AuthorTopic: The K-series 'Issue' - HGF  (Read 1081 times)

Offline NeilT

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
The K-series 'Issue' - HGF
« on: November 10, 2006, 13:04:56 »
Hi,

I'm new here, looks like a great forum for someone like me who is looing to replace my little used van for a Freelander so that I can do some off-roading when its not used for towing my race car.

It seems alot of people have concerns about the K-series head gaskets, and as an owner of 2 K-series engined cars, i thought i'd pass on some info.

My 1998 218iS did 125k miles before blowing its HG. It had FSH, and was only used to drive 150miles commute a day until I bought it with 123,000 miles. i did notice a slight oil leak in front of No.1 spark plug, and thats where it eventually went. On replacing with an eBay HG set, I fitted a modified head that I had laying about.

My other car is a 1998 216i Race car. The car started as a 211i, and I later fitted a 1.6 from a crashed car, 76k miles, and no oil leaks.

At the same time of buying the 1.6 engine, the HG failed again on my 218iS, only 500 miles after the first time. I then heard about the new LR designed HG, a multi layer metal gasket, with a seperate heat sing shim that adhears to the head once warm, this stops the heat spots thats can cause Cracking, it also helps as the K-series warms up very quick, which has caused in winter months.

I fitted the modified head from the 218iS onto my race cars 1.6 engine, and the head from the 1.6 onto the 218iS engine (the 1.6 & 1.8 have the same bigger valves than smaller K's).

So far so good..... its done about 300 track miles, at 5000-7000 rpm, most of this was in 22-30 degrees summer heat, and its been 100%.
I also had the thermostat removed on the race car as it allows the engine to heat up slower.

LR also do a redesigned bottom plate, but this is not really needed. The best thing though is the price of the HG from LR dealers. If you lift the head complete with manifolds etc, you only need the HG its self, and tat only £27, although most dealers will give a 10%, so i paid £23'ish.....

When NAC-MG release the new MG's next year it will incorparate this new HG into the Euro-4 K-series engines, and it should become a whole lot more reliable.

Hope this helps......

BTW, I'm looking at buying a Freelander Di, my budget wont allow a TD4, as good as they are, and i'm not sure the 1.8 will have the torque and economy I need for towing and off-roading, plus the problem of getting water in the HT system.

Is the Di quite reliable?
Neil
Looking to buy a Freelander Di For towing and fun!!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 17:16:37 »
The older diesel is a slogger of an engine. They seem fine on reliability, but not the quickest thing on the block.

You may find the the biggest problem is finding one. There are, not surprisingly, plenty of K series ones on the market. Despite it's reputation, it was still the biggest seller.

If you could stretch to a TD4, they are very good. Very torquey and quite quick for a 4x4.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline NeilT

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:31:51 »
Cheers Steve,

I am tempted by a K-series, and of course the first thing I'd do is get the new type gasket fitted regardless of whether the gasket looked ok, or not. My only reservation about the K-series is the lack of torque off road, and also the issue if getting the electrics wet when off roading. There have been a few Di's on AutoTrader recently for £2500, but theres also a lot of top spec 1.8's for that too.

Either way, it must have ABS, HDC & A/C for me to consider it.
Neil
Looking to buy a Freelander Di For towing and fun!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal