AuthorTopic: New to the 4x4 scene!  (Read 1311 times)

Offline dredgey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
New to the 4x4 scene!
« on: November 14, 2006, 19:48:43 »
Hi to all!

I'm totally new to the 4x4 scene, but am hoping to get into it! I currently drive an imaculate VR6 VW Corrado which I love, but I'm considering selling it in order to fund a new car. I need something thats relatively new, and that will work as an everyday car as well as something that I can take off road.

I did one of those off road days in a Jeep Cherokee and absolutely loved it! So I'm considering buying either a new shape or the boxy older one similar to the one I drove on the day.

What I really want to know though is how they are regarded on the 4x4 scene? Are they good off road? Are they costly to run? if so, whats determined by 'costly'. Are they reliable when using for occasional off road use? Whats the better of the two - the new shape or the old shape???

Whats the better engine? I'd want to go for a manual and notice that they only come in a 2.4 sport and a 2.5 diesel?

Another question I have - I've been following the VW scene for years and of course theres plenty of modifications available to make them go faster, look more individual, etc etc. - is this the same for the 4x4 scene other than the obvious bigger tyres and raised suspension?

finally can anyone point me in the right direction for a good place to buy a 4x4?

thanks to anyone for any help they can offer!

Here's a pic of me getting my first taster of driving a 4x4!

Offline KD

Attack Member
New to the 4x4 scene!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 20:30:51 »
hi mate

welcome to the addictive world of offroading!

best bit of advice I can give you, is buy a cheap cherry for offroading & keep a normal car for everyday use!! you will soon get the modding bug & you will find it easier & probably cheaper to have a dedicated offroader! the hassle of cleaning it ready for work, fixing it when you break something after a day in the mud will soon wear off!!

xj's are really cheap at the moment, so go pick one up for about a grand & learn with it!

I know loads of folk who have modded XJ's (like in your pic), me included & they are very capable offroad. go for a 4 litre with plenty of spec like aircon, leather etc.....the 4 litres also have an auto box which to most folk i know is easier to use offroad!!

Where are you anyway? You are welcome to come have a nose around my XJ.......

Plenty of Jeepers here to talk to:

www.rockznrutz.com
www.rockznrutz.com - we do it coz we can!

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
New to the 4x4 scene!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:46:17 »
For modding check out the web sites for 4wd hardware and Quadratec as a starting point :wink:
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
New to the 4x4 scene!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 17:35:45 »
That and KD has a good supply of spares for XJs :)

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
New to the 4x4 scene!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 11:40:36 »
Quote from: "EvilEd"
That and KD has a good supply of spares for XJs :)

Really..he keeps that quiet! :lol:
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal