AuthorTopic: 2 or 3 inch Arches  (Read 549 times)

Offline MudRat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2 or 3 inch Arches
« on: December 17, 2006, 13:00:06 »
Just won a pair on eblag, 103 quid rather than a buy it now of 160!! but i can have 2 or 3 inch width? i run 235/85 BF muds on modulars, which do not foul at the moment, but i want the look of bigger arches, also any panel beaters out there that can help me fit them?

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
2 or 3 inch Arches
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 14:10:05 »
The wider they are the more chance of a tree catching them and if you don't intend going wide on the tyres, changing the wheel offset or fitting wheel spacers then go for the 2 inch ones.
Tree damage!!

Fitting them to a 3 door is not hard, I did it on mine and I'm not panel beater!  :wink:
You'll need to remove the plastic inner wing from the front and watch the fuel filler tube at the rear but other than that there isn't really anything to worry about.
Ask if you get fitting instructions and the seal between the arch & body included with the arches as some cheaper ones don't come with them!!  

When I cut mine I used a jigsaw and clamped a piece of 1"x2" wood to the wing to stop it flapping around while it was cut. I would also use stainless self-tapping screws to secure them as mine came with normal mild steel screws which tend to rust!
You may have to do some sanding to get them to match the body correctly as well, mine were straight out of the mould but an electric sander did the trick. Also, if you need to drill the securing holes, be very careful not to crack the gel-coat.

Let us know if you need anything else to help fit them.  :wink:

Here's my rear arch after the cut!

....and the front.

Offline MudRat

Attack Member
t
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 16:25:13 »
Ouch, thanks for the advice, i was thinking of 2, did you fold yours over?

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
2 or 3 inch Arches
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 18:13:02 »
I would also go for the 2's, thats what i have, and even with those i'm about to fit bigger rubber to fill them, at the moment i have 235 85's, and they look skinny, so i'm getting 285 75 16's.... and 8 inch modulars with the extra inch on the outside rather than on the inside, i didn't roll the edge of where i cut my wings, but i did cut as much out as was possible, after-all, there's no point in having the arches and not loads of clearance eh!!
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
2 or 3 inch Arches
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 19:35:50 »
I didn't roll mine either, once the new arch is fitted there is enough strength there. All I did was paint the bare metal edge so it didn't start corroding. IIRC I left about an inch of metal to play with on mine and it's fine with a +3" lift and 33x12.5R15 tyres.  :wink:

You may have to move the rear mud flap mounting (where it joins the bottom of the rear wing), it's just a case of re-drilling a new hole slightly further back.  :wink:

Here's a link to the fitting instructions on Devon 4x4's site:
http://www.devon4x4.com/user/downloads/Discovery%203%20door%20flares.pdf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal