AuthorTopic: series 3 rebuild  (Read 859 times)

Offline MattW

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
series 3 rebuild
« on: November 21, 2006, 16:17:09 »
Hi y'all

I just got some great advice in another thread on fixing the bulkhead on my series3 2.25Diesel project. Unfortunately this is just the start of a few things I need to do to her and I wonder if your experience may save me a few hours of scratching my head and shearing unnecessary bolts.

* the clutch has stopped working, I managed to free it once by way of starting it in gear and violently stomping on the brake and clutch. Now it's seriously stuck & I'm not sure wether it would be the master cylinder or the clutch it-self that's stuck now :?

*It's burning oil

* one of the leafsprings came through the chassis during an offroad session last year. - Think I'm going to have to buy a replacement rear 1/4 chassis.

hope it's all worth it
Matt
= :) =

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
series 3 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 16:25:46 »
can you put the clutch pedal down at all?
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline MattW

Attack Member
series 3 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 16:42:52 »
yeah the clutch pedal depresses with very little resistance but it doesn't disengage the clutch. It is possible to change gear so long as the engine isn't running.

Matt

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
series 3 rebuild
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 16:51:10 »
then the problem is with the clutch plate being seized to the flywheel.
there are several ways of free that off

the easiest is the way you've already done it once.
the way i'd do it, get the landy moving, by starting it in gear. Hold the clutch pedal down, and floor it. once you got a little bit of speed up, lift off totally, then floor it again, then lift off again. that should free it off.
another way to do it needs 3 feet. get the motor moving again and spam all 3 pedals.

if neither of those work, its either engine or gearbox out

Ian
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline MattW

Attack Member
series 3 rebuild
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 17:27:35 »
great stuff - thanks ian

I think I'm going to get the gearbox apart as I unstuck it before and it ceased  up again within days.

Matt

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
series 3 rebuild
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 17:40:30 »
If the clutch pedal can be depressed with very little effort, then the first thing to check is that the cylinders are working...

Do you have fluid in the clutch master ?
Are there any signs of leaks around the pedal, or down at the bottom of the bell-housing ?

The action of free-ing it up last time might have caused a seal to fail elsewhere in the system.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MattW

Attack Member
series 3 rebuild
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 16:05:03 »
M-web the master is full and no signs of leaks... thanks for the tips guys.

It's all coming apart in the next few days.

I need to take the floor out to get to the clutch & I need to fix the bulkhead so I might as well kill a few bird with one stone... take the doors and the wings off and do it all at the same time. I'm currently filling the holes in the doors. Once I've got it moving I'll have to take the cab and the tub off to replace the rear 1/4 chassis and also the engine needs to come out to sort the oil burning.

2 Questions:
1)do I need to use acid primer on the aluminium?
2)is it possible to get series "Haynes" manuals on CD? (I've got the workshop manual but it's a bit pants.)

Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal