AuthorTopic: cooling system on a jimny - Problems  (Read 8192 times)

Offline Grinch

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
cooling system on a jimny - Problems
« on: November 24, 2006, 13:36:53 »
Ok. it all started with the missus complaining that the heaters in her 2001 Jimny S/T werent that good. I checked them against mine and the heat from them is weak.

I flushed the heater core with a hose and it didnt appear blocked. what i have found tho is that the radiator is not getting hot and bottom hose is cold too. the top hose heats, but not as hot as it should.

If i squeeze the top hose the water level in the rad changes. if i squeeze the bottom hose the water level in the rad changes. if i squeeze either heater hose the water level changes, som in not suspecting a blockage in any hose or in the radiator or block.

We have had it in to the garage to get the thermostat changed (i just know those bolks would sheer i i touched them) and were tols that the wrong thermostat had been fitted and the seal was in backwards, but the rad still doesnt heat up.

Any ideas as the garage is now talking about replacing the rad, but im not convinced thats the solution.

Cheers

Matt
My universe is 24 hours long and 10 feet wide.  If it happens outside of those parameters, I probably dont know about it.

ben_haynes

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 13:56:02 »
Try bleeding the system it might just be an air lock,

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 14:27:36 »
Try bleeding as Ben says, if not backflush the lot, rad, block and heater matrix. Then take out the thermostat and check it. Make sure its closed when you pull it out, then dunk it in boiling water (use string to suspend it) should see it open.

Alternative is a blocked rad or worse obstruction in the block.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Grinch

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 15:19:29 »
cheers fellows :)

Matt
My universe is 24 hours long and 10 feet wide.  If it happens outside of those parameters, I probably dont know about it.

Offline Grinch

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 15:40:03 »
Well took the day off work yesterday to have a look at this.  The Stat is fine and working as it should.  Ive flushed the heater matrix, the block, the rad and any tube i can get my hands on.  All flowed through without a problem.    the rad is now getting warm, but not hot, and the stat is opening and allowing flow through the rad, so the cooling system seems to be working as it should.  the gauge doenst go above 1/2 way.

But the heaters are still weak >:(   Ive checked the selector on the air box, and it is moving through all of its range and you can hear it blocking and unblocking the passages inside.  The heater hoses are both hot to the touch once the engine has warmed up.  oh and the amount of air flow through the vents doesnt change when flipped between hot and cold.

Totally stumped now.  

Any Ideas anyone??

Matt

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 16:29:52 »
Give in and see a main stealer?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 18:40:04 »
have you run it to temp with the rad cap off on tick over on thr drive.
you should be able to reach temp with cap of that usually clears any air locks.

you might get some water pump out but not much but you shoul dbe able to tick over with no cap on and fan come on etc and not boil over
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline Grinch

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 13:28:54 »
Cheers Markyb

Ive let it run up to temp on idle and with the rad cap off and you can see the flow in to the radiator (which gets warm to the touch, but not at all hot)

Im wondering about the viscous fan clutch now as its a continuous duty fan.  Saying that, my jimny rad doesnt get that hot either but the heaters are enough to cook a frozen chicken :D

i shall continue to ponder, im fitting a proper Suzuki Stat in to it at the weekend, just to say ive done that.  its a waste if 17 quid, but it means if i have to drop it in somewhere i can forstall all the usual checks etc.

Matt

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 07:44:18 »
water issues can be a right pain in the rear end ,

is your heater hoses hot?

might be worth putting the hose on them to make sure your matrix isnt blocked
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline Grinch

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 08:55:13 »
Thats the first thing i did (stupid pinch clips, who ever thought of them, bl00dy things, some designer was having a laugh mutter mutter mutter  :lol:   )

Ive put the hose to the heater in both directions, made sure it can flush up in to the thermostat housing where it gets water from and back down in to the block. Both the hoses get as hot as the radiator top hose.  An they are as hot as the ones on my jimny, but still no heat from the heaters.

i have a feeling its either a blockage in the centre of the heater core, or its a flap somewhere thats not closing properly in the air system

either wat, my last resort is a bottle of heavy duty flush, and then the dash has to come out :(

Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal