AuthorTopic: Ebay - Do people actually think?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Ebay - Do people actually think?
« on: November 29, 2006, 16:20:20 »
Currently my series 3 is for sale on Ebay, but what gets me is it has a high buy it now price, and a reserve which people know is a minimum of £50 as thats the lowest you can be, so why does someone bid £10 on something and expect to win it?  If they dont expect to win it then why bid on it as well???  How does the mind work with these kind of things lol

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 21:58:11 »
Yep, I have had a simular thing, I guess people just like bidding, its a kinda retail theorpy... with out spending money.  :shock:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 22:07:07 »
i take it u guys aint seen the ebay song then  :wink:
danny
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline winchman

Attack Member
Gluten free bread
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 22:13:18 »
Just bought winchwoman a bread maker but need a recipe for wheat free bread?
Any other Gluten free foke out there with tips and advise, as its doing her head in as all the stuff she likes she cant have
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 23:08:20 »
bloke in work is a gluten bloke thing

he can eat mars bars but not fun size cos fun size has gluten in it but not normal ones!

i can ask him bout the bread think if you want

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 23:41:35 »
I was the only person to bid on a £50-value item the other day and got it for 99p as there was no reserve.  I bid much higher than that as it happens, but there are evidently people out there who bid 99p on everything in case they happen to get it.  Maybe not everybody knows about the £50 minimum reserve.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 00:26:50 »
I dont think the majority of ebay users think.

I've ust put my first lot of items on there (though ive been buying stuff for years ive never sold anything till now). One of which is a spring/shock set for a rover car.
I have put in the auction description that it was bought for a car which was sold before it got fitted and have given the kits exact make and model number along with a list of what cars+years it will fit gathered from other online shops selling the same thing. I am clearly a private seller not a shop.

After 24 hours i have had multiple questions, which were

2x"will it fit my car model ...?" - where the model number/year is not included in the list of cars i put in the description that it will fit.
"will you accept £n?" - its an auction and ill accept what it finishes at!
"why is it so cheap?" - because nobody has bid on it yet!

Should i expect more along similar lines?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:36:57 »
I tried twice to get rid of a 1969 Capri GTXLR with no success.  I've had a string of offers, the best being just avoer half my buy it now and the worst being fifty quid :roll:

The back axle alone is worth 3 times that, so if it doesn't sell I'll be at it with the electric gas axe AKA LR special tool No.2
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline winchman

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 05:11:55 »
Sorry posted my gluten thing in the wrong place.must be going mad
Strapping young lad if you could it would be good
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 08:02:22 »
tomarse those are quite tame lol, expect worse, and expect someone to buy them for his vehicle, not read the description and it be the wrong kit for his vehicle, then expect neg feedback and him bad mouthing you, then if it doesnt go like that you will be pleasantly suprised lol

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 09:25:10 »
i recently tried to sell a peter kay t-shirt, i had two on ebay at the same time
one was grey one was black.

anyway the buyer bought the grey one, opened the package and kicked off big style saying the colour isnt same as the description and demanded a full refund or he would take things further!

i was checking what the guy was accusing me of and it didnt seem to hold water he was adamant that it was advertised as black but he bought the grey one.

in the end i relented and refunded him, got the shirt back and sold it elsewhere.

anyway i found the guys feedback and hes been at it before...

he had sold a pair of kid's jeans for 1.50 with a buy now of a tenner i think, then the buyer bought it off him but he wouldnt send it until the buyer sent him more cash cos it was worth more than 1.50  :shock:

the bloody cheek! anyway it was settled cos the guy who sold hadnt a leg to stand on.. you cant ask for more money after selling it!  my god  :evil:

Offline Lostboy

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 10:43:22 »
Ebay's a strange strange place...

I buy a lot of stuff there - coz it's a lot easier than traipsing round the shops at the weekend. In over 300 buys I've only had 3 go wrong, and only lost a very small amount of money, but I've only had marginal success selling stuff. Put a CD on, and specified Paypal only because the value it would go for just wasn't worth the hassle of accepting cheques - and yes, the guy who won it didn't have a paypal account.

Then there is the people who pay too much - I was wanting a NATO hitch, and watched them selling on ebay for £80, Paddocks only wanted £50...
You can have my iPod only when you prise it out of my cold dead hands...

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 10:53:11 »
Well i do postage for a mate of mine who sells alot of music on Ebay and doesnt have time to do the postage himself.  He states quite clearly in his auctions that postage will be within 28 days of recieving cleared payment due to him not actually being in the country for some of the month.

Its amazing how many people after just a few days of paying are asking where their cd is, thankfully he wont let me deal with them or the swearwords used about eyesight would be rather alarming!

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 12:32:03 »
I bought a camera with no bids at the last minute for £3 and I had trouble with the seller as she would not sell for the price - it was worth more. She should have had a reserve price if she wanted a minimum for it.

ps she did send it before the week was out :wink:
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 12:57:30 »
Quote from: "Manicminer"
I bought a camera with no bids at the last minute for £3 and I had trouble with the seller as she would not sell for the price - it was worth more. She should have had a reserve price if she wanted a minimum for it.

But that's an eBay fault as you can't put a reserve on for less than £50

I don't like their new idea of hiding bidders name for over £100 sales how do you tell now when a seller is building his auction price up?

Click the pic get my NEW site

1988 2.5td manual Shogun SWB

marjan

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 16:25:40 »
Quote from: "Manicminer"

I had the same problem when I bought my Vitara, the guy put a start price of £800 with no reserve and that's what I got it for as I was the only bidder. He tried to back out of the deal but I told him I would take legal action as the auction was legally binding.

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 16:35:23 »
Quote from: "Lostboy"
Then there is the people who pay too much - I was wanting a NATO hitch, and watched them selling on ebay for £80, Paddocks only wanted £50...

At a time when NATO hitches were going for £30+ for a cruddy one, I found a VGC one attached to a LDV bumper on eBay.  I paid £15 and asked them to remove the bumper before they sent it and throw the bumper away.  It surprised me that all the people bidding on the £30 ones hadn't thought of this.

I've seen several things going for £100+ more than the shop price though.  Serves the buyer right if you ask me.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 16:36:33 »
Quote from: "Mudlark"
But that's an eBay fault as you can't put a reserve on for less than £50

That doesn't apply outside Motors, as far as I know.
David French
Tree-hugging communist

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 16:46:23 »
it applies on the whole ebay site, as i use it for phones and playstations and stuff i sell lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal