AuthorTopic: Wheel Arch kit for 5 Door  (Read 337 times)

Offline Kevin McDonagh

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wheel Arch kit for 5 Door
« on: November 18, 2006, 09:46:40 »
Has anyone fitted a exteded wheel arch kit to a 5 door disco 1...is it very difficult?...what does the door look like on the inside when its finished...just, it looks a big job :?

Offline Sheddy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wheel Arch kit for 5 Door
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 10:26:34 »
The front and rear sections are easy.  The thing to do is to attatch the front flares useing masking tape so you can stand back and take a good look at them and when your happy with them, screw them on.  Then mark around the inside of the arches with a paint pen, remove the arches and then cut the wing out.

The rear door is a git ...... no, two gits of a job.  Cut out a litle at a time, it takes ages.  When your happy with the fit and the way it lines up leave it attached with the masking tape and then attach the rear wing section with masking tape to check that it all looks right.  Then start cutting some more out of the door to get it to line up, then check it with the rear section attached ...... and so on untill its attached.

The front wings took me about 40 minutes each, the rear wings about 25 minutes each but getting the doors "just right" took ages.

To finish the underneath part of the door, first go over it with P40 fiberglass filler, then with P38 body filler and finally gun some stone chip over it.  I was lucky as my Disco is black and so was the stone chip finish, so spraying over it to match the body colour wasn't necessary.  It ends up lookin fine.
1991 Disco 1 V8 modded

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal