AuthorTopic: DANGER???Fuel filter light on & zero temp gauge  (Read 841 times)

Offline africa-eko

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
DANGER???Fuel filter light on & zero temp gauge
« on: November 24, 2006, 18:53:35 »
Hi ,

Does anyone know if something that is coming up on my discovery is dangerous?

On startup, I am getting the fuel filter gauge to light up and three beeps to sound. When I go on cruising speed or better, when I try to accelerate on cruising speed, I get a non-responsive accelerator i.e. no acceleration and after I try puttign my foot down a couple of times to disengage possible cruise control (which I hav e not managed to find out about yet) the temperature gauge drops to zero and the red light comes up.

IS THIS DANGEROUS AND SHOULD I NOT DRIVE BEFORE THIS IS RESOLVED? I am planning a 500mile round trip tomorrow and I do not want to risk any seriou mishap...

I am not savvy on the mechanics of the landy so any help would be appreciated (so long as it is not too technical)....

I ll  be waiting for all of you wise guys to come in with the solution.!

Thanks
Evina

PS the landy was LR serviced last June, more than 5k ago.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 19:04:21 »
What model is it? what year etc.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline africa-eko

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 19:07:01 »
2002 registered. Discovery diesel - apparently only diesels have this fuel filter light. She has done 95k miles.
By the way, the fuel filter light only comes up at start up not afterwards. I just made the connection to the non responsive acceleration when I step on it while I am at cruising speed.

Hope this helps.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 19:17:56 »
It sounds like it's bloked a bit then, the ECU may be in a limp mode.  Biut too new a car for most of us though :?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 19:20:11 »
I might be wrong because my memory is a bit hazy... but isn't the sensor in the fuel filter there to detect the presence of water ?

If so, then don't drive anywhere until it is sorted !!!   The poor response might be related too...  if you have water in your fuel, then you are asking for all sorts of pain by driving it.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline africa-eko

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 19:34:00 »
Hi guys,
Thanks for all this. I found out from the manual that the fuel filter is OK as in, when at startup it lights, it is just for a test. You are right with the water comment.
I was more alarmed with the temperature gauge though, as the manual says that once it goes too hot I should Urgently stop. The dfference is, when I drive and all is well,  the temp is normal and then, suddenly, it drops off to no indication and the temp gauge light goes red.

When I switch the engine off and then back on, the temp is fine. It does not gradually increase and does not increase to top temperature either.

Any idea ?

Offline africa-eko

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 19:35:55 »
>>>ECU may be in a limp mode.....

What does this mean :?  Is this dangerous and do you know if this is fixed on the spot by any garage or if I have to go to a LR service station???

Offline spy

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 22:02:29 »
My ppor understanding is that it is what it says on the tin, a way to get you home.   Often faulty auto boxes go ito limp home and its like driving in 3rd gear, no changes and poor response.  

I would imagine that it probably wants either a decent auto electrician or a garage with some diagnostic equipment.  

Maybe I am wrong, in which case I am sure someone will correct me soon!  

Cheers,

Mike
110 2.5 Petrol LPG powered
Discovery 300tdi - Sold to Sooty
Discovery 200tdi  - SPY - SOLD
Series 3 - XUXY - SOLD :(

www.landyworld.co.uk

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 23:20:16 »
3 beeps/bongs/chimes at startup is the ABS self-test, nothing to worry about (normally !), it seems to be a random test, as both my Td5's have sometimes done the beeps, sometimes not.

Fuel filter warning light - as has already been mentioned, it's probably water in the diesel, or the sensor could be knackered. The light should come on at startup, and then go off - if it comes on whilst driving, then the filter need draining, an easy 5 min job.

Poor response - if it's an auto, then hey, that's life, they all do that !!!, but the temperature gauge hitting the floor.....bizzarre, must be an electrical problem (or a knacked thermostat ?) - best get it checked, I wouldn't fancy doing 500 miles in a Td5 with a suspect cooling system  :shock:

Jim
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 01:35:50 »
And if the coolant sensor is an input to the engine ECU (or is often the case an output from it) then it may indicate a problem.

Best way to sort is a local independant with access to Rovacom or the like.  You can have your own copy for about £700 including the software codes for a couple of modules, just add laptop.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal