AuthorTopic: Series 2 vs Series 3 vs lightweight  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Cal

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Series 2 vs Series 3 vs lightweight
« on: November 23, 2006, 14:19:23 »
Potentially a big can of worms, but what are the pros and cons of the above to pick one as a cheap off roader and weekend run around.

I'm not much of a mechanic but would like to learn and am basically thinking along the lines of fitting parabolics, a wee bit of under body armour, buckets seats, MTs and just enjoying it as much as possible. Say a max spend of £1.5k.

Cheers  8)

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 15:00:12 »
Late Series 2A and Series 3 vehicles are very similar to the extent that unless you're an expert on the differences you wouldn't know the difference between them!  :wink: Both vehicles are just as capable as each other (because they share a lot of the parts or have very similar parts anyway), and it all comes down to condition and price.

For £1,500 you should get a fairly tidy Series with a good amount of life left in it.  For a very tidy one (like mine) you would be looking more towards £2,500-3,000.

Could I just suggest that you try using the Series without underbody protection and parabolics?  They will do pretty much what you want to do, and largely will only get damaged if you do something wrong such as attacking a climb with lots of big rocks in the middle that will bash away at the axles...

Lightweights are best left alone, because the good ones fetch money by the Lightweight enthusiasts in my opinion.

Offline Cal

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 15:38:14 »
Thanks for the reply Rich.

I'm also umming and erring between an old 90 as well, but would quite like a "proper" old land rover.

Could I just suggest that you try using the Series without underbody protection and parabolics?

I'm guessing that's from a purists point of view to keep them as standard as possible? Part of the reasoning behind my question was see people's opinions about modifying a Series - I know that obviously Series 1s and  2s and lightweights are getting less common (well, relatively anyway) and I therefore would be v hesitant to do anything to them, but my thinking on parabolics was to make it that bit more capable, but not change it to the point of being irreversible.

I'm almost thinking if I do go down the modifying route to go for a tatty but sound Series 3 and then in theory I wouldn't be wrecking a nice bit of history...

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 15:43:59 »
The reason why I was asking for you to try it without any significant if any changes, is to see what they can do without spending unneccasery amounts of money on them. ;)  After all, you want to spend as least required as you can don't you?

Parabolics can increase articulation to an extent, but they're more to do with ride improvements than articulation.  To most, parabolics look superb in comparison to leafs but that's because the parabolics were only up against old worn and rusted solid leaf springs!  :?

Give it a try, and just improve on what you find necassery to improve/modify.  That way you hopefully won't spend a lot of cash without need. :)

Offline Cal

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 15:57:32 »
The reason why I was asking for you to try it without any significant if any changes, is to see what they can do without spending unneccasery amounts of money on them

Good one - didn't think of that!  :lol:

Thanks for the advice

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 16:51:26 »
I'm not a purist and haven't the money to trick daisy up, but she will outdo most things if driven by someone who knows what they are doing---in other words not me! :twisted:

A series 2/2a might come in the tax free bracket, lightweights cost loads for a nice one -but they are nice. Proper tonka toys. But seriously At's and a keen eye and gentle right foot will get you dam near anywear in a normal landy whether series or a coiled springy thingy.
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 20:29:12 »
Quote from: "Robbo"
A series 2/2a might come in the tax free bracket

Nope, they won't.  They will be tax exempt.  :wink: Series 2A production ended before 1973, so they are all tax exempt.

Offline Cal

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 21:58:16 »
That might also be a consideration - would be nice to not have to worry about tax.

Out of interest - how much does a IIa or III SWB weigh - just wondering if I can tow one behind my car - have got a garage to keep it in so might be able to keep it SORNd...

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 22:15:18 »
You won't be able to tow it with a normal car, that I can garrantee.  Not legally at least.  A 88-inch weighs in somewhere around 1.6-1.7 tons I think.

Offline Cal

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 08:05:51 »
Cheers Rich - you're right, my car can only tow 1.5 on a braked trailer...

I'd better get good at getting old landies through their MOT then, or find a lightweight maybe.

Sod's Law I've seen a few nice Series 3s for sale around the kind of price range I will be looking at, but I wont be able to get one until next year.

Hopefully plenty more out there!

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 13:42:05 »
Dont worry about a Lightweight being any lighter than a standard s2a or 3, they are only really lighter if you strip them down for air dropping, they weight about the same the other 88's

As already said, money wise, an 88 would be the better option
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Cal

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 13:52:02 »
There's a SII with a V8 in the for sale section I've got my beady eye on - cheers for all the advice so far!

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 14:13:22 »
Quote from: "Rich_P"
Quote from: "Robbo"
A series 2/2a might come in the tax free bracket

Nope, they won't.  They will be tax exempt.  :wink: Series 2A production ended before 1973, so they are all tax exempt.

......original's will be, but check the car carefully for mods as they are often not what it says on the tin!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 22:34:29 »
Well if they're not original enough to have tax exemption, they are no longer a Series 2/2A now are they?  :wink:

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 18:24:41 »
firstly good on ya getting a landy!- you won't turn back!
lightweights do kick arse but you get more for your money with a regular series 2/3.
Find 1 with a good chassis, engine and gearbox, if body is beat up and looks tatty u can get a good price and easily do it up!
Good luck hunting!
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 18:28:15 »
Your budget will also get you into early Disco and RRC territory, much more comfortable and usually more powerful, these vehicles are also highly capable off-road.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 19:12:10 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Your budget will also get you into early Disco and RRC territory, much more comfortable and usually more powerful, these vehicles are also highly capable off-road.

But lack the character.  :P

Offline Cal

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 08:15:00 »
Your budget will also get you into early Disco and RRC territory, much more comfortable and usually more powerful, these vehicles are also highly capable off-road

Very true RRB - I've just sold my Disco tho - ideally I'm after something that will fit in the garage when not in use - no chance of getting a Disco in ours - or else I would have kept the one I sold  :(

Was looking at COlin's S3 in the For Sale section - but as usual was too late - also looking at Keith's S2 with a V8 in  8)

Thanks for all the advice guys

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal