AuthorTopic: Dashboard switch panel  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Benji

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Dashboard switch panel
« on: October 13, 2004, 21:51:23 »
I received the switch today for the spotlights im fitting to the rear of my disco. I ordered the front fog switch that goes in the twin panel just under the clock (standard on ES models for cruise and front fogs) as i wanted a proper switch, not a takky rocker!

Anyway, i put the switch into the panel, pushed the panel back into place and as it nearly got home the switch hit something behind it and pushed itself out so it doesn't fit flush. Looks as if the plastic moulding  behind the plate sticks out abit to far.

Can anyone offer an explaination???  Do i have to change the whole unit? Is the mounting that the blanking covers fit into purely there to hold to plates and not to take a switch?

Also the switch has 6 pins at the back, obviously to fit into the fog light loom, but i don't have a clue which pins to use. I was hoping it would just have 2 pins!!
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
Ifor Williams box trailer (my office),
Yellow labrador with permanant 4 paw drive!
www.messypups.com

ChrisW

Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 22:05:29 »
Have you took the panel out to have a look at what its hitting?
There is a plug that connects to the back of the switch for the front foglight wiring loom on models without front foglights.

Just been having a root about in my archives - used to have the list of pin-outs for that switch but can't find it anywhere now!  :roll:
From memory you have live-in, switched output, dashlight feed, negative and another one but can't remember!!

If I come across it will let you know

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 22:17:23 »
If it's anything like the Rangie then each switch has a pre-determined location with a plastic pin fitted in to the otherwise common body to make sure you use the correct location, wiring plug and switch combination.  Simply remove the pin from the side of the switch body.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 22:21:01 »
The 200 series is definately like that. I wanted to group the switches differently and failed miserably as they wouldn't locate properly.

Why change the habit of a lifetime :)

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 08:37:19 »
Seem to recall that Father had similar issues, the switches are indeed keyed to fit into a particular hole on the binacle on the 300..

You could try asking thrasher, he's a bit of a spotter... I mean, erm.. he's got lots of other switches in Piglet.  ISTR he has around 3 foglight switches for spots and golly knows what.
--

Offline GaryP

Attack Member
Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 12:38:30 »
top tip for anybody wanting to fit switches for extra lights etc.
The switches fitted to early 90's metros fit perfectly in 300 discos as the switch body is exactly the same. They fit the switch panel at the bottom of the dash and the binnacle holes.
They don't look like a cheapo rocker switch, if you didn't know you would think they are a factory fitting.
They are about £3 from scrap yards and you can cut the old plug with part of the loom out of the old vehicle. They are easy to fit, they have one earth, a live for the switch, live for the "on" light, and live for the night illumination.
'02 Discovery ES V8
on LPG

Offline Benji

Attack Member
Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 22:28:02 »
All sorted now.  I simply shaved off the 'key' that prevented the switch going into the wrong position and moved it over one hole so there wasn't an obstruction behind it.  

Just got to try and work out which pins to use now! :?
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
www.messypups.com

Offline Benji

Attack Member
Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 18:32:11 »
Ive gotta tell the whole world....

ive actually wired up the lights and they work.  Im so chuffed!!! :D

Took bloody ages and i thought the car would go bang as i touched the cable to the battery, but it was fine. The switch light even comes on when the lights are on!

And the best thing now is that when ive got some prat in his Saxo up my arse i can give him a quick flash......that should shock him (and prob make him veer off into the oncoming traffic)  Oops!

Thanks for all your advice guys.
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
www.messypups.com

Mark_Sims

Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 22:08:37 »
Did the same myself, and shaved one of the keys off. Picked up a new switch block that takes 3 switches from the scrappy last week, came with two switches in it. Luckily for me he included it in the price of the rear door speakers block I bought  :D

One of the switches has a motorway like drawing on it, what is that for? (furthest to right of the three)

Mark

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 22:44:41 »
Quote from: "Mark_Sims"

One of the switches has a motorway like drawing on it, what is that for? (furthest to right of the three)

Mark

Cruise Control master switch???
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Dashboard switch panel
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 18:47:12 »
I'd agree with that, seen one for the first time on a RRC on Friday and that had cruise control, I know what all the other switches did so by elimination.....
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal