anything in the tank or is it dry?

There is a cork seal inside the changeover tap and these can break down and so cause a leak. I think you can get a seal from a ships chandlers as some marine applications use a similar taps.
I belive the seal can be repalced but it is something that i haven't done as it was easier to get a working one of Ebay.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 16:17:27 »
If there is no fule line to it I suspect the fuel came out of the tap from the line to the carb.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:52:00 »
:oops:  hehe finally got around to looking at the 2nd tank and traced its fuel line right back to the switch.... so its not a case of missing/not connected fuel line.
ive opened the tank and checked inside theres a awful lot of sumthing in there  :?  i dont think its all petrol as the tank looks very corroded inside so ill drain that out at sumpoint.

The leakage does appear to be coming from the back of the fuel tap switch at a jubilee clip .... so im gona try the easyest option first and tighten the jubilee up and hope that works.
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal