AuthorTopic: 1st Gear gone walkies!  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Matt_H

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
1st Gear gone walkies!
« on: October 05, 2004, 23:25:01 »
On the way home tonight I pulled away from a roundabout and it dropped out of first somehow (I thought it may have just popped out as I may not have put it in properlly)... Next set of lights went to pull away and nothing but a whirring noise, 2nd through 5th are all fine though.

It's been hinted at it's either something major requiring a gear box swap or a selector fork, and I've no idea what kind of job fixnig one of those is.. Either way I've not got the facilities to drop a gear box.

Can anyone help or recommend a decent place to diagnose and or replace?  I'm in Basingstoke Hampshire.

Car is a G reg 200tdi by the way

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/ have been recommended so far with a drive in drive out day service costing  Ã‚£795 which includes exchange and new clutch.  

Any help or comments gratefully appreciated (especially as the new kitchen will now have to wait :-(    )

Offline Benji

Attack Member
1st Gear gone walkies!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 08:17:22 »
That doesn't sound to bad to me.
I recently had a new gearbox plus transfer box without the clutch (that was new anyway) and that came to £1300.

There is a modification that land rover 'forgot' to do to the gearboxes when they made them, something to do with an oil hole onto a bearing, or something like that which should be done on the replacement box but double check with whoever changes it for you that it has been done.

Try and use a recommended recon manufacturer as i heard that some are much worse than others.

Good luck!!!
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
Ifor Williams box trailer (my office),
Yellow labrador with permanant 4 paw drive!
www.messypups.com

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
1st Gear gone walkies!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 11:59:53 »
The clutch only made it £70 cheeper if I didn't have it done and when I bough her I was told she'd recently had it replcaed (not sure I totally beleive them) but for the sake of £70 I may as well have it done.

Is the mod thing you are talking about for the transfer box, I seem to recall you can get an oil splasher kit that fits where the PTO cover is, is that the same thing?

Thanks
Matthew

Offline Benji

Attack Member
1st Gear gone walkies!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 18:21:25 »
Wouldn't have a clue mate,  sounds about right tho

Muddy web - Wanderer - Lord B, this is were you guys step in with the correct info!!!
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
Ifor Williams box trailer (my office),
Yellow labrador with permanant 4 paw drive!
www.messypups.com

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
1st Gear gone walkies!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 18:40:26 »
Tim'll be your man for this one.

But have a look at
http://www.sf.hiof.no/~frodehaa/Gearbox.htm#Input%20gear

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
1st Gear gone walkies!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 20:57:24 »
hmm, me is getting confused, let me see if I've got this right.

The transfer box needs a splasher or cross drilled input gear otherwise the main gearbox mainshaft wears?  :roll:

Ashcroft (mentioned on that website link) are doing my gearbox swap so I'm guessing they could also fit an input gear at the same time as the main gearbox will be out so shouldn't add any real labour cost.

Thanks guys n girls!
Matthew

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
1st Gear gone walkies!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 19:16:00 »
Gearbox mainshaft (output) is transfer box first motion shaft (input).  Look at the pictures in LRO mag adverts, one shaft sticks out of either end of the box.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal