AuthorTopic: Winches Again  (Read 19270 times)

Offline Sharpshooter

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winches Again
« on: November 12, 2006, 17:00:24 »
Hi All. Im thinking of getting a winch for the 110. I havnt got loads of money to spare, but wondered what you all thought of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-winch-4x4-or-recovery-winches-12000-lbs-12v_W0QQitemZ300047486187QQihZ020QQcategoryZ31348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can make the bumper no probs.  :D

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 17:04:00 »
Wow £18 postage! Well I guess they do weigh a bit :? They are quite near me but unfortunately you arent or I would offer to collect it for you!
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Winches Again
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 17:14:23 »
horrible cheap nasty copy of the cheap t-max winch
stay clear as the cheapness wares off soon and bits u up the  :roll:
my opinion superwinch epi9, its perfect for generall use i used one on me 90 for a year but now upgrading to 8274
danny
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 17:29:53 »
Thanks for the offer Sleepless.

Biggreen. I cant warrant spending £500 on one to be honest. Maybe if i used it more often, then i would....

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 18:24:17 »
Quote from: "sleeplessparadise"
Wow £18 postage! Well I guess they do weigh a bit :? They are quite near me but unfortunately you arent or I would offer to collect it for you!

The one I'm looking at is postage free
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-winch-4x4-or-recovery-winches-12000-lbs-12v_W0QQitemZ300047486187QQihZ020QQ

Click the pic get my NEW site

1988 2.5td manual Shogun SWB

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 19:05:19 »
i shall be buying one of those at some point,
if you look through the listings theres another make of winch that look almost the same and they have a 2 year warranty.
if you make sure its maintained properly it should give you years of service.

no doubt, superwinch and warn ect are 'better' products, but i cant justify spending that kind of money on and old truck.

Offline SteveG

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 19:17:48 »
bought with bumper as a package and without fairlead and rollers my EP9 cost 300 pounds.

Sealed contacter of EP9 cost 45 notes on their own and are worth the difference for reliability alone.

Cheers

Steve

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 19:33:52 »
you can get a fully rigged epi9 for 420 quid from rebel 4x4
thats rigged everything cables, wire, snatch block, remote
all you need do is fit it
epi9 comes with a albright sealed contactor as std so no canister solenoids to burn out after 2 minutes winching like other winches
just tryna save money for you as you be spending alot more on one of them winches replaces blown gearbox's and solenoids
just aint worth the money
whist the t-max are good budget winches they suffer alot of blown gearbox cases that blow even when not fully loaded
its just my opinion but i wouldrather have no winch than 1 of them as they will fail very quickly and just when you dont want it costing you another few hunderd quid to put right when you could have had a damn good winch for just 150 ish quid more that will last months before requiring a clean up
danny

http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 19:33:59 »
hmmm, Rollazuki might be along in a mo but incase not his winch went pear shaped last time out. Had it a few months and hadnt really abused it. When cont the importers they said as the winch had been used for offroad all warranties are INVALID.
Yup thats right warranties arent worth the paper they are written on. Self recovery is not what they are designed for apparantly. So we came to the conclusion of buying cheap is cheaper to replace..... it wasnt one of those but way more expensive...the winch had been underwater but not operated...it was full of crap.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 19:43:36 »
what winch was it bulli ?
my epi9 lasted 3 events and 4 months of drowning before it died and needed a clean out  :shock:
its never let me down  :shock:
the huskey gives in with its stupid cannister solenoids before the ep lets go
as for buy cheap replace cheap it costs more to keep replacing than to buy a decent winch that doesnt need anything doing
the brushes have only worn about a 1mm on the motor and armeture is like new
its just worth that extra 200 quid for the peice of mind that its not gonna fail miserably on you
warrantys are only valid on recovery trucks as the dont get used offroad
even the warn warrantys are void if used offroad  :shock:

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 19:50:01 »
Quote from: "Mudlark"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-winch-4x4-or-recovery-winches-12000-lbs-12v_W0QQitemZ300047486187QQihZ020QQ

The postage isnt free...... collection is free or postage is £18 by other courier :?
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 20:00:24 »

The postage isnt free...... collection is free or postage is £18 by other courier :?

twood help if I opened my eyes a bit I suppose :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

On the subject of cheap Vs dear, I agree that buying cheap is not a good thing if you only have to use the winch once in it's lifetime and it burns out before getting you out then it's a complete waste. However at what stage do you start paying extra just for the name? Because I reckon that is what you are doing with Warn for one.

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 20:08:41 »
warn unless you compete or do very very serious playing i wouldnt bother !
what im saying is from my own personal experiance and past experiances the superwinch epi9 is the perfect general use winch
itll see you through alot of things...ive used it to do 3 tough winch challenge events and alot of heavy offroading for 4 months and it only failed on me cos i was using it whilst it was submerged in mud  :shock:
superwinch is a budget winch, but a damn good budget winch at that with a very good reputation behind them !

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 20:10:26 »
Tmax Outback. I guess it had got kinda wet when I think back, and as the supplier pointed out, it aint a submarine!
To be fair , 'tradewinch' have been great and helped me out loads., so Im forever in their debt, but what we do to winches is horrible and abusive.
Id think twice about eblag, from someone you have never met etc. www.tradewinch.com  have loads of models, cheap to megabucks, and are grrreat.

Just one word of warning, if you do buy one, and dunk/soak it from time to time, please strip and rebuild with lots of wd40 and grease and stuff. water and muck gets in the damn things everywhere, and if you only use/look at your winch once every month or two(like most of us) then they get full of water and mud and it sits and corrodes, and it STOPS!

If its got soaked, give it some lovin' eh!

Rollazuki
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 21:33:15 »
However at what stage do you start paying extra just for the name? Because I reckon that is what you are doing with Warn for one.

Well i dont for one. i think they make damn good winches, lets face it its horses for courses. Ive had a cheap winch and it was great . It got abused and never quit. My xp 9.5 is way , way , way quicker...doesnt sound like its full of broken glass and pulls way stronger then any other i have seen outside the competition scene. The guys competing use warn most of the time so doesnt that give you a wee hint.
I dont think its the rolex syndrome more the lada v volkswagon......
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Winches Again
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 22:30:14 »
My first winch was a GEW 10000 and I had it for about 18 months without problems, not that it was used that much. I can think of 6 occasion when it was used in anger, 3 were towing building site 4x4 forklifts out of bogs in the village!
Then the motor failed while I was trying to recover Tonka Toy from a sand dune. A new motor for this winch is £120 +, about the same price as one for the Warn XD9000 I have on there now.

Sure, the Warn was more expensive but it's a better quality winch, powder coated (not sprayed), has a faster motor, it's quieter and I can get spares at any number of outlets, unlike the GEW.

The choice, as always, is yours but I won't be going for another cheap winch if the XD9000 ever gives up the ghost.  :wink:

Offline Sheddy

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 09:34:37 »
Hers a bit of aworry for you ....
http://www.winchtest.com/
1991 Disco 1 V8 modded

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 10:43:19 »
Winch users rarely use their winch to full capacity every time they use them so it is understandable if they have a high opinion of their winch.

Incidently I foresee a lot of "Use plasma you won't get the problem" comments arising from this report BUT I know at least one manufacturer that stats that only the winch wire supplied by them must be used otherwise the warrantry is void and that is superwinch

So if Warn is the same?

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 11:39:10 »
what i think has been said is that NO warranty is valid for what we do.....

i think that test is is some way bogus. I just cant believe that the cable failed so easily when they are made in the land of litigation. If they did fail so easily surely we would have heard of vast legal cases...lets face it if you can get 13.5 mil for pouring hot coffee on yourself imagine how much you could get for lost limb due to line fail.....

just food for though!
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 12:46:52 »
Bulli,

You only have to read the first page to wonder about the report...  look at the  name of the person who commissioned it...  not exactly an impartial party !
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Sheddy

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 13:01:58 »
Further to that, I also question thier test rigs ..... aforklift truck?  A metal bollard which seems to be a factory safety device?  They use that but are able to commision the building of a slope to simulate real world use?

I requested the video which arrived this morning.  I haven't watched it yet but when I do I'll report back.
1991 Disco 1 V8 modded

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Winches Again
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 13:27:44 »
Just what I was thinking Tim.
If you look, the tests were done in 2001. Now I'm sure that if these were the results of the tests then someone at Warn would have been informed and I hope that any work that needed doing to sort the problems would have been carried out over the last five years.

If the reported failures have continued, don't you think it may have come to light in the general 4x4 press as a winch with a bad reputation for failures?

Plus: I've got a Plasma rope and Albright solenoid pack fitted to it, I know my battery clamps are secure and I tend not to chain my Disco to the structure of a building with a forklift on the back of it!!  :wink:

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 19:49:05 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Bulli,

You only have to read the first page to wonder about the report...  look at the  name of the person who commissioned it...  not exactly an impartial party !

somebody trying to prove a point about a certain winch maybe eh tim  :wink:
not metioning any brands but i did find this report some time ago tho whilst looking at a certain hydraulic winch  :shock:
danny

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 20:43:30 »
Quote from: "Sheddy"
Further to that, I also question thier test rigs ..... aforklift truck?  A metal bollard which seems to be a factory safety device?  They use that but are able to commision the building of a slope to simulate real world use?

I requested the video which arrived this morning.  I haven't watched it yet but when I do I'll report back.

Don't forget that they were testing at maximum tonnage which is something that we'll never do, in fact we'd be more likely to use a snatch block before we got anywhere near that loading.

What they were prepared to do is test to destruction and the wire failed - it shouldn't have failed until around 9 tonnes was applied (twice it's load rating)

Just goes to show that winch makers are prepared to cut corners.

Quote from: "Bulli"
i think that test is is some way bogus. I just cant believe that the cable failed so easily when they are made in the land of litigation. If they did fail so easily surely we would have heard of vast legal cases...lets face it if you can get 13.5 mil for pouring hot coffee on yourself imagine how much you could get for lost limb due to line fail.....

Yes but don't forget this has only been proved in a test lab not in use, when it happens in use then the court case will happen

I know you lot are going to give me stick but why not try it, anchor your truck down and pull the maximum load 4.5 - 5 tonnes whatever your Warn is rated at see what happens :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 20:51:18 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Bulli,

iam a bit thick Tim, could you explain

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 20:56:02 »
The report was done for Mr. Richard Aho of Mile Marker, Inc. (as in winches) :wink:

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 22:31:08 »
snatch block....whats a snatch block  :lol:
i only use um to change direction of pull  :lol:
never doubled up no matter how hard the pull
ive neaver been in a stall situation, only then would i double up
as for damaging motors
dont matter when got facilities to fix  :lol:
shouldnt do it really but hu cares if it blows get another  :twisted:
danny

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Winches Again
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 23:13:03 »
I know you lot are going to give me stick but why not try it, anchor your truck down and pull the maximum load 4.5 - 5 tonnes whatever your Warn is rated at see what happens :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Why would WE want to, needlessly, try a stunt like that to satisfy YOUR curiosity?

Go buy your own Warn and try it if you believe a 5 year old report so much!  :roll:

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 23:17:19 »
Quote from: "Budgie"

Why would WE want to, needlessly, try a stunt like that to satisfy YOUR curiosity?

Go buy your own Warn and try it if you believe a 5 year old report so much!  :roll:

ill do it with me huskey on rear  :lol:
my bet is solenoids burn out befor anything breaks  :wink:
all wire rope supplied with new winches come with a cert of approval from the manufacturer, so therefor its not warns fault for the rope failure, its the rope manufacturers fault for misleading warn with there dumb figures
danny

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
Winches Again
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 23:18:41 »
Quote from: "Topple"
why not look at these

http://.....LINK MODERATED ........

I've looked they're too expensive :lol:  :lol:

You're not telling me they're more expensive than Superwinch are you?

My thoughts are on a Champion at the moment probably their heavy duty range

Unless I can get a nice mechanical winch with a Shogun pto

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal