AuthorTopic: Maverick problems !  (Read 1059 times)

Offline gag

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Maverick problems !
« on: December 15, 2006, 03:10:19 »
Hi to All again from a new member  :D .  I need advice regarding problems that I am having with my Maverick, (2.7tdi lwb, 1996 model). On inspecting the vehicle after purchase, I found that each road wheel had a nut missing and I can only assume that the previous owner had locking wheel nuts fitted and removed them before he traded the vehicle in. I have bought a new set of locking nuts and they are of the stud type fitting. This means that in order to fit the new studs, I will have to remove one stud from each disc hub/brake drum. I need to know if the studs are screw-in type and how easy is this job to carry out. Should I exchange them for a different type ? your comments will be greatly appreciated. There is also a problem with the heating/cooling system on the vehicle. On driving away from cold, the needle on the temperature guage never moves from approx, 1/4" from the bottom of the guage. There is also very little heat coming into the vehicle from the heater no matter what position that the heater controls are in at the time. I am concerned about this and the only variation to this fault is when I took our caravan to the Lake District and noticed that the needle had risen to just under half way on the guage. I am wondering if this could be a problem with the thermostat ? your comments would be appreciated  :D .

Many Thanks.
GAG.
George.

Offline fudge

Attack Member
  • Green Oval Recovery... Chl 30 Shout Help Im Stuck!
Maverick problems !
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 19:10:33 »
Why Not Buy Locking Wheel Nuts For Your Car.... Then They'd Be Right And You Might Not Loose A Wheel On A Dual Carriage Way And Kill Someone If Not Yourself! But If You Do Decide To "Remove A Stud" Pease Video It And Post To You Tube With Link.....

Heater Sounds Like Thermostat... I'd Change The Coolant At The Same Time And Flush / Back Flush The System, Its Done Then!

Offline auto

Attack Member
Maverick problems !
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 19:33:49 »
Right heater first! Lack of heat is probably the heater matrix gone, do check that it has a thermostat present in case someone removed it though! Sitting 1/4 is fine, nissans do that if unsure it should run at 85-90 degrees.

The temp will rise when you are towing as the engine is under load and working harder, if its only halfway dont worry, if it frequently runs into the red then get it checked! Other than that chill! If you tow frequently or plan to take off road, fit a pacet or kenlow electric fan as an additional, and put it on a manual switch!

Locking wheel nuts.....If the studs are undamaged, then just get suitable locking nuts to fit! They cost 15 quid and the work replacing studs on every wheel makes it very cost effective.

If they are damaged, remove hub and knock out with block and large hammer, when replacing make sure splines are lined up to avoid damage. If you need more detail let me know!

Offline gag

Attack Member
Cheers !
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 00:16:14 »
Thanks for the replies Fudge and Auto.  On reflection, I would rather fit appropriate locking nuts rather than muck about removing studs. Couldnt quite get the drift of the reply from Fudge though ? How can removing a stud from a disc hub or brake drum and replacing it with a suitable replacement that accepts a locking device possibly cause a lost wheel on the move ?  I will check whether or not there is a thermostat installed when I change the coolant this weekend as the coolant looks as though its not been changed since the vehicle was new !  Thanks again.

GAG
George.

Offline gag

Attack Member
Good ending !
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 19:02:04 »
Hello to All.
Got sorted with the locking wheel nuts at last ! The local accessory shop had given me the wrong nuts by mistake. The nuts are now fitted and my wheels are safe (I Hope they are anyway !).
George.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal