AuthorTopic: Bobtail???  (Read 1832 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Bobtail???
« on: December 10, 2006, 17:45:08 »
Could anyone tell me if there is anyone who would be willing to bobtail my discovery for me and approx cost, because it would look so much better, and i dont really need the extra space. I know this is a fairly strange question but hope that someone could offer me some advice!
Thankyou
Sam.

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
Bobtail???
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 21:34:49 »
DIY!!
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 21:38:34 »
Easier said than done... i'm only 16 and have no real tools or workspace! How easy is it to do, because i have quite a few Land Rovery friends haha!
Thanks
Sam.

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 22:50:02 »
so? im 18. i learn whilst doing it. just ask for some measurements, then get drawing... then when you like it, get cutting....
TDi90

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 22:54:12 »
I would just get a nice thick marker draw a line on and get an axe and slice it up using a nice 4 1/2" grinder for the tricky bits. I'm only 16 and its realy not hard to do stuff once you put your mind to it, if someone else can do it y cant you? Although i could do it if you rely wanted?!?!
if you you can make it i can break it.

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 23:04:35 »
exactly. you could.
TDi90

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Bobtail???
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 23:23:01 »
All you need is a tape measure,a grinder & jigsaw,some 1 to weld the chassis & lots o bottle, :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Bobtail???
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 01:13:00 »
First off, where are you? you're not the only one guilty of this but if we don't know where you are, how the hell can we advise you?

Now, if you are anywhwere close I can muck in and help.  I'd do it for you if you are prepared to wait (and pay of course) but TBH paying someone to do the job will make the car WAY too expensive, such that a decent 90 would look cheap in comparison.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 16:27:39 »
Sorry, i'm new to using forums but i am from warwickshire so your very far away from me, thanks for the offer anways  :wink:
Now is it as simple as you all say, i have a friend who said he would be up for helping me, can anyone recommened me an angle grinder up for the job :) Anything else that i would need?
Sorry to keep asking questions and being a pain!!
Sam x

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 16:50:57 »
Hang on a sec, I'm all for having a go at things, but if the chap doesn't have an angle grinder yet, I think that bobtailing a Disco is probably not the right job to cut his teeth on.  There are plenty of things to mess up and quite a bit of welding to do.  I think this is a recipe for trashing a perfectly good Discovery.

How about practising on some other bits (like, does the rear floor pan need replacing, probably does) before diving in at the deep end?  Unless you don't mind risking trashing the truck, of course.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 17:38:25 »
Good point there sills or inner wings need doing?

on the subject of angle grinders buy the best you can afford as they dont seem to last too long(well not at my house anyway) we have an industrial hitachi one at the moment frome screwfix(about £50 i think) which has a faster spin speed than other models and seems to do well has stood up pretty good so far.

If you have msn fell free to add me and i wil be happy to discuss landys and such projects with you as i'm sure a few other members are; my addy is will.mawby@uwclub.net should anyone wish to add me.

Cheers, Will.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 17:44:25 »
Sounds to me like a huge job to take on as a first project. I am guessing it isnt as simple as angle grind it and oh lok how lovely it is. you will need to weld the back door area back on and with the step in the roof I dont think it will be that easy. You can take bits off but very hard to put them back on again!!!

One day I will learn to weld too but for now I do easy things like rock sliders, tyres, drive shafts, hand brakes etc. Even the snorkle I would have got wrong if it wasnt for a mate helping me.

Im 25 and have inherited loads of tools off my Dad. Some I may never use others I use all the time.

As we keep getting told in my voluntary group health and safety talk "dont guess but learn" Have you thought of an evening course in welding?
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 17:47:06 »
Quote from: "onzasam"
Sorry to keep asking questions and being a pain!!
Sam x

BTW

Dont be sorry about it. it's what forums are here for. The lengths mud clubbers have gone to help me is amazing for example me taking a photo of something and then emailing it to them then they reply with the photo and arrows and all the arrows are numbered so I can talk to them whilst looking at the photo and they are the other end of the country. MC is ultra friendly and most people will go that extra mile to help anyone. Just look at MC express as a great example.

So dont appologise and your not being a pain!!!!

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Bobtail???
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 18:20:04 »
Sam I'm in Rugby and whilst I'm happy to help with various bits and pieces... I'd pay attention to the advice here... cut your teeth on something smaller to gain experience and knowledge.

For instance, did you realise that as you'll have to cut the Chassis, you'll need to get the car SVA tested...? Big job and important to get right.

Kindest

Skibum

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 18:26:00 »
Ahhhh ok i dont think im going to bother with that now i love my disco to much for all that hassle, when the extra space may come in handy for my kayaking  :lol:  And the rear floor has just been replaced before i bought it, so cant really redo that! But im thinking of getting a two inch lift, i have heard they are not too hard to fit?? I've heard the spacers are better than springs+shocks? And does anyone know how to fix the ciggarette lighter we need it for the sat nav!
Thankyou all your a great help :)
Sam

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 18:31:30 »
Sam,

I'm a great believer in doing things right... so I'd go down the route of lifted springs rather than spacers. No theory to support that but I'm sure someone will have an opinion.

Ciggy lighter shouldn't be too difficult. Take it abpart and check your getting 12v on one connection and earth on the other. If 12v only... instal a new earth. If earth is ok, trace back the 12v line and look for damage or a blown fuse... or... just install another 12v line to it.

Do you know how to use a multimeter...? This will make the process easier.

Where in Warwickshire are you...? Most folks put their location on their profile so we can offer assistance more easily.

Kindest

Skibum

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 18:36:49 »
i prefer lifted springs to spacers but getting in to lifts opens up a whole can of worms if you want to get it right, pesonally if your only doing it for more travel y not just fit longer shocks with your standard springs?

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 18:43:23 »
Quote from: "Muddy"
i prefer lifted springs to spacers but getting in to lifts opens up a whole can of worms if you want to get it right, pesonally if your only doing it for more travel y not just fit longer shocks with your standard springs?

Not really a can of worms...

Lifted Springs
Longer/relocated shocks
Longer flexible brake lines (Don't skimp here!)

Done...

For purists..

3 degree cranked hoskey sticks (maintains steering geometry)
Cranked trailing arms (Takes pressure of bushes)

The last two items can be done over time as long as the vehicle is driven to it's new dsign limits rather than the old limits!

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 20:14:54 »
Heyy
Well i'm near stratford upon avon only a few miles from tyhat off road course at aston cantlow. I took the fag lighter apart, and on the same wire as this, there has been a fuel pump switch put in so i can control that when its on gas. Would this be the cause of the problem? If so can i do anything about it? Yehh i've used a multimeter before but havent purchased one yet.
Thanks
Sam

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Bobtail???
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 20:22:39 »
Quote from: "Skibum346"
Sam I'm in Rugby and whilst I'm happy to help with various bits and pieces... I'd pay attention to the advice here... cut your teeth on something smaller to gain experience and knowledge.

For instance, did you realise that as you'll have to cut the Chassis, you'll need to get the car SVA tested...? Big job and important to get right.

Kindest

Skibum

you only need to get it SVA'ed if u chop the centre of the chassis,no ht ends :wink:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Bobtail???
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 20:41:37 »
i was offroading at a play day yesterday and some of the bobtail rangies defied belief :shock:  literally take a grinder line up behind back doors and chop then go offroading :shock:  they looked like death traps
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 20:48:24 »
Quote from: "Redlinemike"
Quote from: "Skibum346"

Kindest

Skibum

you only need to get it SVA'ed if u chop the centre of the chassis,no ht ends :wink:

Ah....

There you go... stand correced.... again!   :lol:

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 20:50:59 »
Quote from: "beast5680"
i was offroading at a play day yesterday and some of the bobtail rangies defied belief :shock:  literally take a grinder line up behind back doors and chop then go offroading :shock:  they looked like death traps

Some of the guys that use them JUST for pay and play days really do a crap job.

A friend of mine did a bobtail for another friend and hemade a fab job of it.

Took the rear body corner panels off... cut the body back... created a neat li'l truck cab by fitting the C pillars behind the front doors then put the rear corners back on. very nice li'l version of a bobtail.

I'll try and find a piccie...

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 16:59:36 »
Not really a can of worms...

Lifted Springs
Longer/relocated shocks
Longer flexible brake lines (Don't skimp here!)

Done...

For purists..

3 degree cranked hoskey sticks (maintains steering geometry)
Cranked trailing arms (Takes pressure of bushes)

The last two items can be done over time as long as the vehicle is driven to it's new dsign limits rather than the old limits!

Not quite though you need to decide what you using the disco for and how much weight you want it to perform best with so that you can attain springs of the correct rating. A lot of theses 2" lift kits just use heavier duty or longer springs which is all well and good untill you come to a bit of a cross axle and end up with wheels spiining aimlessly in the air because the springs are so stiff your motor cant twist with the bumps, this why i said if its more travel fitting longer shocks with raised towers/mounts and longer brake lines will mean you get buckets more travel and maintain good handleing and articulation, no one can provide an off the shelf lift for your disco that will do exactly what you want it to.

Ta, Will.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 17:54:21 »
I just bought police spec springs all round and standard shocks all round and the whole lot cost me £80.

I looked into 1-2" lift shocks for extra travel but they were alot more money and my wallet doesnt hold that kind of money at the moment. £9.10 per standard shock. Would you say no to these???????? mm4x4 if anyone wants to look.

Offline Tyke

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 13:20:57 »
you need to decide what you using the disco for and how much weight you want it to perform best with so that you can attain springs of the correct rating

Took me three lots of spring/shock combinations before I was happy with mine . . . . . . works very well now though and only on 40mm rear and 30mm front. All down to the rating and the long shocks. Got a lot of scarp iron on the truck so took a bit of working out . . . . enjoyed all the trial and error though  :twisted:

----------------------------------

KEEPING IT REAL - KEEPING IT BRITISH

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 19:46:18 »
Quote from: "Tyke"
[ only on 40mm rear and 30mm front.

Huh, you what??????

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 20:14:24 »
I believe he is refering to the added height of his new springs.

Offline Tyke

Attack Member
Bobtail???
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 17:08:49 »
I was . . . . took the 2" off and fitted those and it sits much nicer . . . . moves well too but the rear springs pop out . . . . must fit me some cones over christmas if I find the time.
----------------------------------

KEEPING IT REAL - KEEPING IT BRITISH

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal