AuthorTopic: BAD VIBRATIONS  (Read 1656 times)

Offline rcliffe

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
BAD VIBRATIONS
« on: November 22, 2006, 13:58:51 »
off roading the other day and went over a upturned w shape mound and in doing so knocked the viscous unit to bits (since replaced) also bumped the front end cracking the bumper a bit , nothing serious and wasn`t going much faster than a crawl just fast enough to knock the a bar off as well, since taken that off till the vibes are fixed. the vibes start at about 20 mph and after 50mph the car smooths out when cruising and is only when under load. we have replaced sinse bump, the shocks and springs, vis/unit, both bits of the prop along with the 2 support bearings, the ird box front o/s drive shaft one track rod end and increased the lift to around 2" swopped the wheels front to rear and balanced them plus tracked up. there is also a bad vibe on full r/h lock in first on tick over speed, could it be engine mounts,some one said engine mounts can break? were running out of ideas? also changed the diff but when prop removed again there is no difference so it has to be front end, car was quite smooth before all this even with inch and half lift kit :(  please help
click`s the name, lanin`s the game!
there`s folk that surf and there`s folk that just wax there boards!
MUD CLUB
M.A.D. FREELANDERS

Offline pondy653

Attack Member
    • Norwich
BAD VIBRATIONS
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:26:16 »
Have you checked the rear diff mounting and the rear sub frame to shell mounting points for cracking as these are prone areas when freebys are used off road due to flexing.
98 Defender 110 CSW Tdi
Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport DSG
Yamaha WR450F (for treading really lightly)
4x4 Response (Norfolk&Suffolk) Member since 1999

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
BAD VIBRATIONS
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 13:18:57 »
Might be worth checking the rear diff mounting as you say, Mrs R's Td4 (only 4 yrs old) needed one this time round and it only gets a little off road usage.

But the vibration 20-50mph suggests that something is resonating quite badly - get it up in the air and have someone to have a ruddy good look around it
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline rcliffe

Attack Member
BAD VIBRATIONS
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 21:55:57 »
thanks for replys but have changed the front diff mount and welded the captive nut on the one side (o/s) which stopped the cracking noise i was getting on shunting about. had local land rover garage take a short look on the ramp yesterday but to no avail, nothing obvious they said. tried it with the prop off anyway, no better. this is 98 l series and was realy no vibes to speak of before the knock?
MUD CLUB
M.A.D. FREELANDERS

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
BAD VIBRATIONS
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 19:54:25 »
Robert...It seems to have come after bump ...could it just be a coincidence and be misfire ie just runing on 3 cyl or similar???

Do you have lack of power at all??? (car not you personally :oops: )

This would be more likely to cause vibes as described as anything to do with running gear would be present all the time or more obvious at speed

Hope that helps.
FREELANDER V6 LPG...GO GAS

http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk/

Offline rcliffe

Attack Member
BAD VIBRATIONS
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 21:54:59 »
not sure on the power thing, it is smooth till about 20 and after 45/50 it smooths out again, no pwer loss, still cruises at 70 ok, i had thought of this as i have one of those power boxs from rover ron that alters the fuel pump. got some one looking over this for me and i`ll tell him, he`s doing the timing belts and the difficult heater plug for me at the moment. its doin my head in, not great to drive at the moment? had a go in les`s and at 30 he has a small vibe he says its down to the lift kit but its hardly noticable compared to mine. might break it for spares soon (and then get anew one?) :?
MUD CLUB
M.A.D. FREELANDERS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal