AuthorTopic: wobble at speed Disco 200td1 1990  (Read 647 times)

Offline lyndon

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
wobble at speed Disco 200td1 1990
« on: November 14, 2006, 14:09:37 »
Hi ladies and gents. This is my first post. So please be gentle with me.

I have just purchased a 1990 G reg Disco 1. It has just flown through an MOT.

Last week I had an experience where whilst overtaking a lorry I had a very bad shaking through the steering wheel. I checked everything, bearing in mind I have no experience with mechanics pther than the odd job driving tanks in the army.

It didn't re occur until on my way to work this morning when at 55mph it crept back in. It stopped when I slowed down a bit and started again when I went over a bump?.

Whats causing this?

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 15:21:56 »
Barrett

Welcome to the Mud Club

Steering vibration can be caused by lots of things including Tyre pressure, Tyre Balance, Wheel Bearing play, Swivel bearing play, Steering componants worn ie ball joints

Do a search on the forum for steering wobble or vibration

Darren
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline Dr.Ed

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 16:20:38 »
Had this on my 200TDi discovery - vibration through the steering wheel at 65mph, got the front wheels balanced and problem went away - the fact that one wheel needed >200g of lead to balance it showed where the problem was!

Certainly one of the easiest and quickest checks you can do for this problem (after tyre pressures) most tyre places only charge about £5 per wheel however much lead goes on.

Ed.
Ed Walker

"Real life is for those who can't handle Real Ale"

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 16:35:58 »
Quote from: "dazzawhipple"
Steering vibration can be caused by lots of things including Tyre pressure, Tyre Balance, Wheel Bearing play, Swivel bearing play, Steering componants worn ie ball joints

As Darren said there can be lots of causes but they are all fairly simple to check involving not much more than a jack. After checking tyre pressures for the most obvious problem try these:

First, jack up front end and climb underneath. Check all the ball joints for excessive play, there should be some movement (they are felxible joints after all) but if there is free movement they need to be replaced.

Next, grip each front wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock and give it a wiggle. If you feel the wheel move with reference to the hub (you'll probably feel a definite stop at the extremes) then it'll be the wheel bearing.

Repeat this for each wheel at the 12 & 6 o'clock positions and if movement is present it's your swivel hubs.

If all of the above is fine, then look at steering damper or swivel preload.

Any of the above is do-able with a good manual and a half decent toolkit but the swivels in particular can be complicated if you have no experience rebuilding things.

Finally, it's time to get the wallet out and get the wheels balanced.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Skibum

Offline Paul.K/LuckyTrucker

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 19:33:06 »
Hi there, I had a similar thing on my 200tdi. Swivel bearing adjustment +one new track rod end and problem sorted
Best of luck with it.
www.tv4x4.co.uk
Cheers LuckyTrucker

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 21:04:56 »
Dont forget to check your bushes too
The panard rod ones tend to throw steering in to a wobley mess
 8)
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 23:15:32 »
get your tracking checked, it almost eliminated the steering wobble on mine........
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 00:16:10 »
Hi Barret,
welcome to the Mud Club. I had a similar problem on mine as well. Mine turned out to be loose panhard rod bolts (bar that connects the axle to the chassis); that wasn't picked up on the MOT.
Any probs, PM me I'll see if I can help out in any way with the spanner wielding bit. I'm not sure where Tadley is, but if its in Hampshire, thats close enough for me.
Cheers

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 01:13:04 »
The above is by no means an exhaustive list but those are the usual suspects.

On the wheel sbearings, had a mate come over at the weekend, excessive play in a front wheel but a litle concerned that he could feel it top and bottom but not side to side, "is this the swivels then?"

Simply, and luckily no.  The brakes clampo the disk and prevent you feeling the full extent of wheel bearing play.  The best ting to do is rock the wheel from the top, even if the car is on the floor and feel the disk withing the calliper, if it moves then it's bearings, if the whole lot moves but not the disk within the calliper it's possibly the swivel.

Be very careful that the brakes are on though, fingers into moving parts and all.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline lyndon

Attack Member
Wobble
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 07:07:27 »
Thanks gents. I had 4 new tyres fitted last night so I will see how she goes today. Then start from there.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal