AuthorTopic: Wiring advice  (Read 714 times)

Offline Horness

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wiring advice
« on: November 20, 2006, 15:23:53 »
Most of the aux wiring on my Disco has been done by torchlight, on cold wet nights, using whatever bits I could lay my hands on, or extract from other components to suit my needs.
Now, while looking at it prior to removing my spots to fit my Devon winch bumper one thing springs to mind.  I need to rethink my aux wiring.

I could really do with a couple of "aux fuse boxes" (1 from the main battery, and 1 from the aux battery) to run the stuff from, and some neat and tidy way of mounting it, and the associated relays.

Inside I have a number of aux 12v sockets powering stuff like a laptop, GPS, PDA, CB, and 500,000 candle power lamp when out shooting.
Outside I have 2 IPF spots and 2 Hella Micro DE fogs mounted at bumper level, a rear work lamp, and 4 spots (when I order them) mounted on the roof rack.  I was thinking of running some multi-core cable up to a waterproof box on the rack, and running the lights from there.

How are you guys doing it (so to speak), and keeping things waterproof?  Photo's and any diagrams are really appreciated.

I'm hoping to get a kit list together, order the bits for assembly, and try and swap everything out in 1 go.

Cheers
Horness.

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
Wiring advice
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 16:11:20 »
i've got an aux battery in the loadspace, charged via a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) the battery feeds an aux fuse box fixed inside one of the cargo bins (5 seat disco)... this in turn feeds 2 sets of four ciggy lighters, a hard wired inverter, my extra high-level brake lights and will soon be running my emergency beacons and LED flashers.

the aux fusebox came from maplins, it takes the large glass fuses and is marketed at the chav car-hifi brigade, but its well made and only cost a tenner.

i've also got an earth hub/ bus bar fitted in the same place..
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

Offline floyd fan

Attack Member
Wiring advice
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 20:34:05 »

Quadzilla 500ES 4x4
Difflocks on demand

Offline Horness

Attack Member
Wiring advice
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 23:15:51 »
Quote from: "freeagent"
...the battery feeds an aux fuse box...

Sounds something like what I am trying to do.  Have the yellowtop, and an X-Eng charge kit, but I want to tidy up the wiring to make things easier to troubleshoot, and maintain.

Quote from: "Jonboy"

You mean something like this?
http://www.landrovernet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76588

Yes, something like that.  The link to the web site mentioned on there (also saw it on DOC recently) is useful, but I'm not 100% sure of what I need.  I'm going to have to do myself a diagram.  :wink:

Cheers Guys.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Wiring advice
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:38:01 »
Check out "Vehicle Wiring Products" web page, they do a modular fuse box system that can carry up to 5 modules. Each module can carry maxi fuses, normal bladed fuses, relays or a mix.

Not sure about the waterproof nature but it does have a cover.

I'm planning to use it as a distribution/fuse box with a 70Amp feed from the battery supplied across 6 maxi fuses, which then feed various ancillaries.

Offline Horness

Attack Member
Wiring advice
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:16:21 »
Quote from: "Skibum346"
Check out "Vehicle Wiring Products" web page, they do a modular fuse box system that can carry up to 5 modules. Each module can carry maxi fuses, normal bladed fuses, relays or a mix.

Presume you mean this one.

Cheers Skibum.

Horness

ChrisW

Wiring advice
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 13:00:23 »
The modular box looks nice but what puts me off is very little of the fuses or relays are standard motor factor off the shelf stuff.
To get a main fuse for the box you need to use a maxi-blade fuse module - one fuse for the box but what do you do with the other 5?
For accessory fusing you have to use mini-blade fuses and for switching it's either micro-relays or forego the space saving and just have space for two standard size relays per module.

You've either got to pay out for a certain amount of spares or wait while replacements are delivered.

Using their RB4U 4way relay mounts and standard sized blade fuse holders would be a much better solution for future replacements as you can still use standard off the shelf parts without having to hunt around.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Wiring advice
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 14:25:14 »
I bought a water=resistant box from Maplins and fitted some rubber blanking gromets to it, drill the gromet for a wire to go through and it's nice and woterproof.

One work of advice, when you fit a relay inside a plastic box it will get hotter than left under the bonnet, take this into account and always use a relay bigger than you think you need.

M y electric fans cook 30amp fused relays and they have one EACH :shock:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal