Offline chizy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Bloxham
  • Referrals: 0
ABS
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:03:12 »
Have a 93 Classic 300Tdi Soft Dash.Got it back in March with the ABS light on,fair enough, good haggling point.Turned out it was the gaps on the sensors.Sorted.The pump then started to behave like a git!
Sometimes it would pump on ignition,then it wouldn't.Plugged it into AutoLogic and it showed error codes that pointed to faulty pump.Managed to source another pump,working fine,pumping when it needs to,shutting off when it doesn't-wonderful.Happy ABS system.Not for long I fear.
This Saturday the ABS and TC light have come on and stayed on, pedal felt odd (ABS type resistance BEFORE actual brake pressure) and then during the evening a sharp dab on the brake to avoid a taxi pulling out of a side street all four wheels locked and stayed locked!!!!
Switched engine off and after about 40 ish seconds the calipers realeased and we were off again-warning lights still on and pedal still feeling weird.
Re-created it on Sunday (not on main road this time) and stuck head under bonnet while lock up waggling wires and hoses.Release after 40 ish seconds.
Went back yesterday to get plugged in and error codes only showing "front right wheel sensor open circuit and air gap".Unplugged block connectors from block,pump,ecu- didn't realease.Sure enough after about 40 seconds, the calipers released.
My gut feeling is that the ABS block is the root of this evil, some valve sticking or something inside.
Should I fix or just rip out the ABS and go back to good ol' servo??
Has anyone else out there ever experienced or heard of this happening before.Any suggestions will be welcomed.Driving quite slow at the moment because I have disconnected the ABS pump to prevent lock up on the road,brakes are just as poxy as my Series 3 Landie!!!!!!
Thanks in advance

Offline baileys_1984

Attack Member
ABS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:29:48 »
had a sim prob a while bk sent motor into garage for minor repair he seized my caliper up on the way to garage replaced it at my cost then the actual repair which was just manifold gasket said they sent wrong gaskets and put old 1 back on with gasket selant then said cuz caliper seized the disk was had it and could only get them in pairs then phoned me to say that when he went to drive it to bring it bk he touched the brake pedal and all 4 wheels just locked up and only way to unlock wheels was to undo a bleed nipple on a wheel to release the presure i went and looked a few others had a look only way to move the car was to unplug the abs pump so it did not pump up so almost £200 to get my car back and no brakes bodge job on gasket and no 1 knew what was wrong with car not even land/rover could sus it out so i gave up ripped out abs and now its got the good old fashioned stuff as u could guess i was not happy
Bailey

Offline chizy

Attack Member
    • Bloxham
ABS
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:44:25 »
Flipping heck! I thought I had it back by waiting for the system to release it's self.Un doing the nipples-ouch!
When I first got the Rangie, one piston had siezed on the nearside font.Stripped down a replaced all the seals and pistons, the other caliper was tickedy boo.
It's just proving to be a right pain because everyone I speak to have never heard of it before.We all agree it's the block, so I'm going to get me a block and a couple of sensors for the front and see how it goes.If it is still doing it, then servo here we come!!

Cheers for the reply

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
ABS
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 16:45:12 »
I'd suggest you buy a S/H ECU and try that as there is obvioulsy far more wrong than a sensor out of range.

Also, try the blink test, it often gives different results to the testbook.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
ABS
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 16:46:07 »
P.S your car is illegal with the ABS pump disconnected and is probably only braking on the front primary circuit.

DO NOT DRIVE IT, if anything happens you will get thrown to the wolves.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline chizy

Attack Member
    • Bloxham
ABS
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 13:52:54 »
Cheers for that. Have access to another ECU for testing purposes.Will let you know how we get on or don't.
Defo down to more than just an iffy sensor. ECU or block- either way a bit of an a**e!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal